View RSS Feed

Memoirs of a Cricket fanatic

Ta'leem-o-Tarbiat - A stroll through Nostalgia

Rate this Entry
Yes, I'm talking about that children's magazine which was (and still is) published monthly. "Ta'leem-o-Tarbiat "(ToT) was an important part of life during my childhood years. Ferozsons Ltd. claims it is children's first regular magazine ever published in Pakistan. And that claim might be true after all because this was the favourite reading pastime of every adult I know.

Eagerly anticipating the postman to deliver it at the start of every month and finishing it in one sitting had become a habit. And I savoured every minute of it. Not only were most stories enjoyable,highly informative and message-oriented, as a kid my Urdu vocabulary also improved rapidly.

There was lots propaganda in many stories of course but I loved them all the same. The cover below is typical Ta'leem-o-Tarbiat. Can any ToT veteran tell me what the cover story is about? The picture ought to be a dead giveaway.

Taleem-o-Tarbiat was also the source of my first foray into Science fiction. There were series in episodic form but also many that were standalone. Series like 'Chacha Bhulakar', 'Robinson Crusoe', 'Garhay main laash' reflect the variety of content found within its pages.

Everything from Comedy, Travel, Hunting, Mystery, History, Aliens and Mind control, this magazine had them all. And it was quality material, unlike the greasy lame stories found inside 'double roti' packs (or in Phool Magazine :P)

(Inspired by H.G. Wells ""The Invisible Man" I'm sure)

One of my cousins twice won first prize in the 'Ap bhi likhye' section. Feather in the cap moments for the family because everyone grew up reading this magazine. ToT used to give away books every month as prize to the top three best story-writers.

'Phool' was ToT's biggest competitor back in the day. But I found their stories to be mediocre in comparison. It also lacked in the presentation department as its magazine covers were, dull, colourless and unimaginative.

ToT stories had very strong jingoistic themes. I had mentioned propaganda earlier

(Whupping some Indian ass never felt so good. Except in Cricket maybe)

I was a regular reader till the age of 16 I think. That's when the core ToT team changed and its quality dropped alarmingly. The magazine was full of grammatical errors and mediocre pointless stories. Cancelled the subscription and never looked back since. I haven't read an issue in ages.

I actually learned a lot of Cricketing techniques through this magazine. The Sports section was highly informative and provided tips on playing drives and how to grip the ball to make it spin, swing and cut etc. In the age of no internet these tips were a blessing.

My memory deceives me because I can only remember Zakia Bilgrami, Qayyum Nazar, Hassan Zaki Kazmi, Saeed Lakht and Ishtiaq Ahmed from a long list of quality and regular contributors. I had around 80 odd issues from the early nineties in my possession. Can't believe they were given away as scrap because their antique value would've been pretty high these days.

A fact I would lament for a long time.
24 Likes, 0 Thanks
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That sounds really cool. I wish I had tried to explore some Urdu lit back in the day. Would've done my horrible Urdu massive good.

Nice, nostalgic entry, Otto!
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Ottoman liked this post
    This brings back a lot of memories. Only read Taleem o Tarbiat for a few months because I think it was rather expensive compared to other Urdu magazines (Naunehaal, Bachon ki Dunya, Aankh Macholi to name a few) due to the colored pictures and better print quality. However, I will always associate quality with the Ferozsons brand. They had a great selection of abridged Urdu stories for children and I had a huge collection of them. I still have the complete set of Ameer Hamza series books by Ferozsons. Among the authors mentioned I think Ishtiaq Ahmad has to be one of the most prolific writers from 90's. He used to come up with two new novels every month!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    my days of 90's
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Yasir Nadeem liked this post
    Us sheher- e - Kolkottay ka zikar chair kay ----- ik teer meray senay pe mara kay haaye haaye
    Kia yaad dila dia hay jinab. taleemOtarbiyyar aur us ki kahania, kistwaar silsilay aur buhut kuch. jo taleem o tarbiyat ka follower hay usay kuch aur yaad ho ya na ho "Raajo ki Sarguzasht" zaror yaad hogi.
    aur buhut kuch buhut kuch buhut kuch jis sab ka zikar aap ne chair diya.
    3 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Yasir Nadeem, Ottoman, XAINEEE liked this post
    I am Not Good At Urdu too.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Couldn't proof-read the blog post so apologies for any mistakes or factual errors.

Quote Originally Posted by abcd
    This brings back a lot of memories. Only read Taleem o Tarbiat for a few months because I think it was rather expensive compared to other Urdu magazines (Naunehaal, Bachon ki Dunya, Aankh Macholi to name a few) due to the colored pictures and better print quality. However, I will always associate quality with the Ferozsons brand. They had a great selection of abridged Urdu stories for children and I had a huge collection of them. I still have the complete set of Ameer Hamza series books by Ferozsons. Among the authors mentioned I think Ishtiaq Ahmad has to be one of the most prolific writers from 90's. He used to come up with two new novels every month!
    Yeah I'm starting to remember Naunehaal and Bachon Ki Duniya. Stories were a bit too kiddie for my liking but they were fine magazines for children nonetheless.

Ferozsons have always been about quality. ToT with its glossy cover and vibrant colours was an instant hit. Their illustrations are also extremely well done.

Ishtiaq Ahmad churns out novels faster than parrots reproduce! One of the most prolific writers around and the sheer thickness of his novels is mind-boggling. Shoki bros. and Inspector Jamshed mystery novels were class and I always valued them.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 23-10-14 at 08:54 AM by Ottoman
    Man..... I remember these for sure.

I also used to buy Naunehal, Phool (it sucked... a lot) and Bachon ki Duniya. Among them, Bachon ki Duniya and Taleem-o-Tarbiat were my definitive favorite for sure. Although I do have a hard time remembering when I actually stopped them reading them.

I also fondly remember the themed stories in each of the magazines. They also used to run scary editions of their magazines full of scary stories. They definitely creeped me out as a child.

Speaking of Ferozson, I still remember the name of one of their novels titled "Ali pa kia bhethi". It was a great read and I sure miss reading such stories now
    2 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Ottoman, Yasir Nadeem liked this post
    ToT used to bring out a 'Saalnama' issue every year in May, iirc. It was extra thick with more stories
    2 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes XAINEEE, Ms1505 liked this post
    I remember all these cover there were alos NONEHAAL , BACHON KI DUNYA , BACHON KA BAAGH and TOOTBATOOT.
    Will it be off topic if i mention Inspector jamshed series and imran series etc :P
    kya kya yad dila dya dost tum ne , kiraye per laa ker perha kerta ta, aksar qameez k nechy chupa ker lata ta, us wqt k ganay tk kanon me gonjna shuru hogye soch kr hi
    2 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Ottoman, NaNoW liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasir Nadeem
    I am Not Good At Urdu too.
    nahi khel ay dagh yaaron se keh do
    kay aati hay urdu zuban aatay aatay
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Yasir Nadeem liked this post
    back in day i was crazy for ToT. I still remember in 5th class stationary store near my house hand only one copy left. When I managed to save 15 Rs., I went there 6:30 in the morning and sat there till store opened so no one else could get his hands on it .... :-P
    5 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raXza
    back in day i was crazy for ToT. I still remember in 5th class stationary store near my house hand only one copy left. When I managed to save 15 Rs., I went there 6:30 in the morning and sat there till store opened so no one else could get his hands on it .... :-P
    That's some commitment all right! Thanks for the share.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I can totally relate.
    Those were some fun moments!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman
    ToT used to bring out a 'Saalnama' issue every year in May, iirc. It was extra thick with more stories
    same goes with "Hamdard Naunehal" or "Bachon ka Bagh" they used to issue "Saalnama" every year near June/July vacations
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I never read a lot of these. I simply went for the jokes and the investigation thing. My Urdu has always sucked. My older brother, on the other hand (again, Faisal as you might know), was a die-hard reader and his Urdu vocabulary was and is still amazing. We still have a large collection of every issue from I think 199 to 2009, I suppose? Not sure, but we have a lot.

Their drawings always rocked.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman
    That's some commitment all right! Thanks for the share.
    well it was either ToT or I had to buy Phool. In my heart ToT was always the one....
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    otto what a post
    This is nostalgic turned to level 11.

I remember Naunehaal, ToT, Imran series, Kamran Series, Young world magazine, phool, Archie comics and other various other super hero comics so vividly . I remember growing up with cousins who were all older than me, getting the copy early and me waiting for them to finish, or sneaking the copy before them and lieing about not seeing them being delivered ...
    Ah what amazing times....Also I remember going to book stalls near nipa and saddar for novels and books..yes I was a book worm...
    and getting in fights with our local newspaper stand, when he didn't deliver it on the day it was supposed to be out
    2 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Ottoman, XAINEEE liked this post
    Updated 25-10-14 at 10:12 PM by NaNoW
    wow this sounds all so nostalgic ! :') Shows that our country really has talent . I never had a chance to read Eng Lit however I once did read these funny stories in an urdu novel . I don't really remember the name,it was something like Qasim aur .... And yea the drawings on the covers are quite brilliant on those ToT magazines .

Great blog @Ottoman
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I remember the "Dimagh larao" and Hamdard Ads. What a awesome childhood we had. Alhumdulillah, Shukar Alhumdulillah
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes XAINEEE liked this post
    Missing those days
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast