• Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Predator: Hunting Grounds is fierce, frantic, asymmetrical combat

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      8585.71%
      Lv. Percent
      94.26%

Predator: Hunting Grounds is fierce, frantic, asymmetrical combat

A look at the elusive hunter

IllFonic released a new trailer for the upcoming asymmetrical, cooperative or competitive action game Predator: Hunting Grounds during todayís Gamescom Opening Night Livestream, showing off much more of the game than the previous teaser trailer.
      The new trailer shows what itís like to hunt humans using the high-powered abilities and technology of the Predator, as well as what itís like to be hunted by one of pop cultureís favorite aliens on the ground.
      Very little additional information was given about the game outside of this quick look at the action of soldiers being picked off by the Predator. Predator: Hunting Grounds has a lot to live up to; the last asymmetrical game released focusing on the character was Aliens vs. Predator in 2010, which was oddly enough not a sequel to Aliens vs. Predator 2, but a reboot of the gaming franchise.
      IllFonic has previously released Friday the 13th, another asymmetrical multiplayer game, in 2017, but ceased support and DLC plans due to copyright litigation. Predator: Hunting Grounds is scheduled to launch in 2020 on PlayStation 4.

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      Daily Activity
      8585.71%
      Lv. Percent
      94.26%
      Predator: Hunting Grounds is fierce, frantic, asymmetrical combat

We go hands-on as the Predator and as a human soldier

Asymmetrical co-op combat game Predator: Hunting Grounds is about teamwork versus individual ruthlessness. Still in alpha form, and due out on PlayStation 4 next year, it’s a battle between a dangerous monster, and a group of less powerful human soldiers. It’s a fast game in which circumstances change rapidly. No matter which of the available roles you take on, playing the game is an exercise in switching constantly between the state of hunter and hunted.
      Developer Illfonic is best known for Friday the 13th, in which a crazed killer hunts a team of teenagers (and vice versa). Friday the 13th was generally well received, but ran into copyright problems, and is no longer supported. In Predator: Hunting Grounds, players either take on the role of a co-op team soldier with limited powers, or a single Predator who hunts them. In theory, a single monster will always kill a single team member. But multiple team members are more deadly, together, than the monster.
      The map I recently played was set in an ancient forest, but I’m told to expect a variety of maps and modes in the final release. Various installations are manned by hostile AI warriors. In the demo mode I played (which is available at PAX West this week), the soldiers are tasked with various missions which generally involve infiltrating buildings and killing swarms of AI enemies. They must survive the Predator, or kill it. The Predator’s only concern is hunting the human players, though it is also viewed by the AI as an enemy.

When I play as the Predator, I am a powerful hunter who can leap through trees, make myself invisible, and see through solid objects. I wield vicious weapons, including deadly knives and a plasma rife.
      However, I am alone, and I’m vulnerable when my human enemies work together. Their ability to tag me once I’m spotted is especially noisome. If I am incautious, or slow, I can easily find myself caught in a (figurative) net as my enemies close around me. I only have a limited amount of energy to spend on my invisibility cloak and my super-vision.
      Also, it’s not enough for me to merely kill my enemies. I have to go through the rigmarole of ripping their skulls and spines out of their bodies, an action that leaves me exposed.
      When I play as a soldier, I can choose between various classes which complement my three teammates. My guns and throwables cause significant damage to AI enemies. I have a few health syringes, when things get hairy. If I’m smart about teamwork, I can be revived and even reincarnated during a mission.
      However, if I am separated from my squad, I am extremely vulnerable, most especially to the Predator. It is an opportunist which will rip me apart if it finds me alone or injured. The AIs are pretty easy to kill, but if I’m injured and require reviving, they will hang around to take out my teammates.
      Playing the game, I felt the thrill of the hunt. I enjoyed working with teammates to avoid being slain by the Predator. We even managed to kill it on one occasion. When it was my turn to be the Predator, I enjoyed the thrill of pursuit. I felt like a cat, watching mice, gleefully waiting to pounce.
      It’s worth noting that asymmetrical co-op monster-vs-squad games can sometimes struggle when they’re released into the wild. Turtle Rock’s doomedEvolvecomes to mind, althoughPredator seems to have a heavier focus on environmental gameplay, and less complexity in terms of the monster’s abilities, which may work in its favor.
      Predator: Hunting Grounds is due to be released on PlayStation 4 in 2020.

Resi Evil 4 > Your fav game.
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Starving

Gamertag: CHANDOOG PSN ID: adnan791986 Steam ID: chandoog
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      35.16%
      I don't remember if I said this here or ERA, but this looks like Evolve with a licensed skin. Let's see how it does.