----

Steam ID: fraction_n
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      33.57%

C++ on Macs

So someone just dropped off their Macbook to me and they want an IDE for C++. They're looking for something like VS but they don't have an Apple ID for some reason or another (or don't want to share it or something, it's really weird). So I need beginner-friendly IDE suggestions for C++ (something that doesn't require Xcode I guess). I've never used Macs in my life (and trying to do stuff on it was frustrating to say the least), so a comprehensive answer/guide would be appreciated.

★★★☆☆

I am:
      Fine

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/qdecim
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.6%
      Quote Originally Posted by frac View Post
      So someone just dropped off their Macbook to me and they want an IDE for C++. They're looking for something like VS but they don't have an Apple ID for some reason or another (or don't want to share it or something, it's really weird). So I need beginner-friendly IDE suggestions for C++ (something that doesn't require Xcode I guess). I've never used Macs in my life (and trying to do stuff on it was frustrating to say the least), so a comprehensive answer/guide would be appreciated.
      You don't need XCode, but iirc you do need xcode tools which can be downloaded without downloading xcode itself for developing various apps. As for the IDE you can Use CLion by Jetbrains.
      Likes frac liked this post

On Training

I am:
      Busy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      49.97%
      I think if someone is used to visual studio there would be definitely a learning curve . XCode or CLion as mentioned in previos post you could make them to work. If he/she is beginner for sake of learning using Visual studio code or Sublime editor would be a lot better but obviously you would have to make configuration .
      XCode is most reliable and suitable option if you have to stick to MAC i think safe option is learn it .

★★★☆☆

I am:
      Fine

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/qdecim
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.6%
      Quote Originally Posted by fahdanwar View Post
      I think if someone is used to visual studio there would be definitely a learning curve . XCode or CLion as mentioned in previos post you could make them to work. If he/she is beginner for sake of learning using Visual studio code or Sublime editor would be a lot better but obviously you would have to make configuration .
      XCode is most reliable and suitable option if you have to stick to MAC i think safe option is learn it .
      I would recommend vscode but it just doesn't seem feasible for a beginner to do configuration needed specially on a mac.
      Likes frac liked this post

PG Veteran

I am:
      ----

Steam ID: fraction_n
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      33.57%
      Yep they wouldn't know how to work on vscode or sublime. I've suggested xcode tools + clion to them. Thanks for your help.