View RSS Feed

NaNoW

Khel Khel Mein : Anatomy of a Game || Part 1

Rate this Entry

Khel Khel Mein : Anatomy of a Game Part 1

Disclaimer: Most of the things you will read below and in this series generally are just my opinion not something set in stone.
I may be completely wrong, after all gaming is as much an art as science. Here, I must make a confession; I will be weaving
in and out of different books which have been written in past on this or similar topics whenever I feel it would help us.
I will try my very best to reference the authors aswell. Whatever I write below, is for the guys who want to work in this field,
but often think about what it is about, how should we go making a game, how should I approach it and just need to learn about
game development. Also I am paying a good amount of money to learn all this, which might be steep for young guys, so why not
share this with them. Also since there are a very small number of Pakistani professional video game developers, I really hope I can
help a few more, who might be a little more inclined to game development or are the “ I did computer science because I liked
games “guys or girls who can draw awesome artwork but don’t know how to make a decent living. Do try to contact me if you
want some direction. I am pursuing Masters in Game Development and Research from an excellent university and institution
and I am working in a semi-large gaming company as assistant producer, both in Germany. I have also made around 7-8 small games.
So I am NOT a PhD or have 30 years of game development experience or -basically, what I am saying is that a lot of these things,
I have learned myself in class, book and by making small projects not too long ago, so DO YOUR OWN DAMN RESEARCH ASWELL.
Ok, lets start:

Why?

Video game development is a new phenomenon. Well, it is a relatively new phenomenon. Imagine films and cinema had its own film school (Moscow
Film School) in 1919. Interesting tit-bit : It was created because Russians really wanted to push their propaganda stuff using movies and films and understood
that media was going to have a huge impact on how they were being portrayed in war. The thing is, for a medium to truly evolve it needs
a bit of time to mature. It needs a bit of time to find its feet and identify what makes it truly unique and, as some business savvy people might
put it, find its KPIs. If you look at it in a broad sense, even though game development has been at the core of human experience, it’s just we
have never really paid any attention to it. It’s so fundamental, that even animals do it. Lion cubs play with each other, they even setup rules
and boundaries (i.e we won’t bite each other with force, play in a limited area, etc), and we all have probably seen dogs play with each other
as well (We have traumatized our dogs to an extent that bicharey wo yeh bhi nahi kar saktey). But in my discussion, I will focus on video
game development in particular. It is remarkable, that an industry, which boasts numbers as high as game development does, and with
giant companies as big EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo (and some might argue indirectly Google(Android), Facebook(Oculus)
and Apple(iOS) aswell) and yet we have no clear definition of the product they are attempting to sell or what mixture of ingredients makes
it “Tasty”. And by tasty I don’t mean how well it sold, some awesome games have sold way less than what they should’ve, we will try to
see if we can identify the “fun” part of it while acknowledging that, this elusive, fun part is different for individuals.

Think of it in a sense of making awesome biryani (Yellow orange tasty Pakistani rice). I chose biryani because we all love it
(for non-Pakistanis who don’t get the reference: only hounds from hell don’t like biryani, it is how we identify them).
Too much white rice will make it bland, too much flavor will make it spicy, should it have beef, chicken, or potatoes,
or how much orange color is right, how long should it be on dum and what about the all-important Raita!!?
Exactly, see, we are passionate about biryani man. If these are just few of nuisances of making food, imagine what it must
be like to make a fun game. And it’s not like companies haven’t tried to nail down the recipe either. Particularly it is evident
in looking at franchise series Fallout, Assassins Creed, GTA, FIFA, etc all do a very nice job, even if not the most creative
and sometimes too repetitive of a job, of putting similar products time after time again.

Also what is important is to identify that we are not doing this to trivialize games or want the answer because some hidden truth
which will unlock the secret to life itself is here…no we are doing this, in my opinion for
1) Having a better understanding of games to make better games ourselves. To consume this media while being aware of the intricacies of it.

2) Games have an impact on our lives and so we want to know more about it and not be just sheep, we want to be knowledgeable sheep.
To simply understand and be literate about this aspect of human nature which is just so inherently built into us.

If you pay close attention to the points above you will notice that they are linked to eachother, I just decided to write about them
differently so that they are easier to understand and remember.

“Gaming literacy reverses conventional ideas about what games are and how they function. A classical way of understanding games
is the “magic circle,” a concept that originates with the Dutch historian and philosopher Johann Huizinga.1 The magic circle represents
the idea that games take place within limits of time and space, and are self-contained systems of meaning. A chess king, for example,
is just a little figurine sitting on a coffee table. But when a game of chess starts, it suddenly acquires all kinds of very specific strategic,
psychological, and even narrative meanings. To consider another example, when a soccer game or Street Fighter II (Capcom, 1992) match
begins, your friend suddenly becomes your opponent and bitter rival—at least for the duration of the game. While many social and cultural
meanings certainly do move in and out of any game (for instance, your in-game rivalry might ultimately affect your friendship outside the game),
the magic circle emphasizes those meanings that are intrinsic and interior to games”

(I will talk more about magic circle and other aspects of game definitions in next post.
I will quote you (above) something from Eric Zimmerman’s paper “Gaming Literacy” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Zimmerman
(he is perhaps the MOST influential guy to have written on game media studies, although he wrote stuff a few years back,
but a significant part of gaming studies is based on his works).

Read Part 2 : http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/blog...khel-mein-605/
to be continued..…….Train stop is nearly here, need to get off before driver decides he doesn’t want to stop here today cause he has a funny feeling in his stomach.

Part 1 : Let me know if you guys like it, since I write in a very loose form and not too like a book or something
...and your opinion on it....Also what should we call this series, and would you like this more in form of video or something. Another thing, I am writing this on the go, so grammar and spelling mistakes will be everywhere, so please let me know if you see a glaring mistake

@Chukandar, @V3N0M, @Eternal Blizzard @Gizmo @CerebralTiger @OldMan @DarkLordMalik @Ottoman @abobobilly @TrueCoolGuy @Arkonov @Fir3d3mon @Cerberus @murtaza12 @GloriousChicken @DarkSith @nafu @Pleasant @opethian @others :
I would highly appreciate you linking other people on pakgamers, twitter or FB..or even share with on your timelines with other pakistani guys!!

Rab Rakha :P

p.s : the views shared are mine, not of PG or Team PG
14 Likes, 0 Thanks
Likes Yasir Nadeem, mac007, V3N0M, Pleasant, mubaidr and 9 others liked this post

Updated 01-03-16 at 09:02 PM by NaNoW

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Gaming , Education

Comments

oh forgot @staticPointer...lol I always forget you
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Good one , do break it up in sections . The title is also relatable to content , I knew before opening what the blog is about .

Anyway whenever my friends/cousins ask me how's the work going , I usually reply ' Life is game , game is life' because it pretty much sums up my story . You can use it as a series name or for tagline
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V3N0M
    Good one , do break it up in sections . The title is also relatable to content , I knew before opening what the blog is about .

Anyway whenever my friends/cousins ask me how's the work going , I usually reply ' Life is game , game is life' because it pretty much sums up my story . You can use it as a series name or for tagline
    Exactly..life is truly a open world massive multiplayer role playing game.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I like this format, keep it like this. It was a good read, could you PM me a list of all the writers?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkonov
    I like this format, keep it like this. It was a good read, could you PM me a list of all the writers?
    which writers? if you mean influencial books ..there are over 10 books, all on very different topics and also their work is usually presented in book formats than article format
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Yeah, I meant the book authors. Give names or just book names.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    will giff my expert () opinion after the next post..interesting stuff though
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    nice thoughts. Gamer's life is quite strange

BTW you forget a sole gamer @Spartan 117
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Spartan 117 liked this post
    Lel, once again no mention notification. Anyways i'll be sure to keep an eye out for these blogs or articles whatever you write. @Solid Link

And for the title you could use "Video Game Anatomy" or "Video Games dissected" or anything you want. i'm cool.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 01-03-16 at 01:04 AM by EternalBlizzard
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Blizzard
    Lel, once again no mention notification. Anyways i'll be sure to keep an eye out for these blogs or articles whatever you write. @Solid Link

And for the tile you could use "Video Game Anatomy" or "Video Games dissected" or anything you want. i'm cool.
    Anatomy se yaad aya, intially I was thinking of "Games ki Khol kar rakh do "..but I guess that could be easily interpreted in the wrong way :P
    5 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NaNoW
    Anatomy se yaad aya, intially I was thinking of "Games ki Khol kar rakh do "..but I guess that could be easily interpreted in the wrong way :P
    Buahahahahahahahahhaha Best he xD just put another title like video games dissected in the brackets for english readers if there are any
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Behtareen hogya ustad.. Working on a game myself so definitely agree with you on the many "fascinating" views that you have shared.. Please do continue this series..
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes EternalBlizzard liked this post
    That was a fun read, and mind you it's 6:15 am and I didn't get much sleep. But I still enjoyed everything you put out there in the article. The writing is easy to understand so I'm sure the series'll be teaching me and many others a lot of things about game dev. Looking forward to the next part!

Also, I wholeheartedly agree that we should name the series "Games ki khol kar rakh do"
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes nafu liked this post
    i m not a game developer but will be interesting to read...keep it coming
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    This is good stuff. I liked reading it and am definitely looking forward for more of it.

Keep the format, has a more personal feel to it.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks