• Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Question about PTA DIRBS system.

PG Rookie

I am:
      Confused

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      83.05%

Question about PTA DIRBS system.

Salam.

I know multiple questions have been asked about the DIRBS system. But I am going to the UAE for several days and I am considering getting a phone. but I was recently told that the PTA have removed the one extra phone exemption on duty/tax for travelling on your passport rule w.e.f from July 1st.

I just wanted someone to clarify what exactly is the situation in regards to this rule. And another question is if they dont allow a second phone on my own nic/passport, doesnt it mean that i would have to pay duty/tax on any new phone even if brought locally.

This system is just plain confusing.

TIA

Global Moderator
      Global Moderator

I am:
      Busy

Daily Activity
      1800%
      Lv. Percent
      38.68%
      Quote Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
      Salam.

I know multiple questions have been asked about the DIRBS system. But I am going to the UAE for several days and I am considering getting a phone. but I was recently told that the PTA have removed the one extra phone exemption on duty/tax for travelling on your passport rule w.e.f from July 1st.

I just wanted someone to clarify what exactly is the situation in regards to this rule. And another question is if they dont allow a second phone on my own nic/passport, doesnt it mean that i would have to pay duty/tax on any new phone even if brought locally.

TIA
      They said the free phone rule would be removed from 1st July onwards. Not sure if they removed it or not though.

I'd highly recommend registering an account on the DIRBS website before travelling so that your data isn't misused later. Once you register, if the option for registering 1 free device is still there, then you should be able to do it. If it isn't and you still want to bring a device from abroad, you'll have to pay an insane amount of taxes and duties on it.

Secondly, when buying devices locally, if they're being sold with official warranty, then they're already PTA approved. Some devices without official warranty have also been approved using some suspicious methods, so I wouldn't recommend going for those.

Mobile King !

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      714.29%
      Lv. Percent
      23.74%
      Quote Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
      Salam.

TIA
      No free registration anymore after 1st July.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Cool

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      61.49%
      I read it in mewspaper its gone and now you have to pay 30% tax on the original price even if the phone is 5 yrs old

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

PG Superstar

I am:
      Confused

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      95.44%
      Quote Originally Posted by error View Post
      No free registration anymore after 1st July.
      Any source?

Mobile King !

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      714.29%
      Lv. Percent
      23.74%
      Quote Originally Posted by Faateh View Post
      Any source?
      Source PTA facebook page