• Yeehaw
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joker Officially Becomes The Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%

Joker Officially Becomes The Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever

Warner Bros. is developing a movie about the origin story for The Joker that will not be part of the DC Extended Universe. WB is only a few years into launching the DCEU and has done so to varying levels of success. Financially, the films have been box office hits, while the critical reception had been mixed at best, prior to Wonder Woman‘s success. The studio has no intentions on stopping the DCEU or its lineup, and has several projects currently in development with release dates staked out till 2020.
      But, the DCEU is not enough for the studio. WB is now intent on creating a new banner of the studio that will further explore the DC Comics characters at their disposal in new and interesting ways. To kick this off, an origin story for Batman’s most iconic villain is in store.

Deadline is reporting that The Joker will be the first film to come out of this new banner and has already lined up a director, writers, and one mega producer. The Hangover‘s Todd Phillips will direct the origin film with 8 Mile‘s Scott Silver co-writing alongside him. They will be backed by none other than Martin Scorsese as a producer, but THR cautions his involvement is still fluid. The film will star a new actor in the role, with this report pointing to a possible 1980s setting.

Moviegoing audiences have already seen three live-action portrayals of Joker, with Jared Leto’s being the most recent and controversial, but none have explored the character in this way – especially not with him being the focal point. What makes this film even more intriguing is it not being attached to the DCEU. This will allow the creatives involved to tell truly original and standalone films that take characters in drastically different directions than the main DCEU story, almost like the Red Son Superman movie Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts is keen on.

With so many shared universes popping up in Hollywood, this is one way for WB to keep their comic book movie lineup fresh and different. Even though the clamor for a Joker origin story may not be there now, the possibilities that WB would have with this new banner are unlimited. They would have the freedom to tell any story they desired and take a similar approach to their Elseworld comics. The lack of continuity holds the potential for something new, but also creates the chance for confusion.
      The question still remains why they would launch this idea with a Joker film that is already being criticized. A Joker origin story is not something many comic fans want to know, and it is an odd move to make with the DCEU finally hitting its stride. It will undoubtedly be confusing for many to see a young Joker film one year and then see Leto reprise the role with a different take in a different universe soon after. Recasting Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and so on for these films would also be surprising, possibly eliminating them from these stories.
      Clearly, this announcement raises a lot of questions, but also presents WB and DC’s characters with plenty of possibilities. With The Joker just starting to be developed, it may be some time before we start to learn more.
      Source: Deadline

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Stressed

PSN ID: Leeonchris
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      22.14%
      Joker origin movie should be The Killing Laugh with Batfleck in it

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
      Joker origin movie should be The Killing Laugh with Batfleck in it

The killing joke

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Stressed

PSN ID: Leeonchris
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      22.14%
      Quote Originally Posted by manigamer View Post
      The killing joke
      Lol yeah i mistyped it

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      The Walking Dead Actor Wants to Star in Joker Origin Movie

Actor Steven Ogg has expressed his eagerness to play Batman’s arch nemesis in the DC Extended Universe-separate The Joker standalone film from Warner Bros. Best known for his recurring role in The Walking Dead from season 6 – 7 and finally becoming a mainstay moving forward in the show’s upcoming eighth season as one of Negan’s (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) most loyal followers, the Canadian thespian has been doing work for the small, as well as, big screen and even dabbled a bit in video games. But nabbing the lead part in one of the most intriguing superhero films could definitely catapult his acting career to greater heights.
      Since news broke that Warner Bros. is exploring their DC superhero options outside of the DCEU, fans were shocked and confused about what the film studio is trying to do. Skepticism quickly clouded the project as it could undermine the recent massive success of Wonder Woman and the potential of Justice League and Aquaman if this separate pocket of DC film series kicks off. That said, with a talent like Martin Scorsese attached to produce the film and The Hangover director Todd Phillips set to direct, viewers arguably become more accepting of the idea and actors get interested in partaking in the production – including Ogg.

Speaking to CinemaBlend while promoting the upcoming season 7 Blu-ray release of The Walking Dead, the actor shared that he is down to take on the Architect of Anarchy in his upcoming solo movie:
      “It’d be fun. I mean, it seems to screw everyone up, whoever does it. They end up going a bit crazy, except if you look at Nicholson’s Joker. But what I was reading, and I’d love to do it, is the younger, like ‘how The Joker became The Joker’ is what they’re working on. So I’d assume it would be a younger person. But that type of character, there certainly would be a lot of interesting things to explore with him. I would love to do my own different take on it, on him. So yeah, if you’re offering it to me, I’ll take it.”

Despite all these talks about a separate Joker film, Jared Leto, who has been previously established as the DCEU’s version of the mad clown will still continue to play his role from last year’s Suicide Squad. While no official announcements have been made, he is expected to star opposite Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn in the Joker/Harley spin-off from Crazy, Stupid, Love directors, as well as, another appearance in the fast-tracked Suicide Squad sequel.
      As of now, there are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding the plannedJoker film. And arguably, while casting is obviously going to be a huge part on how people will receive this separate iteration of the character, other narrative aspects of the project are still very much unclear. It remains to be seen whether a separate Batman will be introduced (a pretty controversial idea given persistent rumors of Ben Affleck wanting out of his DCEU role) given how tightly integrated the characters’ stories are, as well as, what the long term implication of this standalone to the DCEU will be if it becomes a massive success.
      Source: CinemaBlend

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      Rumor: Joker Origin Movie Will Be ‘Super Dark & Real’

Warner Bros.’ recently announced Joker origin film may feature Batman’s classic foe in a dark and realistic way, and as a kid. With the DCEU still riding high off Wonder Woman‘s success and looking forward to a Joss Whedon-assisted Justice League in the fall, the studio has made the surprising move to create DC films outside of it’s already established shared universe. The studio plans to begin with a Joker origin film, making it a project to keep an eye on, as it will star a new actor in the role, be directed by Todd Phillips, and supposedly produced by Martin Scorsese.
      The all-new origin story is believed to take place in the 1980s, and be “a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film”. As is usually the case with rumors, a new one recently lined up with this assessment, and also managed to tease a look far back into Joker’s past.
      Related: How DC Movies Can Have 3 JOKERS Like DC Rebirth

MMA fighter-turned-actor Brendan Schaub was recently a guest on Joe Rogen Experience (via Batman-News) and during the interview, the topic of the Joker origin film was brought up. Schaub, citing second-hand information from Todd Phillips’ agent, Todd Feldman, shared what he’d heard about the project. (Obviously this means the information should be taken only with a grain of salt, and while there is no proof whatsoever that this is the direction the film will take, it does make for some fun conjecture.)

“My boy Todd Feldman put this together with Todd Phillips. It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”

Again, given the degrees of separation at play here, Schaub’s little tidbit is closer to an urban myth than an inside scoop on a movie that’s currently in the earliest stages of development. Still, making Joker a victim of bullying could raise some eyebrows. Following a bullied kid’s rise to become a psychotic killer and crime lord could make it a lightning rod for controversy, or it may result in the character being portrayed in a somewhat sympathetic light, which Joker is not.
      Concerns over the necessity of a Joker origin film are valid, but the character’s earlier days have been explored to some success in the comics, making this concept not nearly as outlandish as it seems.

Joker
      is currently in development and does not have a release date.

Source: Joe Rogen Experience (Batman-News)

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      What Leonardo DiCaprio Could Look Like As Joker

In the wake of the news that Leonardo DiCaprio starring in the Joker origin movie would be Warner Bros.’ pip-dream, digital artist BossLogic has delivered a fan art rendering – giving us a better idea of what Leo as the psychopath comic book villain could look like.
      DiCaprio is one of the biggest actors in Hollywood, an extremely recognizable face that’s become synonymous with quality performances and projects. Therefore, when the news broke that he’s the “dream pick” for the Joker origin movie that Warner Brothers and DC are working on, there were mixed reactions. For one, the film might be produced by Martin Scorsese, who is Leo’s go-to director since the two worked together on Gangs of New York in 2002. Plus, DiCaprio has shown himself to be a versatile actor through the years, making him a not-too-outlandish choice for the role. But is it possible that he’s too famous for the role, given how important it is that audiences see the Joker as a harbinger of destruction and not just another actor playing the character?

If you’re having a little trouble visualizing what DiCaprio as the Joker would look like, famed digital artist Boss Logic has put together a bit of concept rendering of what Leo would look like as the Clown Prince of Crime. Courtesy of Comic Book, BossLogic’s take on the potential casting (see the image below) mixes several of the previous iterations of the character. All made-up and psychopathically evil, DiCaprio looks like an amalgamation of the other adaptations of the infamous villain that have come before him.

At first glance, the rendering most evokes the menace and anarchist look of Heath Ledger’s Joker from The Dark Knight, right down to the colors used to bring the image to life. It’s important to note that their are several differences, as the hairstyle is more in line with the comic book character or even Suicide Squad’sversion played by Jared Leto. The creepy smile in the image certainly evokes classic Joker.
      It’s important to note that this DiCaprio news came courtesy of a feature piece by The Hollywood Reporter and is not official news, but merely insider talk about the studio’s intention. The chances of DiCaprio joining the project are “slim to none,” and in fact, Scorsese is not officially attached to the project yet either. What we do know about the Joker origin story for sure is that it’s set to be be directed by Todd Phillips (The Hangover trilogy, War Dogs) and is separate from the DC Extended Universe. There are many fans weary of the idea already, and others may well be confused by the out-of-universe approach. Still, keep checking Screen Rant for more news on this Joker origin film, including who Warner Brothers is able to actually land for the lead role.
      Source: Comic Book

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      Jared Leto Reacts to Joker Origin Movie, Teases His DCEU Future

Jared Leto has commented on Warner Bros. developing a new Joker film that will not feature him. The 30 Seconds to Mars frontman debuted as the Clown of Prince of Crime in David Ayer’s anti-hero ensemble film, Suicide Squad, last year. Unfortunately despite Leto’s method-acting technique and the impressive resume he has, DC fans were not exactly thrilled by his portrayal. Since then, rumors of his future as the supervillain have started to spread, which got worse when news of the separate project about the character broke.
      Not much is known regarding the production for the isolated Joker movie but a lot of big industry names are attached to it. Prolific filmmaker Martin Scorsese is being courted to produce the film while The Hangover director Todd Phillips is set to helm. No actor has been announced to take on the role, but recent reports claim A-list actor Leonardo DiCaprio is Warner Bros’ dream casting. With a talent roster like this, it’s no surprise that some fans are excited about the project. However, it poses a lot of other questions regarding how the project will affect the already existing DC Extended Universe, specifically Leto’s ongoing stint as the Joker.

While attending the Destiny 2 launch hosted by Bungie and covered by ODE, the 45-year-old singer/actor shared his candid thoughts with regard to the other Joker project and just like everybody else, he also seems to be clueless how everything is supposed to pan out:
      “I’m a little confused too, but yeah, there are a couple of things happening in the DC world and I loved the Joker, he’s a great character, a really fun character to play. It’s a big universe and when you play the Joker, there’s no ownership there. You have the honor of holding the baton for a little while and then passing it off. But there are other films in development and I’m excited to see what comes from them.”

Then again, we are talking about an Academy Award winning actor so it really is hard to decipher whether what he has said is his true comments about the ongoing commotion regarding the other Joker film or not. Earlier reports suggested that Leto was caught off guard when news of the other Joker film broke, but is committed to reprising his role in more films moving forward. Thus far, he is expected to appear in the Joker/Harley spin-off opposite Margot Robbie, from directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love), as well as, another appearance in the fast-tracked Suicide Squad sequel and Gotham City Sirens.
      In hindsight, it is unfair for Leto’s performance to be judged with just one outing. Usually, even one whole film is not enough to gauge how one actor could play a role, (case in point: James Bond) let alone with very limited screen time that could only amount to a small part in an already packed movie. It would be great if he is given more opportunities that are meant to help show off his acting skills rather than just peppering him in a movie that does not give him enough space to maneuver.
      At this point, the Joker origin film is still very much a mystery, even for those who are already working with Warner Bros. – like Leto. It is important to note, however, that amidst all of this, no official announcement has been released by the film studio so it is better to sit back and watch this whole thing to unfold before getting attached to any of the speculations and jump to conclusions.
      Source: ODE

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      Darren Aronofsky: Joker Origin Movie Resembles His Batman Pitch

Filmmaker Darren Aronofsky recently revealed Warner Bros’ Joker origin film sounds very similar to his early pitch of a Batman movie. Last month, news broke that Warner Bros. is developing a Joker standalone movie that would be separate from the already existing DC Extended Universe. The report quickly garnered interest from fans not just because it would be the supervillain’s first standalone film, but because acclaimed filmmakers are attached to the project. The Hangover and War Dogs director Todd Phillips will helm, while Martin Scorsese may potentially produce the film. It’s not clear how the studio will promote the movie separate from their existing banner, or how it will affect the DCEU moving forward, but latest intel on the Joker project suggests it will be very dark and gritty.
      Aronofsky is currently at the center of attention with his latest project mother!, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem getting critical praise ahead of its wide release this Friday. But while all eyes are on his current gig, it did not miss the director’s attention that some of his earlier concepts for a Caped Crusader standalone could possibly be used, ironically, for his arch nemesis’ proposed film.

While doing press for mother!, Aronofsky was asked by First Showing about his known previous attachment to a shelved Batman project dubbed Batman: Year One, a collaboration he did with Frank Miller. The version of Batman’s story is a little different from the comic book origins – Bruce Wayne is a homeless, orphaned boy, adopted by Big Al who grows up to fight crime wearing a ski mask, cape and brass knuckles:

“You know what, I think it’s finally… I think we were basically – whatever it is – 15 years too early. Because I hear the way they’re talking about the Joker movie and that’s exactly – that was my pitch. I was like: we’re going to shoot in East Detroit and East New York. We’re not building Gotham. The Batmobile – I wanted to be a Lincoln Continental with two bus engines in it.”

Despite his early Batman concept not coming to fruition, Aronofsky added that some bits and pieces from his darker version eventually made it to the big screen via other projects, particularly Zack Snyder’s Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice:
      “Some of my ideas got out there through other films. Like the ring with “BW”, Bruce Wayne’s ring making the scar was our idea and I think that was in Zack’s or something. Which is fine, you write these ideas and they get out. We were all about reinventing it and trying to make it more Taxi Driver visceral. That was the whole pitch. But the toy people were like, “Oh it can’t be a Lincoln Continental, you have to make a Batmobile.”

Aronofsky’s comments do not seem to be intended to bash Warner Bros. or Snyder. It simply is an acknowledgment that some of his concepts have been adapted by other filmmakers in other projects. That said, it is interesting to wonder how Batman would be perceived now if his Year One project was greenlighted more than a decade ago. While there have been various iterations of the Bat of Gotham in film and other media, his origin story has remained the same all throughout.
      Source: First Showing

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      2142.86%
      Lv. Percent
      25.05%
      First Draft of The Joker Script Expected Next Week, May Shoot in 2018

New intel claims the script for The Joker origin movie is expected to be turned in next week, indicating filming may start in 2018. Separate from the already existing DC Extended Universe, the Warner Bros. film is developing at an unusual speed as it has only been a few weeks since news broke of The Joker origin movie being in development at the studio in the first place.
      With The Hangover and War Dogs director Todd Phillips on board to direct, and critically-acclaimed veteran filmmaker Martin Scorsese reportedly interested in the project, it’s hard not to get excited for the film. Reports suggest it would trace the history of the Clown Prince of Crime as a bullied child who would still strive to keep an optimistic perspective, which is obviously very different from the Joker fans know. So we can expect a slew of events that would factor in his turn to the dark side, perpetuating rumors that it would be a very dark and gritty movie.
      The latest report comes from Variety’s Justin Kroll, who broke the news via his official Twitter account. Without name dropping any sources, he shared an update on Warner Bros’ Joker origin movie.

This may come as a surprise considering that when word of the project first came out, it sounded like everything was still fluid – even Scorsese’s involvement. And now, the first draft of the script is apparently being finished, which makes us curious about when Warner Bros. really started developing the movie. Most importantly, will this be another case of a rushed job, like Suicide Squad, which writer/director David Ayer only had few weeks to pen. The end result of that production wasn’t entirely successful, ut and it would be a gamble to risk having the same thing happen to one of DC’s most iconic characters, especially when it is supposed to launch a brand new film series.
      At this point, we do not know what exactly Warner Bros. is aiming for with this Joker origin story film or for this DCEU-separate banner. But if Kroll’s tip holds true, the project’s fast-tracking is an indication that the film studio is up to something with regard to this. Lest we forget, however, that despite the fact that Jason Momoa and Jame Wan’s Aquaman is the only DC-film slated for release next year, there are other previously announced movies under their superhero cinematic universe that will be in various stages of development. Shazam! is slated to kickoff principal photography next year and a slew of films that already have release dates are expected to also start pre-production, like Wonder Woman 2.
      Additionally, the nagging question regarding Jared Leto’s future as the Joker still begs answers. When asked regarding the separate origin story featuring the character but without him, the Academy Award-winning actor seems as confused as everyone else. He previously shared that he is committed to reprising his role in more films moving forward including the Joker/Harley spinoff opposite Margot Robbie, from directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love), the fast-tracked Suicide Squad sequel and Gotham City Sirens.
      Source: Justin Kroll