View RSS Feed

NaNoW

{ Footprint | part 3} Typically German

Rate this Entry
First of all Thank you guys for the response, and everyone who PMed me for the support.

Now, I am gonna share an exclusive look into what a German thinks about their culture and people .

My question: So what is typically German?

their answer :

Cultural characteristics

1. Facts are important

2.Respect of rules and structures

3.Self-control

4.Monochronic notion of time

5.Separation of life areas

6.Communication style

7.Individualism

(German proverb: First the work, then amusement)

Personal relationships do not lead to
preferential treatment

Facts/objectives are the main priority,
relationship building is a side effect

Focusing on facts may be more important

Germans enjoy a personal touch, but they do
not expect it to happen

In terms of respect of rules and structure:
Rules and regulations are strictly observed,
violations are penalized

Objective:

Risk reduction and controlling
the situation

There are no exceptions to the rule

Agreements are binding

If there is a problem, Germans set up a
system

Improvisation = poor planning
my side note: Which is alot different to Pakistani culture

Rules are binding for everyone.
Rules are observed even if there is no one
who controls it (red light, bus ticket etc.)

Reliability is important

Self reliability/independence is expected

The one who needs help/information, has to take the initiative/be pro active

Time is valuable, it is to be used effeciently

Time management (even in free time) is an
important quality

Planning leads to security (control)

Germans have the 3rd fastest life rhythm in the world
One step after the other (no multitasking)

Strict separation of work and private lifeSeparation of rational and emotional (work
place = rational)
Separation of role and person (mixing both
incriminates authority)
Religion is a private matter
Separation of state and church

Object oriented communication

What is said is more important than
how it is said

"No" mean no..and "Yes" means yes

Coming straight to the point (without small talk)

Being Explicit ! Germans do not understand Subtexts !!

Problems are addressed first

Honesty is more important than politeness

Criticism is positive and helps in improving

Individualism

Being and developping yourself is important

German children are taught to be responsible for themselves,

self reliable and to have their own opinion

You are free to do what you want to as long as you do not harm anybody else

Privacy is important

My opinion :

Germans are cold until you break the ice, then they will be amazing friends.

They dont like weak, small or emotionally unstable people.

They take care of health alot. and quality of lifestyle is excellent

These people will spend 3 Euro on shirt, but 50 Euro on under garments

They are in love with America, for some reason.

Dont push them, dont test their patience, Be Calm and Move on
They get irritate easily

Taste of Music is pathetic in most of them..few are exceptionally brilliant
Love clubbing music and retro style

...but you will hear I am barbie girl, Haayeaaa Makarena, Oppa Gangnam Style, Back street boys, I am sexy and I know it in clubs...:P
though there are other most concentrated rock and metal clubs too..but mostly play cheesy songs

but watching football matches, in Irish pubs with other fans is alooot of fun

And now to answer my fellow PGs :

Quote Originally Posted by assasin42o
1st, you're doing MS or BS?
2nd, share the expenses of living, would really appreciate.
3rd. how much people are there from Asia? Specifically from Pak and India?
4th, and how are Pakis treated there?

I've always been fascinated by the culture of different European countries... They're really rich in it. Plus full of natural beauty.
2. According to the bank account you have to open from Pakistan, you have to put aside approx 690 Euro / month...but its more like 400 Euro for a good normal life...

But remember that you can work (120 days full time or 240 days part time) /year.

You can get Student HiWi or Student Research Assitant jobs.

They usually give you 40 hours/ month. Though you can get more or less as your wish.

And you can earn from 9.80 to 13 Euro usually. Mostly, and keep calculations simple, lets assume you get 10 Euro. So that means you can easily expect to fullfill all your requirements by working part time. But remember thats easier said than done, because of the high level of education and self study. and these prices vary a lil from city to city, but my estimations are a good average.

3. Every year, like this one, IMTEK (name of department of Uni Freiburg) gets 25 people from India and 4-5 from Pakistan. So the population of Desi people is very low. Most people who finish studies move to other cities or countries.

Frankfurt, Berlin and Munchen are ofcourse a bit different, more multicultural. They get a lil higher number of Desi people, but still our number is significantly low in comparison to Turkish or other nationalities.
In my town you will meet alot of people (esp girls) from eastern Europe, France , Spain, Italy, etc ..rather than Indian or Paki.

4. Zero tolerance level to racism has made Germany nearly free from it.
Most young Germans have personally told me that they want to get rid of the stereotype that Germans dont like others. Infact, a few of them say that they want more people from around the world to come here and contribute.
The thing is, they like hard working people, and the fact that nearly all Pakistanis here work in specialized field make them respect us. so in short Pakistanis are respected here, and in my opinion, they are making Pakistan proud.

Quote Originally Posted by XxRebellionxX
How is Germany in comparison to UK for studies? I am planning to go to UK after my A-levels but I'm just as much compelled to go to Germany.
In short if you can learn the language, (I am going to write a blog on that topic soon as well) and I am saying this after being in England for 4 months, Germany, in my honest opinion, has much better job perspective,quality of education(exclude ox-bridge), quality of life and security.what else is there?.

P.S: its been snowing since last night now...5 days now since I saw the sun (and this being Germany's sunniest city)..the last time it snowed a week ago it was a mini snow storm, I got stuck in that...(it will be one of the topic of blog in near future), how a simple day turned into an adventure due to me not covered properly for the snow (and to my Karachitte Pakistani skin it was like climbing Everest)

@cheesewarrior01 : appreciate the support man! @Major Aly @shahzadfootball @assasin42o @XxRebellionxX
for a few pics : http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f28/...6/index12.html

wow that was a long blog...
Please Like and Subscribe...and Peace ...!

0 Likes, 0 Thanks

Updated 06-01-13 at 05:14 AM by NaNoW

Categories
Education , Personal Diary

Comments

Seems you've really dug in deep into their culture. keep it up mate.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Enjoyable read, I'm sure the normal German person slightly stray from the rules the girl mentioned; nobody can be that perfectly efficient

The thing is, they like hard working people, and the fact that nearly all Pakistanis here work in specialized field make them respect us. so in short Pakistanis are respected here, and in my opinion, they are making Pakistan proud.
    Really glad to hear this!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesewarrior01
    Enjoyable read, I'm sure the normal German person slightly stray from the rules the girl mentioned; nobody can be that perfectly efficient

Really glad to hear this!
    Normal Germans are considered cold becasue they dont stray as much as we might expect.
    Ofcourse the newer generation does stray a bit, as eastern europian interaction is increasing, but even then they have a certain aura of being "reserved"

Like points below are completly different from rest of the world, I havent seen anyone obeying this attitude this religiously in anyone else.
    Coming straight to the point (without small talk)

Being Explicit ! Germans do not understand Subtexts !!

Improvisation = poor planning

Honesty is more important than politeness
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    I wish I was into Engineering. I sooo want to go to Germany.

No small talk = My kind of people.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    So is the security really good? I know you already mentioned it but racism against People from South Asia is usually common in these countires from what I've heard.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo
    So is the security really good? I know you already mentioned it but racism against People from South Asia is usually common in these countires from what I've heard.
    compared to the rest of the world, Germany has got low racism. In every society racism is present, but we need to remember this is a nation that is trying its best to cleanse itself from the scars left by history. Eastern Europe might have more racism, but in my experience (and my people who have been living here since 15 odd years ) Germany is a very safe. On every visit you will see around 8-10 women wearing hijab, due to the decent number of turkish people.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    @Wajhi
    I asked a question in the Part 2 of this blog. Do check it and answer it.

On topic:
    I like the Germans now.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Germany is more secure!!!!! read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...wa_El-Sherbini

and you said i am leaving pakistan as germany is more secure

Security rests with Allah only.

and remember this Allah says in the Holy Quran " Jews and Christians can never be your friends".

and lastly in 2011 alone 4040 cases including 528 violent crimes were registered with the police of hate crimes against the muslims.

so open your eyes man and rid your self of this inferiority complex
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    German chicks are the hardest to trap in the whole of europe,save for greek chicks they are even more difficult....
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    did you learnt German before going there?
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Mehdi
    Germany is more secure!!!!! read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...wa_El-Sherbini

and you said i am leaving pakistan as germany is more secure

Security rests with Allah only.

and remember this Allah says in the Holy Quran " Jews and Christians can never be your friends".

and lastly in 2011 alone 4040 cases including 528 violent crimes were registered with the police of hate crimes against the muslims.

so open your eyes man and rid your self of this inferiority complex

what you said is just mindbogglingly retarded.....!!

you googled racism in germany, and this is what it came up with....one case, in which
    She was stabbed by Alex Wiens,[note 2] an ethnic German immigrant from Russiaagainst whom she had testified in a criminal case for verbal abuse
    immigrant from Russia..?? Thats what you are basing your argument on??
    These kinda things, even worst, happen every hour in Pakistan, and not acknowledging that problem makes you a fool, not a patriot ...
    My opinion is based on observation and numbers, not "how I feel like when I get up in the morning".

Respecting other cultures and appreciating other's achievement doesn't make you a
    victim of "inferiority complex". You are no one to judge how I feel about my country and my people.
    I dont need to explain myself to you, but just so that you might learn not to judge others, I am gonna do exactly that. If you were paying so much attention to my point of view, then how did you miss
    The Pakistani people in Germany are very hard working and are full of talent. In my opinion, it goes to show that if we have the right setup and environment, we too can achieve significantly better results...only the mindset of a few 'so called leaders' need to change..and people who are responsible for dealing with internal problems need to up and purify their efforts...

when we can make a nuclear warhead, we can make anything..

Last edited by Wajhi; 05-12-12 at 11:21 PM.

and the biggest irony of them all is
    each and every respected aalim of islam explains this quote in the EXACT opposite manner to which you have said...

http://www.answering-christianity.co...i/friends.html

One common verse that Christians like to quote from the Quran is verse 5:51 which reads:
    5:51 O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends: They are but friends to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them is of them. Verily Allah guidethnot a people unjust.

Christians like to quote this verse then go on to argue that Muslims are not allowed to be friends with Christians and Jews.

The point of this article is to simply show that Muslims are allowed to be friends with Christians and Jews, and that the verse is actually wrongly translated into friends.

I will first quote a fatwa by a group of scholars concerning this very issue:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543362
    and I absoultly love the way you LIED about those facts ...Here is the complete chart http://tandis.odihr.pl/hcr2011/pdf/C...es/Germany.pdf
    Bias motivations recorded based on Race/colour
    Xenophobia
    Ethnicity/national origin/national minority
    Citizenship
    Language
    Religion
    Sexual orientation
    Transgender
    Disability
    Other: Appearance, social status
    Those reported cases were against more than 12 motivations (reasons) and it doesnt say anywhere it was agasint muslims..

Khuda ka kauf karo besharam admi...

first you dont have the right to judge another person without knowing him
    second you mis-quoted Qurain Ayats without first understanding them
    third You LIED about facts and pulled out fake numbers from your a**...

open your eyes man
    My eyes might be closed, my mind isnt!

I hate talking in this tone, but dont disillusion people!
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 08-12-12 at 02:06 AM by NaNoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy
    did you learnt German before going there?
    umm yes I did...but i would recommend that you wait for the next blog, as language is the topic I am gna focus on
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Thanks Wajhi. Very informative blog. You cleared many things, and my perspective for Germans has started to change.. Btw, being a Karachiite, you must've loved the snowfall the first day eh?

And you've gained ALOT of experience and exposure in such a short time. I wouldve taken atleast a couple of years to dig that deep. :O

Nice observation.
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by assasin42o
    Thanks Wajhi. Very informative blog. You cleared many things, and my perspective for Germans has started to change.. Btw, being a Karachiite, you must've loved the snowfall the first day eh?

And you've gained ALOT of experience and exposure in such a short time. I wouldve taken atleast a couple of years to dig that deep. :O

Nice observation.
    Karachi is the best place to live man, we are kings in that city... unfortunately alot of bad people also think like that...
    I miss our sun already, now its nearly 9 days without proper sun...snow and snow everywhere, it reaches -6,-7..but yeah I like the cold, beats the humidity in karachi.....the Christmas markets around all these towns are just WOW...it's not just me, the traveling here is so simple that if you dont do it yourself, you regret it later. just buy a semester ticket and you can roam withen the city (trams, buses) and outside the city to surrounding other cities and areas for free (s bahn, RE trains, etc)..if you wana go futher go to "http://www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de/" thats basically car/train/etc pooling (group of people meet and pay very less)
    0 Likes, 0 Thanks
    Updated 08-12-12 at 12:12 AM by NaNoW