Fine

Gamertag: CerebralTiger PSN ID: CerebralTiger Steam ID: CerebralTiger
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      742.86%
      Lv. Percent
      36.29%

Danganronpa, anyone?

Got the game at launch, but have been playing at a pretty slow pace. I'm just a little over half-way through, according to the game (beginning of chapter 5).

I'll be posting my opinion on each class trial and overall progress here. Anyone else currently playing or done with it, feel free to share your thoughts.

@Gizmo I believe you were/are playing the PSP version. Thoughts? Have you finished it?
      @Omyakha @GoldenHawk I know for a fact that you've finished it. Best moments from the game? Favorite class trial?
      Last edited by CerebralTiger; 24-03-14 at 06:16 AM.

PG Juggernaut
      Team PG Emeritus

I am:
      Starving

Gamertag: Gizmo the Gamer
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      0.92%
      Oh yeah I finished the first one last week. Also the first game has only about 6 chapters so you're kind of almost there.

My favourite thing about the game was Monokuma, tht effin bear is too devious to not be likeable. The story was good. I dunno how I feel about the ending though. there was a good bit of cliche there but it was alright I guess. The last class trial was probably the best in terms of story progression as well.

I played the PSP version which was fan translated so there was some weird stuff in there like "Finger the True culprit" and stuff like that

Slut

I am:
      Happy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      76.25%
      I played the game last year. Enjoyed the story, the gameplay not so much. I didn't like Monokuma at first, but changed my mind.

Least favorite trial was the first one.

Spoiler: show
      The answer was right there, and all through the trial I was thinking why they hadn't realized it. Then I remembered they were Japanese.

Best trial was definitely the last.

The soundtrack is really great.

You guys should watch DanganRonpa Abridged Thing on YouTube, that stuff is hilarious. And watch the DR anime, it's rushed as hell, but still pretty funny. They blew the whole budget on fan-service, though.

Revolution!
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Yeehaw

Gamertag: synsyteraly PSN ID: ViciousAly Steam ID: majoraly
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      84.02%
      Nanga Ronpa

I'm already a demon

I am:
      Starving

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      14.9%
      Played it last year on the PSP.

GoldenHawk said that it was similar to 999 so I tried it out. It wasn't as good as 999, but still it was a fun ride, really needto get a Vita for VLR and Super Danganronpa 2.

It had a very nice OST too, the 4th trial was my favorite if only for that ONE character.

Shingeki No Boobies
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Starving

Gamertag: UrbanReZ PSN ID: ReZoNoLiCiOuS
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      9.93%
      My thoughts? Best Visual Novel on the Vita.

Revolution!
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Yeehaw

Gamertag: synsyteraly PSN ID: ViciousAly Steam ID: majoraly
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      84.02%
      I heard that there's a character in this game who is a splitting image of someone here on PG... Like literally a splitting image.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
      Likes Omyakha liked this post

Shingeki No Boobies
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Starving

Gamertag: UrbanReZ PSN ID: ReZoNoLiCiOuS
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      9.93%
      Quote Originally Posted by Major Aly View Post
      I heard that there's a character in this game who is a splitting image of someone here on PG... Like literally a splitting image.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
      Time to play a game.

I'll be back. Samurai!

I am:
      Confused

Steam ID: spectre_jekel
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      1.67%
      I finished the game last night. Here's a short review, may contain spoilers.

Okay, so I gave this a shot after someone recommended it to me. It may be noted that lately I've been put off Anime and Japanese esque craziness, this could have had a hand on what I thought about DR.

Music:

I normally hate these kinds of mix matched OST's with effects blaring left and right, but for Dangan Ronpa this was slightly more bearable. (No pun intended)

The OST in DR was definitely unique, the scale used for it was pretty refreshing and resulted in some unique arrangements. It wasn't the best I've heard in this category but it sufficed for it's purpose. All in all tracks had their own flair and were pretty enjoyable. If I were to hate one track, it'd be that screechy synth track playing during Non-stop Debates.

Graphics:

It'd be pointless to judge the graphics of a VN for a portable console, they did a decent job. The execution cutscenes were tastefully done, coupled with OST they gave a wacky urban feel to it. Again, just like the OST the art style managed to stand out. That's always something that's welcome for this genre.

Characters:

Okay, I'm just gonna come out and say it. I didn't like any of the characters.

I mean sue me for trying to judge the characters in Japanese visual novel but seriously, they are clichéd as hell. They're diverse, sure. But every single one of them feel like they're just acting out a role, none of 'em feel anything more than stage props.

Archetypes and clichéd tropes, this is what the characters felt like to me. I hated some, tolerate others, but ultimately liked none. Except for the Bi-polar bear. (pun intended)

Gameplay:

Gameplay was good, played akin to Phoenix Wright except with a few better elements. For a VN to have any sort of gameplay other than mashing the X button is commendable in the first place.

Exploration was decent, rooms felt expansive and well laden with decorations especially with the way everything popped out when you entered a room. The different rooms felt diverse, sadly though they lacked purpose other than being crime scenes. Good eye candy, though.

I personally liked free time, getting to know the characters better was a nice change of scenery from all the murder solving. My favourite bit was giving them weird presents and watching the reactions. Vibrating Koeshi, anyone?

Class Trials were the core of Dangan Ronpa. The different gameplay sections were unique and had their own charm except when they either became ridiculously easy or when you couldn't figure out exactly what the game wanted you to do, but that happened once or twice so I'll let it slide. Liked the range of different segments, my favourite was definitely piecing together the events at the end of the case.

Story:

The story is pretty intriguing, particularly the way it progresses from one chapter to another. Each case has it moments to shine but since we're talking about murder mysteries, it's bound to have clichés. This affects the twists greatly and where some are genuinely good:
      The gender twist with Chihiro

Others are spotted from a mile away:
      The first case

And lastly, some are cheap and stupid:
      The Genocider Shou bit

The main story itself is pretty fascinating too, you truly feel the weight of the story as you find clues and tit-bits related to the main story. And it progress rather well too, all until the final case where it just dies.

I know people have been saying the last case was the best but to me it was a disappointment if solely because of the real Junko. I mean all up until this point we had Monokuma who was a pretty memorable villain, you understood how his mind ticked, his puns and eccentric dialogues grew on you, you just could not hate him. Junkie on the other hand is just a generic crazy typecast villain, she doesn't stand out at all and is completely forget-able. Monokuma had class, Junko doesn't.

For that matter, the ending itself felt cheap and generic as well. I mean it starts out pretty decent, slowly gets interesting and then ends on a cliffhanger?

Don't get me wrong, I like climaxes. When they're tastefully done. Not when they scream "sequel".

All in all, it was decent and enjoyable game but there's definitely room for some improvement.

6.8/10
      Last edited by Jester; 30-03-14 at 02:57 PM.