View RSS Feed

wordsmithess

When Lulzsec Hacked My Email

Rate this Entry

That morning, as usual, I checked my mail. This particular email caught my eye because of the content in the excerpt. My first thoughts? OMG!

I was too scared to click and open it for two whole minutes. (Yes, I counted them.) I did click eventually. Of course, if I hadn’t I would not be writing this post. Or maybe I would. Anyway, the following are the contents of the email.

Dear,

We have been following You very closely and at this point in time know more about You than You are comfortable in acknowledging. However, the purpose of this email is not to threaten or deface Your identity, we would only like to extend a friendly gesture. Since this is our first and only known correspondence, we would hope that You appreciate the risk we are taking.

We are very interested in Your work and have been closely following Your activities for the past month and a half. Suffice it to say that due to the bad publicity that we have been receiving over the past few months we would like to reboot our site design and slowly reorient our activities and reintegrate ourselves into the white-hat community. To this end we would like to contract Your services as a consultant to assist with the new site design and content. You need not worry about Your identity, it is safe with us and You will have our full protection.

We can assure You that You will be compensated handsomely. However, due to the nature of our previous exploits cannot afford risking sending monetary compensation. You will, however, have our complete security, coding and hacking expertise at Your disposal. We only request that You use it judiciously and with care.

We have attached a word file with full details of the contract and the nature of the work and would request that You read and understand the risks associated with such a job carefully before replying. You will have two days to respond fully to our email. Please write an email and save it as a draft to respond as we will carefully be monitoring your email activity. We will delete the draft as soon as we have read Your response and will correspond in like manner.

We request that You try not to change Your email address or Your passwords. We are Lulzsec and we do it for the Lulz, You can’t hide or run – the CIA couldn’t. We will however respect your privacy and your decision, those are Yours and we value them.

–The Lulzsec Team

And Remember,
(My Email Signature was inserted here with the Lulzsec website address)

I checked to see what email they had used and this is what I saw

Well, obviously, when you hack into someone’s email, you email them from THEIR email address, not yours.

Holy Moly! Lulzsec emailed me? Wow! Yes, sadly, that’s what I thought. The thought that my privacy had been compromised did not even cross my mind. I was so excited (exhilarated actually) that Lulzsec had sent ME an email that i did not even think for a second how dangerous it could be. My email was hacked by LulzSec! I didn’t even bother to change my password. Well, they told me not to, how could I let them down? Sigh. I even saved a response in the drafts and waited eagerly for it to be deleted, as “they” had promised.

As I watched my email, my phone rang. That was frustrating because I didn’t want anything to come between me and my email watching. The caller id told me it was my friend. I answered it to hear hoots of laughter at the other end. Perplexed, I asked,

“What happened?”

“You actually fell for it!” More laughter.

Enlightenment.

“Damn it! YOU emailed me as Lulzsec?”

More devilish laughter.

I vaguely remembered days of no internet connection when I had given my Gmail password to my friend to reply to an important email. Never changed it after that. Yes, I know, that was dumb.

By this point, I was not amused. I was heart broken. All my dreams of working with Lulzsec were shattered in the span of a few minutes. Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?

A positive side to this incident, I instantly set up the two-step Gmail verification, changed my Gmail settings to always use https instead of http and a lot many other things.

Do you think your Email is secure? How would you have reacted to such an email?

P.S. If you have no idea who LulzSec is (are you serious??) check out the following links:
CIA Website Hacked
LulzSec and Anonymous Declare War
9 Likes, 0 Thanks
Categories
Technology

Comments

I know about anonymous group and I am following them on twitter for a very long time. The stuff they do, awesome
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Likes wordsmithess liked this post
    Lulz indeed.

This lulzsec prank email idea isn't copyrighted, is it?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anurin
    Lulz indeed.

This lulzsec prank email idea isn't copyrighted, is it?
    Nope. Feel free to prank your friends and do let me know how it went.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    and i was about to say, yeaaayyyyyy ur gonna be lulzsec now
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton
    and i was about to say, yeaaayyyyyy ur gonna be lulzsec now
    *Sigh* That's how I felt too.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsmithess
    *Sigh* That's how I felt too.
    I thought de same -____-
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    And what's lulzsec again? :/
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    LOL yeah well what are friends for?
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by assasin42o
    And what's lulzsec again? :/
    There are links in the post to help.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wfsoomro
    LOL yeah well what are friends for?
    As I said, who needs enemies when you have friends like that.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    ahaha that was a nice storry
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    A great story I've heard in a while!
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    pwnonymousd!
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Why would a group saying "we do it for the Lulz," say "due to the bad publicity that we have been receiving over the past few months we would like to reboot our site design and slowly reorient our activities and reintegrate ourselves into the white-hat community."
    This is a group that does not care about PR, that should have tipped you off.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SohaibArif
    Why would a group saying "we do it for the Lulz," say "due to the bad publicity that we have been receiving over the past few months we would like to reboot our site design and slowly reorient our activities and reintegrate ourselves into the white-hat community."
    This is a group that does not care about PR, that should have tipped you off.
    You have a point but I suppose I was just too excited to notice anything apart from the fact that they wanted me to work with them.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    So you're a hacker?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Bhallu TC
    So you're a hacker?
    I wish I was!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    And I was feeling happy for you too!

LOLOLOLOLOL! Your friend is EPIC! XD I am SOOO going to do this!
    1 Likes, 0 Thanks