Stressed

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:69141102
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0.34%
      Lv. Percent
      35.65%

Need help with rooting Sony Z5 compact

Hello all, my brothers old Xperia z5 compact (SO-02H) is getting sluggish by the day plus battery barely holds up for a single day of moderate (no games) use. Checked the battery stats and phone idle was draining the most battery. I've done all I could to save battery usage like greenifying, naptime, disabling apps, reducing animations etc all that I can on an unrooted phone.

Seeing that I have decided to root this device and completely remove all the bloatware it comes with and maybe later down the road flash a newer ROM. But for right now I need help with rooting this phone since this is my first time ever doing this. I need the foolproof method of doing so. Tagging some members @murtaza12 @abobobily and others

Looking forward to your responses.

Edit: forgot to mention, it runs Android 7.0

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 Plus using Tapatalk
      Last edited by iampasha; 02-05-19 at 09:10 PM.

Global Moderator
      Global Moderator

I am:
      Busy

Daily Activity
      34.14%
      Lv. Percent
      71.66%
      Quote Originally Posted by iampasha View Post
      Hello all, my brothers old Xperia z5 compact (SO-02H) is getting sluggish by the day plus battery barely holds up for a single day of moderate (no games) use. Checked the battery stats and phone idle was draining the most battery. I've done all I could to save battery usage like greenifying, naptime, disabling apps, reducing animations etc all that I can on an unrooted phone.

Seeing that I have decided to root this device and completely remove all the bloatware it comes with and maybe later down the road flash a newer ROM. But for right now I need help with rooting this phone since this is my first time ever doing this. I need the foolproof method of doing so. Tagging some members @murtaza12 @abobobily and others

Looking forward to your responses.

Edit: forgot to mention, it runs Android 7.0

SO-02H is the Japanese Docomo variant of the Z5, so that, plus it's age, can explain the crap performance. 'Phone idle' usually means it's draining due to poor cell signal, or a crap WiFi router (if WiFi is enabled), or a combination of both. Plus, the Snapdragon 810 is Qualcomm's biggest mistake ever. It's is like a portable oven.

Now without even checking XDA, and just speaking from memory, this is how the rooting / custom ROM scene is on Xperia phones:

1) Someone has created a pre-rooted stock ROM. All you have to do is flash that once, and it is already bundled with root access. However, since the phone is old, the ROM is old, and was probably created a few years ago, it's most likely rooted with SuperSU, and not Magisk. I would NOT recommend this option. Unsafe and no one will give you support in case anything goes wrong since SuperSU is an abandoned project.

2) The complicated method. Unlock bootloader, lose DRM keys forever, get crap camera and audio quality because of that, but flash a custom ROM or just root existing stock ROM with Magisk, only to squeeze out maybe 30 minutes of extra battery life by forcing doze earlier than usual or something along those lines.

3) Phone can't be rooted since it's permanently locked, and you have no choice but to continue using it like this till it literally burns itself to death because of that horrible processor.

Sorry for such crappy options, but with Xperias, it's not really easy to do this stuff, and the benefit isn't that great in the end.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Stressed

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:69141102
      Daily Activity
      0.34%
      Lv. Percent
      35.65%
      @murtuza12 I see. The payoff isn't worth the effort. I'll tell him to avoid Xperia phones in the future.