• Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How do I convince people that the problem is the motherboard, not memory?

PG Newbie

I am:
      ----

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      23%

How do I convince people that the problem is the motherboard, not memory?

I had Galaxy put together a system for me in August 2018: i5 8400, Corsair 4 x 8 GB 2400, Gigabyte H370-D3H. Everything worked fine until earlier this year when I noticed Firefox acting weird under Linux, followed shortly by a BSOD when I rebooted to Windows. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics and memtest86 (the EFI version from their website), and both would erratically report a problem with the memory, no matter how many sticks I put in.

I had the memory RMA'd and it took them five weeks to get back to me and say the memory's fine, it must be your board. So, I let them test the board. Then they said one of your memory sticks is bad, the rest are fine. Look, it works flawlessly under WMD when we take that bad stick out! They didn't know of (or try) memtest86, and I suspect if they'd tried the standard or advanced WMD tests, they would've run into the errors eventually. The problem also shows up with one of the last few memtest86 tests (test #7), and if you don't disable tests 3-6 you'll end up waiting a long time for the error to show up.

Since they don't have the patience here to run a full battery of tests, what can I do to convince them to replace my motherboard? My warranty runs out soon.

PG Newbie

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      23%
      Update: the gave me the replaced RMA'd memory stick, and I tried memtest again. Still fails. I ran a few more tests, and it looks like if I have sticks in all four slots or in #1 and #3 (same channel), memtest shows errors.

My warranty runs out in about two weeks. Is there anyone I can reach out to who can help with Galaxy?

Lazy guy :s

I am:
      Bored

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      88.27%
      Can't you just put in the RAM stick they consider to be ok, once in each of the four slot. If the test shows errors then whatever slot it was in is the faulty one? Since both of you know the mem stick is fine

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Fine

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      37.68%
      Take all four sticks out, give your mem slots a good clean by compressed air. Clean memory stick edge connectors by using a eraser (ensuring static protection).

If this does not work: Take the cpu out of the socket ensure all the pins in the socket are properly aligned. If the error is erratic it just might be that one of the pins is not making a good enough contact with the pad on the cpu.
      Since out of alignment pins is usually not covered in warranty it is better just to get a magnifier and see for yourself.

If this does not work & If socket is okay: Try running one pair in paired slots and see if the error pops up (try mix-match until you can narrow down slot which always pops the error).
      If the error only pops up with all 4 channels occupied then it could be the mem controller on CPU (this is rare but i have seen it happen)
      My YouTube Channel: Game Endings

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Confused

Steam ID: mbk0076
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      50.41%
      Quote Originally Posted by mapcar View Post
      Update: the gave me the replaced RMA'd memory stick, and I tried memtest again. Still fails. I ran a few more tests, and it looks like if I have sticks in all four slots or in #1 and #3 (same channel), memtest shows errors.

My warranty runs out in about two weeks. Is there anyone I can reach out to who can help with Galaxy?
      Report or Threatening them to FIA would be last resort i think, if they still refuse to honor the local warranty!