I am:
      Amused

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.95%

Solar System.

Do you guys know any reliable company/person in Karachi for installation of solar system in home? Secondly, is solar system worth it or there are better alternatives available. Thanks.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      44.13%
      what equipment/appliance do you intend to run on solar? how much power does it consume? do you get periodic loadshedding?
      answer these question please and then I can properly guide you.
      just fyi
      broadly speaking there are two types solar setups
      off grid
      on grid.
      off grid : solar powers load and goes to utility/battery (i.e. K electric) in absence of solar power. also solar power output should match or above required load. most cases requires batteries
      ongrid: also called grid tied usually doesn't require battery. combines solar and utility power to adjust load and sells excess solar power back yo grid ( requires system be installed by AEDB approved vendor). downfall. system shuts off when utility fails i.e. loadshedding.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Amused

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by aura View Post
      what equipment/appliance do you intend to run on solar? how much power does it consume? do you get periodic loadshedding?
      answer these question please and then I can properly guide you.
      just fyi
      broadly speaking there are two types solar setups
      off grid
      on grid.
      off grid : solar powers load and goes to utility/battery (i.e. K electric) in absence of solar power. also solar power output should match or above required load. most cases requires batteries
      ongrid: also called grid tied usually doesn't require battery. combines solar and utility power to adjust load and sells excess solar power back yo grid ( requires system be installed by AEDB approved vendor). downfall. system shuts off when utility fails i.e. loadshedding.
      First of all,thank you for responding. 5 fans,5 led bulbs,1 computer. That's all! Yes,loadshedding is a major issue in our area.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Busy

Steam ID: Str1k3rX
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      74.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by shahoo View Post
      Secondly, is solar system worth it or there are better alternatives available. Thanks.
      Worth it? Definitely.

I have a 6kW hybrid solar setup @ home with net metering enabled, just waiting on the electricity meter to be replaced. As per the calculations that I did before installing it, I am most likely going to zero out on the electricity bill (i.e. No bill, will go surplus on bill).

If you have any questions, shoot.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      44.13%
      fan has power consumption of 80 watts. that's 400 watts. lets say computer has good gfx card so it will take around 200 watts. 12watt led bulb going to have 60 so total load is going to less than 700 watts.
      here is thing about solar panel power rating, a 325 watt solar panel only produces 325 watt at 25 C and at 1000 W/m2 of sunlight. this 325 rating is STC rating (standard test conditions). so don't assume 4 x 325 watts are going to cover your load.
      what you need to look at is NOCT rating which is less (around 240 watts) and their is temperature derating as well. higher temp. means lower output typically and if temp. is low ( less than 25 C) output is higher.

usually when sizing PV power you take panel power and multiply by .70~.75 to get idea of how much power you will get at peak times.
      rest is choosing solar inverter and battery capacity.

regarding installation I suggest you visit market and search facebook/olx to get quotes. I did it myself small setup 2 panels and inverter (already had UPS installed wich was replaced with solar inverter) so no additional wiring.
      One thing to remember is to consult datasheet of inverter you are going to buy because usually inverters are rated for higher capacity then the PV power they support at least low power models. for e.g. 1 KVA axpert inverter only takes 600 watt of PV power. same goes for some 3 KVA modes , max PV power is 1500 watts.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Amused

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by StrikerX View Post
      Worth it? Definitely.

I have a 6kW hybrid solar setup @ home with net metering enabled, just waiting on the electricity meter to be replaced. As per the calculations that I did before installing it, I am most likely going to zero out on the electricity bill (i.e. No bill, will go surplus on bill).

If you have any questions, shoot.
      How much did this system cost you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aura View Post
      fan has power consumption of 80 watts. that's 400 watts. lets say computer has good gfx card so it will take around 200 watts. 12watt led bulb going to have 60 so total load is going to less than 700 watts.
      here is thing about solar panel power rating, a 325 watt solar panel only produces 325 watt at 25 C and at 1000 W/m2 of sunlight. this 325 rating is STC rating (standard test conditions). so don't assume 4 x 325 watts are going to cover your load.
      what you need to look at is NOCT rating which is less (around 240 watts) and their is temperature derating as well. higher temp. means lower output typically and if temp. is low ( less than 25 C) output is higher.

usually when sizing PV power you take panel power and multiply by .70~.75 to get idea of how much power you will get at peak times.
      rest is choosing solar inverter and battery capacity.

regarding installation I suggest you visit market and search facebook/olx to get quotes. I did it myself small setup 2 panels and inverter (already had UPS installed wich was replaced with solar inverter) so no additional wiring.
      One thing to remember is to consult datasheet of inverter you are going to buy because usually inverters are rated for higher capacity then the PV power they support at least low power models. for e.g. 1 KVA axpert inverter only takes 600 watt of PV power. same goes for some 3 KVA modes , max PV power is 1500 watts.

Thanks man!

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Busy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      74.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by shahoo View Post
      How much did this system cost you?
      160k 5kW on-grid 3-phase inverter (for net metering)
      340k for 6.125kW PV panels (market rate is Rs.55/w)

70k for off-grid/backup inverter (for when wapda goes down)
      220k for a 48V battery bank (24 x 2V cells of 300AH capacity)

100k misc for wiring/frames/earthing/net-metering consultancy etc

We overspent on the battery bank, you can simply get the 12V UPS battery and reduce 100-120k on that.

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      60.52%
      160k 5kW on-grid 3-phase inverter (for net metering)
      340k for 6.125kW PV panels (market rate is Rs.55/w)

70k for off-grid/backup inverter (for when wapda goes down)
      220k for a 48V battery bank (24 x 2V cells of 300AH capacity)

100k misc for wiring/frames/earthing/net-metering consultancy etc

We overspent on the battery bank, you can simply get the 12V UPS battery and reduce 100-120k on that.
      Which brand/model of inverter and PV plates. How much warranty?

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Busy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      74.59%
      Quote Originally Posted by imranirfan View Post
      Which brand/model of inverter and PV plates. How much warranty?
      GoodWe inverter and JinkoSolar plates. 5yrs for inverter and 10/25yrs for panels.

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      60.52%
      GoodWe inverter and JinkoSolar plates. 5yrs for inverter and 10/25yrs for panels.
      Installed yourself or from any service provider