PDA

View Full Version : Which field to be choose?

MOHSIN HADI
12-05-11, 01:30 PM
I m planing to choose gaming development as my carrier.
But confused in which field to go?
I personally like programing and graphics designing.
Suggest me from above 2 fields.......
I want to make it my profession so only serious suggestions..........

enygmyx
13-05-11, 04:49 PM
Hi Mohsin,
Game Programming and Game Content Development (graphic designing) are two pretty different fields. I would base my choice on aptitude. For game programming I would consider the following:
1. Do you like problem solving?
2. Are you good with logic?
3. Are you good with Maths/Physics?
4. Do you have any previous experience with programming?

For content development I would ask the following questions:
1. Are you a creatuve person?
2. Would you rate your aesthetic sense above average?
3. Are you good with lighting and colors?
4. Do you have any experience with traditional arts?

This is definitely not an exhaustive list but that should get you started. Choose the field for which you have more yes's. From a oppurtunity to learn perspective (is there any place where you can learn the tricks of the trade) I would rate both more or less equal. In pakistan there are no institutes/centers which teach any of these specific fields. Yes you can learn programming do a bachelors in CS but game programming requires much more knowledge than what a usual bachelor level CS degree will give. But it would be start. Similarly there are institutes like NCA etc that will give you a basis for digital art. Then you can do a more focused course from a place like Arena multimedia. After that you can either start self learning or join some company that would be willing to train you.
This information is based on the assumption that you want to do this in Pakistan, If going/studying abroad is an option the situation is different.
Plus before you finalize your decision you should take into consideration other factors as well. I would advise that you meet someone working in the field and do a detailed discussion with them. If possible spend a day or two with them at work, get to know how they work and what are their work requirements and then decide what is best for you.
Hope this helps.

MOHSIN HADI
14-05-11, 05:47 PM
Thanx bro.........your answer is really helpfull,i'll reply u in brief in night.

deffury
16-05-11, 11:27 AM
Have you ever created Maps or modded any games??

MOHSIN HADI
29-05-11, 11:25 PM
No,I have no experience in this field.

KarachiGamer
30-05-11, 11:24 AM
I suggest you that choose the iPhone Application Developer field because iPhone Application Developers rapidly growing and i don't think that career goes declined.

Juste
31-05-11, 10:54 AM
Choose your career according to your residence. First decide you gonna live in Pakistan or you will go abroad. Every career don't have same worth in every country :)

zubair
31-05-11, 07:13 PM
absolutely correct!

REHMAN 786
31-05-11, 07:20 PM
Web designing

Cerberus
31-05-11, 11:07 PM
modding cases!!!!