View RSS Feed

iNF3RN0's Diary

I lost my US$ 114.38 mysteriously

Rate this Entry
Yep, that's right folks! now I really like to bow down in front my professor who is doing PhD in "E-Trust Systems" and always used to talk with us like "how do you trust on sites like amazon, paypal etc" despite of the fact that these names are the symbols of reliablity among million of people world wide, infact I trust them as well from different prespective.

Anyway my story is related with a one of the largest domains registrar in the world known as godaddy.com. I transfered my two domains (other than PG) from a local pakistani registrar (Nexus) to godaddy, inc back in december 2009 and paid for two years renewal in advance as well. Everything gone pretty well.

One day (on March 07, 2009) when I logged-in on to my bank website (Lloyds, TSB) for checking my account details etc I saw a US$ 114.38 transaction made from my Paypal account to godaddy, inc which given me a bit of shock as I didn't made this transaction. I checked my domains status I notice that they have been renewed for 5 more years i-e till 2019 the most strange part was that I didn't got any email notification from paypal (which they sent after every transaction) nor any receipt from the godaddy which they also send after every order as a confirmation.

So when I contacted godaddy customer support over the phone and explained them my case they told me that the order has been made by me and I should check the spam folder for the email notification etc (which was a total bullshit excuse as I have made tons of paypal transactions till date and never faced anything like that). So after this I opened a dispute with paypal for the "unauthorised payment/acccess" claim which then turned down after the investigation by telling me that they didn't found any "unauthorised access" evidence for my account. (this also proves that ghosts can also use Internet, Paypal and can pay to someone whenever they need to )

Anyway after lots of communication with the godaddy they told me that the payment has been reversed by their "automatic system" (which is another bullshit) so I will get my money back after 5-7 days, but I need to repay them as the renewal has been made and it can't be reversed after 7 days when I again contacted godaddy I got the same reply that the payment is at paypal end.

After doing lots of communication (I must admit godaddy support stuff is fast in response but useless in solving issues) I don't receive any refund back other then the same response that the payment has been reversed by paypal so paypal have your payment, inorder to resume your service you must pay US$ 114.38 again etc bullcrap.

Yesterday after nearly a month (as according to paypal TOS customer need to wait for at least 30 days if he has paied to the seller from a CC to get the refund back into the bank account) when I got really pissed off I filed the complaint against paypal for their lack of support in solving my case and told them my whole story of godaddy.

Fortunately I got a good response from paypal and they told me that they have again checked my account and the payment is still at godaddy end, they did hold my payment for few hrs when I have filed the dispute but after that they have released the payment to godaddy long ago infact on the same day. Furthermore paypal told me to forward this email to godaddy which also have the following words:

If the seller will not agree on the issuing a refund, if you have not received any service, we encourage you to refer this case to Trading Standards, Citizens Advise Bureau, and consumerdirect.gov.uk to pursue your claim.
These magical lines did the trick (as I do had a full plan of taking this whole issue to the legal authorities) and today I got my whole refund back. The funny part is that from last 28 days godaddy staff was saying that they don't have my payment and now magically they released my refund today.

Now the sad part is that these SOB have locked my domains and told me to re-pay them as the renwal can't be reversed, if I don't pay them I will lost my domains including the two year renewal which I paid them in december, 2009. this is a bullshit, since I have no other choice i need to pay US$ 114.38 again to these mother******

But still I am unable to understand this mystry, who is responsible for this whole thing? paypal?, godaddy? or someone actually hacked into my account and paid godaddy? well I am not agree with the hacking part since in such cases paypal can caught transactions with IPs and even though someone hack into someone paypal account they will not going to pay for a Fking domain registration, they will do a lot more than that.

I am not mad at paypal as they played their part and I did get my money back, but I am really pissed off on godaddy.com as need to re-pay them something which I don't ordered or needed, I just lost my trust on these SOBs but now I have to deal with them till 2019 :S (BTW I am awaiting their response as I just checked the whois and I saw that my domains registration information now contains bloody godaddy data instead of mine i-e they have taken over my domains, which they will release once I re-pay these BC people).
0 Likes, 0 Thanks

Comments

Sorry for your loss bilal bhai.

But since Paypal is the one from which these kind of transactions originate, I would hold them responsible. Whatever it was...there has to be a fault on Paypal's end (either checkout system fault or something) that lets these kinda shady transactions take place.

I think I remember when I paid to TigerDirect for the hard drive and cooler, while the payment was "In Progress"...there were some increments and decrements to the original amount...but since it all evened out, I didn't care then.

It was added and removed under the name of "Pending Balance Payment" and were something like 4 cents every time but I'm sure they could've done the same with more amount. Was this a new transaction (the automatic one) or was it adjusted from other payments?

On a happier note, I received $6 from a Swedish guy for helping him run AC2 on his PC...he contacted me through PakGamers =D
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 08-04-10 at 01:42 AM by eViLrAcEr
    I had a similar experience with Paypal a few years ago,and after similar stressful telephone conversations i got my money back. In my opinion the problem was in the paypal API which they give out for integration into people's websites. I bought two graphic cards from a UK website using their paypal checkout,but i payed through my credit card.No money was dedusted from my credit card,instead the money was somehow deducted from my paypal balance.No emails received,no authorization asked and i never logged into my paypal account during the checkout process.Somehow the paypal API tracked my paypal account and took money from there.
    About godaday,they ask you to give them authorization for deducing certain amounts of money when you initially buy domain from them(Read the small print ).Its something equivalent to direct debit.Thats how they deduce thsese monies without your authorization.Its kind of legally allowed cheating.
    You can search for some online legal service providers who will assist you in settling any domain name disputes,and charge you nominal fees.
    BTW,if you can do some legal research and spend something like 80 pounds in court fees,you can try opening a court case against godaddy in your local magistrate court.UK courts are fussy in letting you open any case,unlike the US courts where you can even sue your cat or dog.But you can try.If you can convince the receptionist,they will guide you through the procedure.No lawyer required,if you are good at writing threatening letters,you will win.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 07-04-10 at 08:04 AM by CrashBandicoot
    Cyber hackers?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    i think the godaddy.com guys are fraud ,may be that hacked your paypal account and transfer the money bcz we can't say any thing about paypal
    as paypal is a trusty site many pplz have hundreds and thousands of dollars in paypal account
    and if cyber hackers hack the account then why they sent payment to godaddy
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Meh, you have three parties:

1. GoDaddy
    2. PayPal
    3. You

you do not have anything to gain, paypal have a little to gain (transaction fees) and GoDaddy have the most to gain.

if there was fraud then I'd point to GD - BUT - I think it was just a mess up. Did you signup to a paypal subscription with them?

nyways. Just use http://www.namecheap.com/ and be done with it!

//edit

also remember though. There will be 00's of people trying to defraud them or put it on with them every week - they have to be cautious and take the defensive otherwise they'd go bust before long...fraud is a two way street - it's a shame it ruins the web experience for the rest of us.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 07-04-10 at 04:37 PM by jazi (more info)
    1 - Your account didn't get hack, since you're right, the hacker won't obviously pay for registrations to godaddy.com

2 - IMO, This whole trick was from GoDaddy.com, because they wanted their customer (You) to stay with you for a longer time, which obviously was not a very good way of doing it.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by safriz
    I had a similar experience with Paypal a few years ago,and after similar stressful telephone conversations i got my money back. In my opinion the problem was in the paypal API which they give out for integration into people's websites. I bought two graphic cards from a UK website using their paypal checkout,but i payed through my credit card.No money was dedusted from my credit card,instead the money was somehow deducted from my paypal balance.No emails received,no authorization asked and i never logged into my paypal account during the checkout process.Somehow the paypal API tracked my paypal account and took money from there.
    About godaday,they ask you to give them authorization for deducing certain amounts of money when you initially buy domain from them(Read the small print ).Its something equivalent to direct debit.Thats how they deduce thsese monies without your authorization.Its kind of legally allowed cheating.
    You can search for some online legal service providers who will assist you in settling any domain name disputes,and charge you nominal fees.
    BTW,if you can do some legal research and spend something like 80 pounds in court fees,you can try opening a court case against godaddy in your local magistrate court.UK courts are fussy in letting you open any case,unlike the US courts where you can even sue your cat or dog.But you can try.If you can convince the receptionist,they will guide you through the procedure.No lawyer required,if you are good at writing threatening letters,you will win.
    exactly, but I already disabled the automatic transaction option so it's not possible that they just can get out the money from my account without any notification furthermore that automatic system works when your domain is about to expire. But the point about paypal API you made is quite interesting and I think you are totally right because after getting the reply from paypal godaddy again checked the system and then they notice that the mistake is at their bloody end.

IMO both paypal and godaddy are at fault but paypal has obviously cleanly skip out from this whole situation by blaming godaddy and their refunding me the money is just a simple prove of their bad technical support. I am waiting for the reply from godaddy if I don't get a proper response then I will either contact the service which deals with the domain dispute or take godaddy to the court because right now 90% of the case is in my favour since I have all the email proofs etc.

@Evilracer: yep you are right
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    the Admin of PakGamers sues GoDaddy Domain Registrar

PG will be in the headlines ! :P lol
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Lol why would PG be in the headlines.
    It would read: Bilal, a software engineer has sued GoDaddy for Credit Card fraud hahaha. They wont include "Admin of PG" LOL!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    bilal bhai isn't a software engg afaik
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    bilal bhai to court free hay waha ko aap godaddy ko court le jaye gay court main bhi to kafi sara paisa lag jaye ga
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Whatever he is, he did a fine job of creating PG. Replace Software engineer with Webmaster
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eViLrAcEr
    the Admin of PakGamers sues GoDaddy Domain Registrar

PG will be in the headlines ! :P lol
    lol,right said Afzi...

And bilal bhai ,cool that you got your money:P and bad that you have to pay them again .any ways Stuff happens,Best not to Worry
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    ohh so this is all that godaddy sh*t commercails and stuff i got to see in the superbowl ! they lure u in with hot babes and than get away with illegal authorizations and transactions on ur paypal accounts ! bad sites bad site well gl to u bilal bro for getting ur money back
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    i just disabled auto renew on all of my domains after reading this post - just the hosting "auto renew" is on and thats monthly. what happened to you is realy strange - hacking is out of question as you said it your self a hacker would have not wasted his time to renew domain registrations . i think its godaddy - there are a lot of reports like this on net about godaddy.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks