• Nerdy
  • Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hisense 55U7A review, 55" 4K HDR 120Hz for 84K, is it worth it?

On Training

I am:
      ----

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.6%

Hisense 55U7A review, 55" 4K HDR 120Hz for 84K, is it worth it?

I have an old Sony 46CX520 & a new Samsung 55Q7FN but wanted a cheaper 50-55" for upstairs Living room, I was looking at TCL 49C6 (MSRP 105,000), Samsung 49NU7100 (112,000), Sony 49X7000F (105,000) and Hisense 55U7A (115,000) but then this TV was on sale for Rs.84,000 on Big Friday by Daraz & Hisense, so it was cheaper, bigger and better in some specs on paper, so I bought it. I ordered it on 23-11-18 (Friday night) and received on 27-11-18 (Tuesday morning), so received by TCS on 2nd business day which is pretty good. Wall mount comes included and is of good quality and is sturdy but has slim designed so that the thin TV does not stick too much out of the wall. Unboxing the TV was a good experience, TV was packed pretty well. Once I was installing the legs (table stand) for the TV, the included screws did not fit, so I called the service centre number from the warranty card. Turns out, screws in my box were of smaller model, so the Service guy delivered the packet of correct screws to my house the same day, that kind of service was very re-assuring to me, since this was the first product I bought from Hisense. So I setup my TV, tested everything and in short version, I'm very happy with my purchase, longer version read below;

First of all, there are a lot of specs that are not on Hisense's Pak website or Daraz's page, so let me clarify few things; This 55" LED Tv has max resolution of 4096x2304 at 60hz. What is this resolution? Well, 4096x2160 is the size of real DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives) 4K. The odd 2304 height is the result of using the true 4K width and a 16:9 aspect ratio. This resolution is selected so that 4K video can be shown at its native resolution. This is also why the new screens use a DCI-P3 color gamut: to conform to DCI's 4K standards. This Tv also has 3840x2160 (also called 4K or 2160p) at 60Hz and it can also run on 1920x1080 (also called Full HD or 1080p) at 120hz (more on that below), these are true refresh rates. Of course you can run multiple resolutions and refresh rates including 24hz for movies. Read the AVForums review of this TV for their professional opinion, only thing different from UK/EU model to this Pakistani model is that it does not have Bluetooth and hence the firmware is different. The firmware that comes shipped is of April, 2018 and TV reports that no new updates available, however, for UK/EU models there have been several firmware updates after that, which Hisense Pakistan & Tri-Angels need to improve.

It has 2 speakers in the back, not 4 speakers like the picture on Daraz, might be of 65” model. Its a VA panel so viewing from off centre are not good, as you go away from centre the colours start to fade and blacks turn to grey. It does not have a True 10-bit panel, but it can display 10-bit colours via it's 8 bit panel with FRC. It has Wide Colour Gamut (WCG) & HDR10, it does not have Dolby Vision or HDR10+ support though. It is neither a Full Array Local Dimming panel nor does it have Direct Backlight, but it has 1056 Local Dimming Zones (1056 in 65", lesser in 55") via it's Elite Backlight which uses Edge lighting & Backlighting to control local dimming. It works very well. I tested the TV screen with multiple images of White, Black, Grey and test patterns from Internet but did not observe any lighting problems like blooming, edge bleeding, black/grey non-uniformity, dirty screen on white image or any other issues. I was very surprised by the level of quality, frankly I was expecting lots of issue that's why I kept testing but couldn't find any.

The picture quality is good, colours are little bit over to make them pop, but I found good calibration setting from AVForums. Peak brightness is at 250-280 nits in HDR, I found that this TV performs better in HDR when curtains are closed. Even with the room lights full on, the HDR is good, but with sunlight in the room, the HDR is dark. I liked this TV so much that I have it downstairs in my living room and connected to my HTPC. About 120Hz, this TV does not have 1080p120hz in it's supported resolutions, but I found out from AVForums post that you have to make custom resolution for 1080p120 hz and now it runs on 1080p120hz perfectly, games run smooth at 120FPS with no noticeable input lag. I keep the resolution to 4K60hz normally coz of movies & YouTube. Only issue is that you have to manually switch to custom resolution before running any game, because the games only show native resolutions. First boot takes 10 seconds, from standby it’s just 2 seconds.

TV Hardware & Software seemed sufficient because Netflix & Youtube app run at 4K60hz very smooth. In YouTube app running 4K HDR 60 FPS videos, there are no frame drops, same in Netflix. This TV runs on Hisense’s own Android software, but there is no Google Play Store, so I could not install PTCL’s Smart TV App, which I really wanted. UK models come with BBC’s iPlayer, so selling this in Pakistan without PTCL’s Smart TV app pre-loaded doesn’t make sense. Website & specs say that it supports Multicast Android & iOS, but it does not support Apple AirPlay screen mirroring natively, it supports screen mirroring on iOS via third party iOS apps that have Multicast feature.

It's very bright in SDR and bright “enough” in HDR, for it's price, but comparing it to my Samsung Q7FN, it's not as bright as QLED, but at 1/3rd the price the difference in brightness is not 1/3rd. Also, Q7FN has 120hz till 1440p while this one can only do 120hz till 1080p, plus Q7FN has FreeSync/VRR which helps if you have an AMD graphic card.

Overall I'm happy with the TV, however, I would like Hisense Pakistan (Tri-Angels) to release Firmware updates alongside UK/EU models, include PTCL’s Smart TV App and include 1080p120hz in firmware as native resolution.
      Last edited by Simonsayz; 07-12-18 at 11:22 PM.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Pensive

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      91.3%
      hi maybe break your review down into paragraphs. it'll be easier to read. otherwise good job!

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.6%
      Copied here from Word, it didn't catch the paragraph breaks, fixed it.

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Devilish

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      30.56%
      Also, a side by side show picture quality would be awesome. Because instead of reading pictures in TV reviews make most sense

My apologies if I missed the link if you pasted.

Good job!
      Likes Simonsayz liked this post

PG Superstar

I am:
      Happy

PSN ID: syeduzairahmed Steam ID: faizan913
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      34.58%
      Thanks for the write up btw when you say you have Q7FN is it the 2018 model as you mentioned free sync support? I'd really like to know where to get one in Pakistan and for how much thanks

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.6%
      Quote Originally Posted by OmMeE View Post
      Also, a side by side show picture quality would be awesome. Because instead of reading pictures in TV reviews make most sense

My apologies if I missed the link if you pasted.

Good job!
      You didn't miss it, I didn't post any pics, I took few pics but realised that the camera doesn't capture the correct colours or the brightness of the TV, I have watched a lot of TV reviews on HDTvtest and now I know that Vincent is right; can't replicate a TV picture quality, it will depend on the camera that captured and your own viewing device. Video/Pictures taken of the TV from a camera that you view on your own device, too many variables in-between, Camera adjusts the brightness coming from the TV and lowers its gains, colours are not exactly reproduced and HDR can't be captured properly off a TV. Audio & Video equipment is difficult to capture on review, you have to take the word of the reviewer or watch/hear in person, which I strongly recommend, have a look at this TV in a showroom if you are in the market to buoy one. But turn OFF the SHOP Mode in the TV settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UzairAhmed View Post
      Thanks for the write up btw when you say you have Q7FN is it the 2018 model as you mentioned free sync support? I'd really like to know where to get one in Pakistan and for how much thanks
      It;'s on sale at HomeShopping for 275K, I got mine few months back for almost 300K.
      Last edited by Simonsayz; 07-12-18 at 03:05 PM.

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.6%
      for example, in this image taken by my Canon T2i with a 50mm Prime, I have all my ceiling lights ON, but it looks like a dark room and made the TV too bright, can't read the Tabs on top, also that background colour on forum is dark grey and in the picture it looks blueish.

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Simonsayz; 07-12-18 at 03:17 PM.

On Training

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.6%
      It's on sale again on Daraz on their 12.12 promo, with code DMD5000OFF comes down to 86K, it seems you can't stack vouchers, coz I had 2 vouchers of 2000 OFF as well, but you can only apply one code at one time.