• Yeehaw
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Joker Officially Becomes The Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      81.72%
      Mark Hamill Praises Joaquin Phoenix's Joker

The Jokermovie has received a ringing endorsement from an actor who may be more familiar with the source material than anyone else: Mark Hamill. Thereviews of Joker are already divided between the audience and the critics, and it's already one of the most controversial films of 2019 due to its content. However, the one aspect of the movie that has been almost universally praised is Joaquin Phoenix's performance as the Joker.
      There have been many actors who portrayed the Joker over the years, and many of them were considered to be legendary performances in their own right. The actor who has played the Joker the most is Hamill, who has regularly voiced the character in animated projects and video games since 1992. Hamill most recently voiced the Joker in an episode of Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?which was broadcast only last month. There are many who consider Hamill to be the definitive version of Joker, especially following the mixed reaction to Jared Leto's version of the character in Suicide Squad(thoughHamill also praised Leto's interpretation of the Joker in the past.)

Joker is now in theaters and both critics and fans have flocked to see the film. One of the most ringing endorsements for the film has come from Hamill onTwitter, who has praised the reimagining of the character and has given the film two thumbs up. You can check out his post, below.

The release of Joker has been met with controversy, which has only been compounded by Phoenix's characteristic strange behavior in interviews. The controversies surrounding Joker have done little to diminish enthusiasm for the film, which is already set to have a huge opening weekend. Joker isn't likely to pull in anywhere near the kind of money that Avengers: Endgamemade in 2019, but it's still set to have an impressive showing for a film that is intended to be a standalone DC movie with an R-rating.

Joker is already considered an Oscar contender and Phoenix's portrayal of the title character is looking like a serious challenger for the Academy Award for Best Actor in 2020. Heath Ledger posthumously won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as the Joker in The Dark Knightback in 2009, and it's possible that Phoenix might be able to perform a similar feat during the 92nd Academy Awards in 2020.

Source:
      Mark Hamill/Twitter

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      81.72%
      Joker Breaks October Opening Day Box Office Record

Joker breaks the all-time October opening day record at the box office. For a while now, the film has been expected to do very well commercially. As far back as August, early projections had Joker pegged for a debut in excess of $70 million, a higher debut than fellow DC adaptation Aquaman. That was before Joker took home the Golden Lion at the 2019 Venice Film Festival and spawned numerous controversies over its depiction of gruesome violence and handling of its themes. All that buzz did was make people more interested to see the film when it finally opened to the general public this past Friday.

Over the past couple of weeks, all signs have pointed to
      Joker breaking the October opening weekend record, surpassing the mark set by Venom only a year ago. The film wasted no time leaving a mark at the box office, storming out of the gates during its lucrative Thursday night preview screenings. And now, Joker has already staked claim to one of the multiple records it's looking to break during its run.

According to
      The Wrap, Joker earned $39.9 million domestically on Friday (including $13.3 million from the aforementioned preview showings), setting a new October opening day record. The film is now poised for an opening weekend total of as much as $93 million, which would be a new all-time best for director Todd Phillips.

Joker getting off to this kind of start isn't all that surprising. Putting aside the familiarity of the character and the Clown Prince of Crime's standing in pop culture, the conversation surrounding the film sparked curiosity.
      The backlash and outrage surrounding Joker was arguably beneficial, as many people wanted to see what all the fuss was about and if it was indeed deserving of all the criticism. Additionally, Joker looks to be one of the year's biggest awards contenders, with Joaquin Phoenix a Best Actor frontrunner due to his chilling and transformative performance as Arthur Fleck. Cinephiles were no doubt intrigued, especially since Joker promised to be a very different kind of comic book film. It's more Martin Scorsese than Avengers in its approach and execution.

This is great news for Warner Bros., as the studio was having a rather up-and-down year at the box office. IT Chapter Two was a hit back in September, but some of WB's other high-profile offerings like
      The LEGO Movie 2and Godzilla: King of the Monsters didn't make much of an impact. Jokerarrived at the perfect time and gave WB the commercial draw they needed. What's more is that since Joker was relatively cheap to make (especially when compared to other comic book adaptations), it'll turn a profit in no time at all.

Source:
      The Wrap

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      81.72%
      Joker Officially Becomes The Highest Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever

Warner Bros.' Joker becomes the highest-grossing R-rated movie ever released, surpassing Deadpool. The iconic clown has been doing big business internationally. Joker is on track to be as profitable as Avengers: Infinity War.
      Joker is one of the most talked about films of 2019, and one of the most unique installments in the comic book movie genre. Its ties to the Batman name guaranteed success, but not many thought it would be this financially successful. Joker is the fourth highest-grossing DC film internationally, surpassing Justice League, Man of Steel, and Suicide Squad. Its box office success has not slowed considerably since its release on Oct. 4. Though, the movie's final box office gross could be hindered a bit if China decides not to release Joker. Still, even if that happens, Joker would have made an impressive amount of money for a film with a lower budget than the average comic book film. It has also set the record for R-rated films.

Joker has been setting box office records on fire, and that continues today.Joker has become the best grossing R-rated film (via Forbes), beating outDeadpool and its sequel. Deadpool's final gross was about $783 million.Deadpool 2's gross was technically $785 million. However, Deadpool 2 is a rather odd case, because this combines the film's box office performance with its PG-13 cut, Once Upon a Deadpool. Either way, Joker has achieved $785.5 million as of today, surpassing both movies.

Much of Joker's success is owed to Joaquin Phoenix's acclaimed performance as the title character. Although the film has seen something of a split between critics and the general audience, a common point of agreement is Phoenix's portrayal of the tragic Arthur Fleck, a mentally ill man pushed to the side by society. Joker is likely to keep doing well overseas, so one should expect to hear more box office news as the weeks go on.

With Joker doing exceptionally well, some may think a $1 billion final gross is likely. Although possible, fans shouldn't get their hopes up, especially if China does not release the film. Still, even if the movie achieves $900 million, that's a massive accomplishment. It would have surpassed
      Wonder Woman andBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, something many thought impossible a few months ago. The success of Joker will be discussed for years to come. It remains to be seen if Joker will be nominated for any Academy Awards.

Source:
      Forbes

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      81.72%
      and its started first win for joker as joaquin phoenix bags it at the golden globes and the score sound award also went to the joker at the globes

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Stressed

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:69141102
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      22.01%
      Who else thinks this movie is a bit overrated? Just a tinee bit

Sent from Mobile
      Likes mac007 liked this post

No Compromises!

I am:
      Fine

Gamertag: Usama117 PSN ID: Usama117 Steam ID: Usama117
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.94%
      Quote Originally Posted by iampasha View Post
      Who else thinks this movie is a bit overrated? Just a tinee bit

Sent from Mobile
      I do! I was asleep half way through. The real stuff starts in the last 40mins. There are several continuity issues too. IMO this movie is highly over rated. I like the new joker though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
      Likes iampasha liked this post

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Fine

Steam ID: STEAM_xXmac007Xx
      Daily Activity
      14.29%
      Lv. Percent
      43.66%
      Quote Originally Posted by Journeys End View Post
      I do! I was asleep half way through. The real stuff starts in the last 40mins. There are several continuity issues too. IMO this movie is highly over rated. I like the new joker though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
      Agreed, i tried to watch it twice and fell asleep, and yet to watch till end
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”

PG Rookie

I am:
      Cheeky

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      44.13%
      The most overrated shit of the century.