View RSS Feed

Memoirs of a Cricket fanatic

Chaand si bahu

Rate this Entry
An oft heard comment in tv dramas and also, although less often used, in real life. A fool might argue that it refers to craters on the Moon but I highly doubt that.

This age-old obsession with white skin is largely a Sub-continent thing. It's a trend in the UK and the US amongst expats that they prefer to marry a Caucasian Muslim-revert woman as opposed to one from his own community. In this part of the world, there's a race to trap a Chand si larki, be it for marriage or time-pass in co-ed institutes.

Using a rough estimate, I've witnessed 95% of the girls involved in university relationships to be fair-skinned.

One might blame the plethora of ads on tv selling fairness creams or the fact that the film industry (of relevance to this region) is dominated by fair-skinned artists. But I think it goes far beyond that, even before the advent of such media.

I think this fair-skinned obsession is a legacy of colonial rule. And preference for white skin reflects a deep-seated inferiority complex and, thus, an identity crisis in us. I've known instances where parents fret over the complexion of their child, to the extent they would be more accommodating towards a fair-skinned child compared to his other sibling

Racism is ingrained in our community, by and large. And I've observed it to be by design, rather than accidental.

I had been reading an interesting argument some place that tanning in the West is a form of advertising that one belongs to the privileged class. Similarly, fair complexion in this part of the world is considered a status symbol especially amongst the educated elite.

I was watching the recently concluded Asia Cup held in Bangladesh and the broadcaster used to focus cameras on female spectators every now and then. Felt sorry to see their apparent complexion bordering pink. All thanks to layers of foundation, beauty cream and powder.

I know acquaintances who ventured abroad just to have direct access to 'safaid chamri'. And it's pathetic, that mindset.

Although indirectly related to the topic at hand, but I'm ending this blog on a portion from the Holy Prophet's (S.A.W) last sermon:
"There is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab and for a non-Arab over an Arab, nor for the white over the black nor for the black over the white except in God-conciousness."

Food for thought. Let us know how you perceive fair complexion.
11 Likes, 0 Thanks

Updated 12-03-14 at 09:54 PM by Ottoman

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interestingly alot of white folks prefer our yellowish tanned skin color. They would use sun bathing , spray on tans, u.v beds and god know what to get tanned. The hate the 'paleness' of skin, and it is associated with disease.
    I guess a few people are not comfortable in their own skin no matter what race they are .
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes syedfarazahmed liked this post
    "I think this fair-skinned obsession is a legacy of colonial rule. And preference for white skin reflects a deep-seated inferiority complex and, thus, an identity crisis in us."

i agree, although i don't think this is entirely the case. we're not necessarily carrying the colonial legacy anymore; we're reeling from the after effects. fair skin was associated with wealth, beauty and superiority in the colonial era, and 70 years later we have very distinct correlations between certain classes and a certain skin-tone. you wouldn't see a fair-skinned kaam wali maasi very often and you're not likely to see a dark-skinned wealthy woman. even though i'm sure both exist, but speaking in terms of probability.

i also think it's interesting that a lot of people have an instinctive gross-out reaction towards black people, which is weird because we're not that far off.

also this phenomenon isn't contained only to pakistan, india and china suffer from exactly the same thing. 1 out of 5 south korean women have had plastic surgery to appear more caucasian. girls in japan, philippines, indonesia, etc avoid the sun like a plague, etc. skin bleaching is very popular in certain african countries. so while terrible, i guess we're all in it together.
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Ottoman liked this post
    Thnx Allah i dont have this disease of comparing or commenting on skin color it is disgusting.Parh likh kar ganwanay wale baat hai.

Screw these peoples who do this shit my younger brother skin is not like me so what he did not made himself out of all i like and love him the most.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I have to agree with you on the part that racism is ingrained in our community.Everynow and then when a new Pakistani joins the school I study in ,first thing they do is call the Africans you-know-what . It's very disturbing to say that .In the past I overheard Pakistani girls calling other Pakistani girls ,"Kali" etc o.O However currently,there isn't such issue in my school about one being fair-skinned and other not so much .
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    There's also the simple possibility that we are perhaps naturally wired to associate healthiness to fair-skin and are naturally more attracted to it. Though, you are spot-on about the symbol of status that fair-skin has become and all the surrounding racism.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 12-03-14 at 08:11 PM by Benighted
    I agree with ben, people are perhaps programmed naturally to be more attracted to fair skinned people at the first glance. But really it doesn't matter.

I think because of this preference of fair skin in our society many people tend to stop caring about their appearance or rather care less than a person with fair skin would.

But none the less there shouldn't any difference and as the title suggests "chaan si bahu" i know people who have rejected rishta proposals (not mine, too young ) for the sole reason of "rang daba hua he" and this goes both ways for guys and girls.

absolutely ridiculous and disgusting.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarzubair
    But none the less there shouldn't any difference and as the title suggests "chaan si bahu" i know people who have rejected rishta proposals (not mine, too young ) for the sole reason of "rang daba hua he" and this goes both ways for guys and girls.

absolutely ridiculous and disgusting.
    Proposals getting rejected because the guy is dark-skinned would be few and far between I think. But it's a genuine problem as far as girls proposals are concerned.

I've known so many cases of girls, having reached the age of marriage, suffering from extreme cases of depression just because they lack a fair complexion. To add salt to injury,media isn't helping the cause either.

I understand there's a natural preference, outside of one's control, and everyone see's beauty in a different way but what irks me most is the rigidity some people exercise in such scenarios.
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Benighted liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman
    Proposals getting rejected because the guy is dark-skinned would be few and far between I think. But it's a genuine problem as far as girls proposals are concerned.

I've known so many cases of girls, having reached the age of marriage, suffering from extreme cases of depression just because they lack a fair complexion. To add salt to injury,media isn't helping the cause either.

I understand there's a natural preference, outside of one's control, and everyone see's beauty in a different way but what irks me most is the rigidity some people exercise in such scenarios.
    exactly.. and as i have said... i personally know larki walay rejecting the larka walay over complexion. but you may have noticed that the more educated population is now more open minded and hence don't tend to make such shameless decisions....

media has played it's part but the most crucial part has been played by all these fairness creams. each and everyone of them showing that with fairness comes extreme confidence and success..
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Education ruins your mind :P
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Nothing more to say coz i second you bro
    But , i , personally love a batch mate form my uni , and she has dark complexion :P
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Benighted liked this post
    What difference is there in the color of the soul?
    Solomon northup - 12 years a slave.
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes Kill Me Now liked this post
    Well It is true.. Now that i look at all the new brides that have entered our family. Each and everyone of them has had a fair complexion. And it has become a part of our traditions that even if a bride is not fair enough, they use enough makeup to make her complexion fair. But even then i do not believe that this counts in racism. Its just a lame tradition. Its not like we treat a boy or a girl who is dark as an outcast and make them our slaves. I think we are about just fine until such a time comes when this sort of stuff actually starts happening and people with lighter complexion stop hanging around with people with darker complexion. I do believe that this tradition is not favorable but neither is it that bad. Its just what men prefer.
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    But what about Bipasha basu and Rihana.both are "Kali" too.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    how can i write a post... i'm new here guys
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Pakistan Gift Deals Shopping Website ! Giftdeals.pk | Online Shopping
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks