View RSS Feed

NaNoW

Part 4 || Anatomy of Game - Khel Khel Mein

Rate this Entry

Part 4: Khel Khel Mein : Anatomy of a Game

So this will hopefully a small blog which will focus on the list of software you should be looking into.
This is different to everything we have talked about in the first 3 parts.

If you are a programmer, scripter, coder, backend the route is straight forward.
Become the best you can be in C++, (Unreal Engine, most AAA studio custom engines ) and C# (Unity 3D/JavaScript). Knowledge of JavaScript, Python (Blender) is advantageous.

For level /map designers: Unity 3D, Unreal Engine, Game Maker. Knowing source hammer editor or other editors is always useful.

For 2D sprites, texturing and conceptual artist: Adobe Photoshop, Z brush, Gimp 2, Flash

For 3D modeling, sculpting, Animation: Blender, 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D, Maya

For sound design: Audacity

Okey Here are a list of website YOU MUST VISIT ...They are their worth in Gold..actually even more :

http://www.pixelprospector.com/

http://www.vlambeer.com/toolkit/

https://game-assets.zeef.com/andre.antonio.schmitz

https://cgcookie.com/resources/

Als
o Youtube, Udemy, CGcookie and many others have excellent video tutorials

P.S for those who came looking for the free code here is the link to one of the best (use it ASAP, it will end soon)

http://onlinecoursediscount.blogspot.de/2016/03/udemy-c-programming-for-unity-game.html or use Udemy Coupon Code : THANKS10

From development tools to marketing, distribution , design, programming..Everything you will ever need is in those websites...use them well!

IMO It is extremely useful to have at least some knowledge of programming language such as C++ or C#.
It will prove to be very useful no matter what specialization you do.
The same is for art, even if you are programmer it is invaluable to understand at least the basics understanding of artwork appreciation.
For a game to be bigger than the sum of its part, it is essential that the whole team is on the same page with respect to the direction
you want to take and for that to happen, everyone should have at least basic understanding of what the other does.

Also play a lot of games and different genre of games, but I dont have to tell you guys that :P. Having a knowledge of how different genres
and games work, gives you an insight how other people have used similar resources and gives you excellent sources to draw inspirations from.
Most of the mentioned softwares have a steep learning curve, so dont be scared and dont give in. Also practice a lot and work hard at learning
different things, dont get stuck in a cycle of going to your comfort zone, learn how to achieve the same result using different techniques.
And last thing, dont be scared to spend some money to invest in your future. If there an an asset on unity store that would help you out,
or you have to pay for some tutorials ( i.e at CGcookie, udemy, etc) do it. It is worth it, if you are willing to be a little committed to the cause.

And MOST importantly, have fun while doing it!

------------------------------************************************************** **************************************-----------------------------

Of course comments, suggestions, your take on topic, discussion, etc is very encouraged.

So if you think you have learned anything or find it interesting or know someone who might find it interesting.

I would highly appreciate you linking other people on pakgamers, twitter or FB..or even share with on your timelines with others!

@
Chukandar, @V3N0M, @Eternal Blizzard @Gizmo @CerebralTiger @OldMan @DarkLordMalik @Ottoman @abobobilly @TrueCoolGuy @Arkonov @Fir3d3mon @Cerberus @murtaza12@GloriousChicken@DarkSith @nafu @Pleasant @opethian @staticPointer @Necrokiller @mac007 @Solid Link @Yasir Nadeem @Spatan 117 @OldMan @Yasir Nadeem
3 Likes, 0 Thanks
Likes V3N0M, mac007, Yasir Nadeem liked this post

Updated 17-03-16 at 09:49 PM by NaNoW

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Gaming , Education

Comments

shared on twitter
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes NaNoW liked this post
    I say if you are an indie dev , going for a startup or want to jump quick into the game development then engines like Unity/Unreal are very useful for you . But working for a big AAA studio as a console game programmer requires more than that , they don't care how well you know Unity or any other engine . You must know engine programming & be able to right your own one in either Dx or OpenGL using C++ . The things we do in a game engines like Unity are often done at a job position called 'Scripter' where a person connects & triggers the events in a game over an underlying engine architecture . Ubisoft has this type of entry level position which is quite different from a position of a engine/graphics programmer .
    3 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes NaNoW, mac007, EternalBlizzard liked this post
    hey bro can it be done as a part time or hobby....as i m a Applied Chemist by education...and trying to learn Free Hand, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop by myself and have a little time
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mac007
    hey bro can it be done as a part time or hobby....as i m a Applied Chemist by education...and trying to learn Free Hand, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop by myself and have a little time
    ofcourse, but what exactly do you want to do? artwork?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaNoW
    ofcourse, but what exactly do you want to do? artwork?
    yes i m currently trying and practicing artworks
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I learned C# in my first year.. gonna start working on C++ after this semester :s Thanks for all the resources tho, really appreciate it.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V3N0M
    I say if you are an indie dev , going for a startup or want to jump quick into the game development then engines like Unity/Unreal are very useful for you . But working for a big AAA studio as a console game programmer requires more than that , they don't care how well you know Unity or any other engine . You must know engine programming & be able to right your own one in either Dx or OpenGL using C++ . The things we do in a game engines like Unity are often done at a job position called 'Scripter' where a person connects & triggers the events in a game over an underlying engine architecture . Ubisoft has this type of entry level position which is quite different from a position of a engine/graphics programmer .
    That's what i was talking about in nanow's previous blog Should we go for learning game engines or spend our time learning OpenGL/Directx which is much low level, hence clears the concepts of how things work in already built in game engines
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Blizzard
    That's what i was talking about in nanow's previous blog Should we go for learning game engines or spend our time learning OpenGL/Directx which is much low level, hence clears the concepts of how things work in already built in game engines
    If you are doing CS, then yes go for OpenGL/DirectX and lower level programming and then eventually progress to higher level stuff...if not, start directly from high level stuff, otherwise you will spend a lot of time in learning instead of making stuff
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes EternalBlizzard liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by NaNoW
    If you are doing CS, then yes go for OpenGL/DirectX and lower level programming and then eventually progress to higher level stuff...if not, start directly from high level stuff, otherwise you will spend a lot of time in learning instead of making stuff
    Hmm and Nanow if you can, do a blog on 2d vs 3d.... i attended a seminar held by seniors and they were all saying due to VR the future is mostly gonna be 3d while i am more interested in 2d or 2.5d games like Shanks. So i was thinking if it's really true will 2d become useless later on or is it ok practicing 2d. I was thinking of practicing 2d character designing on gimp.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks