• Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Hardware Maintenance Thread - BLOD, YLOD, DRE, and other known issues

PG Pioneering Member
      PG PIONEERING MEMBER

I am:
      Cool

Gamertag: Shyanide PSN ID: ShyberDaddy Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SHYBER119
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      15.49%
      Ok, I'm opening this thread up again but any off topic posts won't be tolerated.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      69.75%
      Thank you shyber,
      Great tutorial, and to yes Arctic Silver is the best thermal compound available. It does wonders for OCing, from 103 degrees to 60 degrees just by using Arctic Silver.

You Could Never Understand

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      71%
      Is yellow ring of death can be cured once it is apeared!

PG Pioneering Member
      PG PIONEERING MEMBER

I am:
      Cool

Gamertag: Shyanide PSN ID: ShyberDaddy Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SHYBER119
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      15.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by Faisal View Post
      Is yellow ring of death can be cured once it is apeared!
      Yeah. This thread is just about that.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Amused

PSN ID: Rahimamir786
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      39.38%
      Quote Originally Posted by Shyber View Post
      False alarms guys. PS3 has built-in failsafe for overheating. First of all, it never heats up to alarming levels no matter how intense the use. The only reason it'll heat up is because the fan might get defective, or cease to work. In that case, the PS3 switches off itself and shows the yellow light for caution.

Still, I can't stress enough. THIS IS A VERY RARE phenomenon, practically non-existent in the newer 45nm 40GB afterwards models.
      That is kinda wrong my friend cuz the 40gb onward models are all 65 nm yet and the gpu in the 40gb was still 90nm. 45 nm ps3s are expected at the end of this year. The best bet with a <1% chance for ylod is the current 65 nm (2 usb port) 80 gb nd the 160 gb as they have a 65 nm gpu also. Cheers

PG Pioneering Member
      PG PIONEERING MEMBER

I am:
      Cool

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      15.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by Rahimamir786 View Post
      That is kinda wrong my friend cuz the 40gb onward models are all 65 nm yet and the gpu in the 40gb was still 90nm. 45 nm ps3s are expected at the end of this year. The best bet with a <1% chance for ylod is the current 65 nm (2 usb port) 80 gb nd the 160 gb as they have a 65 nm gpu also. Cheers
      Right, I mixed 45nm with 65nm and 65nm with 90nm.
      In any case, my point was that the 40GB and onwards had improved chips.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Fine

Gamertag: noman3000 PSN ID: noman3000
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      11.54%
      Plz somebody tell me how would I know that is my 40 GB PS3 is 45nm or 65nm or etc?
      BTW 45nm is safer or 65nm?
      just enjoy gaming

PG Pioneering Member
      PG PIONEERING MEMBER

I am:
      Cool

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      15.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by noman3000 View Post
      Plz somebody tell me how would I know that is my 40 GB PS3 is 45nm or 65nm or etc?
      BTW 45nm is safer or 65nm?
      40GB is 65nm. There's no 45nm model yet. And if it's a PS3, it is safe.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Fine

Gamertag: noman3000 PSN ID: noman3000
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      11.54%
      Quote Originally Posted by Shyber View Post
      40GB is 65nm. There's no 45nm model yet. And if it's a PS3, it is safe.
      Thanks
      But I couldn't find 45nm is written on PS3 and it's box. BTW, what does nm stand for? And what do u mean by "if it's a PS3, it is safe", any doubt? lol
      just enjoy gaming

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Amused

PSN ID: Rahimamir786
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      39.38%
      Actually the 65 nm is safer than the 90 nm as the 65 nm generates less heat.........At the same tim yopu must look at the fact that the old 80 gb (90nm) is not prone to such an error easily.The reason is not the fact that 65 nm generates less heat.....It is the fact that the 60 gb and 20 gb have issues with the fan............ The ps3 is a steady machine built like a tank and not a cheap plastic toy like 360... the heat levels can also be reduced by applying new thermal paste (gud quality please) on the cpu and gpu.......... It is not a over heating problem like on the 360 when the cpu and gpu (which are literally stuck with glue) come off or become loose........It is merely a problem of the fan which stops working......
      For your help here is a link to model differences between the ps3.You can easily check yours then..
      As for the ps3's cooling options, here is a detailed paragraph taken from edepot.com:
      The PS3 uses Furukawa Electric heat sinks to cool the Cell and RSX chips. As the PS3 went through various hardware revisions, the cooling technology was also updated. In summary, CECHA to CECHD used five heatpipes to cool the chips. CECHE to CECHG used 2 heat-pipes. From CECHH and later models, no heat-pipes were used, although Cell and RSX aluminum heat-sink cooling was introduced. Variations (merged block and separate blocks) of this aluminum heat-sink started with CECHL. The primary objective of these changes were to lower the weight, parts count, and cost of the PS3.
      I hope I helped mate..........
      btw : replacing termal paste on the ps3 opens up ur ps3, destroying resale value. (PLEASE be sure before you do this)
      also: 45 nm versions are expected this year: ( so wait if you want the most reliable ps3 ever) these will have a 45 nm cpu and (possibly later) 55 nm gpu.
      thank you