• Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Turn your pathetic old monitor into a GAMING MONITOR for free!

On Training

I am:
      ----

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      34%

Turn your pathetic old monitor into a GAMING MONITOR for free!

Have you ever found yourself drooling over those fancy G-Sync and FreeSync Monitors with variable refresh rate you could never afford? If so, it's your lucky day!

Things you'll need:
      1. An Nvidia GPU. Sorry AMD fans and Integrated Graphics users, you're out of luck! Go home, lads.
      2. Nvidia Inspector.
      3. Any old, beat-up monitor with 60Hz refresh rate. CRT monitors works too!

Procedure:
      1. Make sure your GPU is running on the latest drivers. My GPU (GT440) is running on 391.35, BTW.
      2. Download Nvidia Inspector (Google it).
      3. Open the application and under Vertical Sync select the option called "Fast Sync".
      4. Voila!!!

Now, your garbage old monitor will miraculously behave like a G-Sync monitor with no screen tearing no input-lag!!

Disclaimer:
      This procedure works at any frame rate but ideally, the game must be running at 45+ FPS as FastSync cause some micro-stuttering at low FPS (30ish). In my experience 60FPS is ideal, and anything beyond is fantastic.
      Last edited by Zer0; 19-05-19 at 11:27 PM.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Stressed

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:69141102
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      83.01%
      Fast sync can be enabled with Nvidia control panel too, no need to download additional software. And while it's nice, it just doesn't compare to variable refresh rate technology. Also it some games crash on start-up with it on, so I don't recommend setting it globally

Edit: AMD also have it's own version of this, known as enhanced sync

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using Tapatalk

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      34%
      1. Yes, FastSync can be enabled in Nvidia Control Panel but... That option is only available on GeForce 600 Series GPUs onward. Whereas Nvidia Inspector allows it to force it on ANY Nvidia GPU. I've tried it on an 8800GTS and it worked like a charm!

2. On paper, FastSync doesn't compare to VRR tech, true. But in reality, the difference is absolutely minimal. FastSync counters screen tearing by only displaying complete frames, uncomplete frames are discarded so when you're playing at 60FPS with FastSync on, you might actually be seeing "only" ~55FPS. If you think those extra 5 frames are worth Rs.150,000/- rupees then go ahead!

3. As for the so called "Enhanced Sync"; AMD is always copying and playing catch-up with Nvidia, so no surprise there!
      Last edited by Zer0; 20-05-19 at 07:53 AM.

PG Addict

I am:
      Bored

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      40.56%
      Fast Sync works well if your game outputs at least twise the fps that your monitor can handle. So on a 60hz panel you'd need at least 120fps or more.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      34%
      FastSync works well at 60FPS or whatever your refresh rate is and of course; the higher you go the sweeter the experience gets and at 75FPS onward, everything gets extremely fluid without a hint of screen tearing so that 2x FPS of the refresh rate remark is mostly inaccurate, I'm afraid.