PDA

View Full Version : [Aurora] ROUNDTABLE - Why has 360 succeed in Pakistan while PS3 failed?

radd
28-07-09, 08:56 PM
Written by : PROJECT AURORA
Original Date: June 25, 2008

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/6/26/f_XBOXcopycopm_d7c201d.png

Conscript (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/conscript.html)

PIRACY:
One of the biggest reasons why the xbox360 has done really well in Pakistan is due to the piracy factor. Pirated xbox360 games are readily available all over Pakistan and at cheap rates. Pirated Malaysian xbox360 games are usually available in the market within a week of their release. I was able to get GTA IV the same day it released worldwide, due to an earlier leak of the original copy. So considering that Pakistanis do not like to reach deep into their pockets while paying for software, xbox360 is the ideal console for budget conscious gamers.

AWESOME LINEUP:
Learning from their experience with the original xbox, Microsoft put up one hell of a lineup for the xbox360. They secured big titles both first party and third party. The highlights of 2006-07 included Halo 3, PGR 3-4, Bioshock, Crackdown, Saints Row, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Forza Motorsports 2 etc. They also managed to bring to the 360, games that were previously considered Playstation exclusives. These included Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5 and Assassin's Creed. Nevertheless, the biggest haul of course was GTA IV. Previously GTA games were released first on Sony consoles and then on other consoles after a period of six-eight months. However, this time MS made sure GTA IV would get a simultaneous release on both consoles and topped that with securing an exclusive download package for the 360 version of the game.

Therefore, if you are looking for some awesome titles MS has a whole lot of games up its sleeve for 2008-09. These include the sequel to Gears of War, Fable 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie, Too Human, Dead or Alive 5, Forza Motorsports 3 and a whole lot of JRPGs (if you're into that stuff). And this is not counting the multi-platform games.

XBOX LIVE:
Xbox LIVE was setup in the days of the original xbox, but it really gained momentum in 360 era. MS has worked really hard to make LIVE user friendly and easy to use. The result is that LIVE is currently the most used platform for online play. However, the only downfall is that you have to pay for it. However, MS does offer a three-month Gold trial. But I have to tell you it is certainly worth it to pay for it. LIVE works smoothly with a 512kps DSL connection. So if you have an xbox360 console hook in the DSL cable and come onto LIVE to kick some ass in hundreds of LIVE compatible titles.

COMPARATIVELY CHEAP:
Xbox360 is the cheapest next-gen console, at the moment, in the market. The Arcade costs Rs.19-23k, Pro costs Rs.24-28k. While the cheapest version of PS3 costs around 28k. In addition, all its accessories are easily available in the market. Wii is also selling for insane prices in the market. Shopkeepers ask anything between 20-28k for it.

MISC REASONS:
Then there are smaller joys of xbox360 that attract fans from all walks of life.

Xbox 360 has the ability to play songs during gameplay (either from a removable storage device, an mp3 player, an iPod or songs stored on your xbox360 HDD). It is really cool to listen to Iron Maiden while kicking some locust a**.

A software update has allowed xbox360 console owners to play divX video files by either streaming from a PC or from some removable storage device.

You can also achieve an inexpensive high definition experience for the xbox360 by purchasing an xbox360 VGA cable and connecting your xbox360 to a monitor or a LCD. It is a big step up from playing on SDTV.

The Xbox 360 has great resale value in Pakistan. There is so much interest in the console that people lineup to buy even a second hand console. Even if your console dies (God forbid), even then you can sell the accessories for a good price and make up for your loss.

You can personalize your console by downloading themes from Xbox Marketplace. It gives a badass look to your console to have a Gears or Halo theme on your console. You can also change the consoles plain white faceplate for something a little more RADD like a Fifa 08, Gears or Forza faceplate.

Arsal (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/arsal.html)

I've always had this theory about why Xbox has always been relatively more popular in Pakistan as compared to any other console. The reason is in fact rooted to our own culture. For a nation that was freed after innumerable efforts and so many fights, for a nation that has its history in wars and battles and not art, theater or music, the PS3 and Wii are not 'manly enough'. On the other hand, the Xbox360 provides much chauvinistic edge to the young Pakistanis who have all their lives looked up to the greatest warriors whom ever lived instead of perhaps the greatest artists that passed by. It is not a matter of shame however - hardly, in fact. But it is interesting to see how history affects the present of an entire nation.

Shyber (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/shyber.html)

#1) Piracy:
For even a die hard Pakistani gamer, 4000Rs game is a big no no. In Pakistan, boys don't usually start major earning till they're through studies. By then they're married and they don't get to play games, videogames i mean :)
Their jobs during studies are mostly tuitions and tuition fees aren't paid in dollars. The 4000Rs price tag for games was calculated for an average US citizen. Add to this taxes and shipping which makes the overall price just overkill for a citizen of a developing nation like Pakistan. Anyone earning in Pakistani rupees will be insane to casually spend on a product which was priced with USA in mind and pay so much extra for shipping. Specially if that product is a videogame of all things. If you're in USA, 50-70$ for a single title in a month is not even one tenth of an expense as 4000Rs is in Pakistan. Einstein gave the theory or relativity for a reason. Ok, the last line was unnecessary.

#2) Accessibility:
Xbox360 is your cheapest and most accessible source to hi def next gen gaming. With PC games' requirements going higher every year and almost all major PC titles readily available on Xbox360 - with FS/MSAA and HD resolution and minimal hassle to get it up and running, gamers are substituting PC gaming in favor of X360.

#3) Pakistani/Japanese Cultural incompatibility:
I don't know how true this may be, but most of the Pakistani gamers I've come across in my life don't really appreciate Japanese origin titles. They consider it childish and too fantasy for their "masculine" tastes. Xbox360 has more of these "boyish" titles - quick action oriented Bharam Bazi games. LOL.

#4) Xbox360 Cost of development:
(For the sake of argument, I'm willing to ignore wii to an extent that it doesn't even exist)
Whatever your explanation be, the fact is obvious - currently MS has the upper hand when it comes to console battles. Call it MS's marketing, call it the full year head start, call it easy architecture for devs or whatever, the development studios are heading over the Xbox360 side and choosing it as their console of preference for game development. Any multi platform game will be on Xbox360 first and there are chances that the PS3 might be completely ignored (Red Alert 3 anyone?). Game development costs have escalated quite much in this generation. You have to have professional music artists, graphics designers and developers that can project the most minute of details and special effects, script writers for engrossing stories for lifelike characters, etc to make a single AAA game. Because of the considerable differences in PS3 and X360's architectures, unless devs design custom platform independent template based tools which allows same game to be ported over to any platform (kind of like what Capcom is doing), it requires a game to be completely remade on the PS3. Given PS3's weak userbase, time constraints and development costs - add to that MS's developer friendly tools and environments and PS3 is a nightmare to work on. Though the situation is improving for Sony as developers are becoming more accustomed to the PS3 hardware but the damage has been done - the xbox360 userbase is considerably much larger than that of PS3. But this is a global factor for PS3 lagging behind Xbox360 - not just in Pakistan though this factor plays an important role explained in the next point

#5) Userbase:
It's a little hard to say this and I'll invite a lot of flame over myself for saying this, but I've noticed that Pakistanis are more trend followers than trend setters. Because of the reasons I explained in the previous point, xbox360 is now the trend. It is t3h c0oln3sXXXerz (or whatever - duh). People, mostly teengers - the age group that plays most games - entering hardcore gaming with the xbox360 will have it define their gaming senses and develop a very western oriented gaming mindset. If you weren't a hardcore gamer before PS2, or should I say hardcore playstation gamer, you won't really understand the metal gears and final fantasies - which, I have to say, are the only (big) things the PS3 has to offer for now. Many Pakistani gamers can find it easy to ignore Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy. For them, PS3 is the most expensive and technically sophisticated paper weight ever designed.

08lly (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/08lly.html)

The price, piracy, games and the colour green. Case closed.

Blooby (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/blooby.html)

1) Piracy (DUH):
Being the only next-gen console on the market with pirated games (and next-gen graphics) it attracts a HUGE number of people with the promise of a cheap and exciting gaming experience. Also, to us (Pakistanis) it is inconceivable to pay 4000 for a mere game. Parents even take it to the level of a MORAL SIN!

2) Games:
Lets face it, Pakistanis (mostly) just DONOT like RPGs or Stealthy Action or more specifically JAPANESE games. All they care about is Shooting or Slicing the sh*t out of the baddies with no strings attached. Heck most people do not even care about the stories! So the 360 having mostly Shooters, Action and violent games appeals the average bloodthirsty gamer.

3) Price:
Compared to the PS3 the initial cost of Buying the console itself is comparatively less (24k vs 30k) and with the availability of cheap games its a sweeter package.

Honorable mention:
*Sarcasm ON*
Hardware Reliabilaty:
OMG TEH 360 is teh mozt reliable consolez!
It workz even if teh UBER US Army drops teh big Bombz on it!
Teh RRoD is Sh*t it dont exiztz!
*Sarcasm OFF*
^ahh that was fun!

USUF (http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/members/usuf.html)

Well...i don't REEEAAALLY think this article is gonna get somewhere....The only BIG difference which separates the 360 with the PS3 is just Piracy. Heck, the 40 GB PS3 version is less expensive here in Karachi than the Premium a.k.a Falcon 360.....If the PS3 games were also within the 500 Margin then i bet the Ps3 would've kicked the 360s ass here in Pakistan as well...

Because you know the typical Pakistani gamer....Knows nothing except the word PS2...What is an Xbox??/...I've never heard of it???...What the hell is this game HELO??? *he'll never say it Halo*....*sees E3 for the first time*..."WOW Gaming world is soooo big now....Im gonna go tell me mom and dad!!!!"
*PS3 releases*
*HOLY SHITZ Playstation 3....Play station 3!!...PLAY STATION 3!!!"
"look at that shiny silver thing...It kicks ass!"
^^^
Ahh that was fun ass well lol

Chandoo
28-07-09, 10:52 PM
Has it really "succeeded" though ? i mean, 5th year in it's life but it's main stream appeal is nowhere close to as big as the PS2's was in it's fifth year in Pakistan.

Shyber
28-07-09, 10:57 PM
Has it really "succeeded" though ? i mean, 5th year in it's life but it's main stream appeal is nowhere close to as big as the PS2's was in it's fifth year in Pakistan.

If you're talking about Pakistan then well, we've been on a really downward trend now, no? I mean, people are crying for flour and sugar so it's really not the same anymore.

Chandoo
28-07-09, 11:01 PM
well, yeah i'm talking about pakistan, because that's what the topic is about :p

if success is measured in relative terms compared to the PS3 and the Wii, then sure it's been a great success, hell it's been a great source of money for a lot of electronics repairmen as well :p, but overall in Pakistan, there hasn't been any console that picked off like the PS2 did.

Lars
28-07-09, 11:58 PM
I agree , PS2 still FTW in Pakistan (no matter how)

shad0w
29-07-09, 03:06 AM
i think a major part of what's killing the 360 is the rrod's and errors.. in other news my 360 has been declared dead! :(

SolitarySoldier
29-07-09, 03:15 AM
Now in 2k9, PS3 isn't that bad in Pakistan.

Surely 360 got the piracy advantage and i don't see any other concrete reason.

GoldenHawk
29-07-09, 04:17 AM
The one reason the 360 didnt work well in pakistan is the RROD yeah we pakistani ppl dont

like paying for licensed software but we dont want the hardware to breakdown either

thatz y PS3 RULZZZ but i agree the piracy thing is one strike to the 360 but the getting

banned on xbl isnt funn and when crysis 2 rolls out sometime next year youll see that youll

get one rrod per grenade

"THE 360 IS JUST A PRETENDER THE PS3 IS THE REAL NEXT-GEN CONSOLE "

Em0s
29-07-09, 09:18 AM
The only advantage 360 have is piracy. Otherwise, PS3 would have done much better in Pakistan, especially.

radd
29-07-09, 09:34 AM

and i am the real banhammer, watch your posts.

360 is the best selling console in Pakistan BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR, i dont see what the problem is.

Chandoo
29-07-09, 12:40 PM
360 is the best selling console in Pakistan BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR, i dont see what the problem is.Compared to what ? the PS3 and Wii ? Sure.

Overall ? not even close by a long shot, you can find more kids/adults shopping for ps2's or ps2 games in any given day in saddar, even today.

R3Z0N
29-07-09, 12:51 PM

yep thats the reason re5 looks better on the 360

manigamer
29-07-09, 01:49 PM
well the only reason i see for the 360 to have a big margin here in pakistan is the piracy... other then that some exclusives maybe but thats it...

Conscript
29-07-09, 01:59 PM
360 has a decent user base in Pakistan. But until it gets close to the 12k mark. We won't be seeing it in every other household like the PS2.

AI Protech
29-07-09, 02:20 PM
PS3 is better than Xbox 360........ the only factor it has failed here is because of piracy....... because a person can afford ps3 but not its games and esp when one is a hardcore gamer........ 4000 for a game is one hell of a amount for 40k per month earner because us k saaray kharchon k baad he is left with only 5-6k and then if he buys a 4k game then wht he will do....... so only piracy is the issue...... otherwise PS3 is much better than 360 because it offers free online gameplay, it also have some exclusives like Resistance, Infamous, MGS(used to be now new one is coming on 360 as well) others i dont remember....... there are other factors also involved..... its just a matter of some time when games of ps3 prices will be dropped as blue ray's will be common every where......

Conscript
29-07-09, 02:30 PM
You really should do some googling before jumping in the fanboys.

because it offers free online gameplayUniversal truth. LIVE > PSN. Even though people have to pay on LIVE, they prefer it over PSN. Better matchmaking + overall service. 20+ million users on LIVE.

its just a matter of some time when games of ps3 prices will be dropped as blue ray's will be common every where......No. It won't. Games retail for 60$ in the US. And prices for original games will always be the equivalent of that in our local market in paki rupees.

it also have some exclusives like Resistance, Infamous, MGS(used to be now new one is coming on 360 as well) others i dont rememberGears series, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, Forza 3, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 and the mammoth of other multi-platforms say Howdy!

Deadly Shadow
29-07-09, 03:19 PM
Gears series, Halo ODST, Halo Reach, Forza 3, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2

Only Gears 2, Halo ODST isn't even out yet, halo reach isn't out yet, Alan wake isn't out yet (And I am pretty sure, after 3-6 months of its release it will come to the PC, Forza 3 aint out yet, ME2 isn't out yet either, and I will come to the PC.

Look at the PS3 exclusives, that he mentioned, they are ALL out. And they are ALL exclusives to the PS3.

radd
29-07-09, 08:08 PM
Compared to what ? the PS3 and Wii ? Sure.

Overall ? not even close by a long shot, you can find more kids/adults shopping for ps2's or ps2 games in any given day in saddar, even today.

lolwut? ofcourse compared to ps3 and wii, what do you expect? sega genesis.

our market is very sensitive to price and its height, ps2 sold for around 12k, 360 is still over 20k. a very imbalanced comparison.

Faddi
29-07-09, 08:58 PM
Ps3 would have kicked 360's *** if the pirates games were available.There are many many great and good quality exclusives on the ps3 which has no comparison with the 360.The main cause of the failure is this

Chandoo
29-07-09, 09:02 PM
lolwut? ofcourse compared to ps3 and wii, what do you expect? sega genesis.

our market is very sensitive to price and its height, ps2 sold for around 12k, 360 is still over 20k. a very imbalanced comparison.

of course it is, hence my bewildered reply :p
360 is the best selling console in Pakistan BY FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR, i dont see what the problem is.

see what i meant ? :P

anywho, it's kind of surprising that the wii isnt picking up nearly as fast as it SHOULD, seeing as how it's relatively cheap, and has been effectively modded as well, and has no reliability issues (and if i'm correct, it's mod chip bypasses region ala the ps2 chips).

Necrokiller
29-07-09, 09:17 PM
Pretty much all points presented in the article are valid. In Pakistan, piracy rules all so its no surprise that Xbox 360 is doing well. But its surprising that at the same time people are willing to pay to play online.

But really, you get what you pay for. For someone interested in Blu-ray movies, there really isn't a better deal out there as the PS3 works better than most stand-alone Blu-ray players. You don't get that with the 360. X360 also doesn't have built-in wifi. I have my entire movie/music library wirelessly synced to my PS3 whereas my PC is upstairs in my room. It doesn't get better than that. You don't get that in the X360, unless you pay $100 more for it. If you really start comparing now, an Xbox 360 with enough features to compete with PS3 is just as expensive as the PS3 itself. PS3 also has enough first party exclusives which kick ass. So it boils down to what the user wants. Sure a price cut would help a great deal, but it also offers alot more to the people who pay the price premium for it.

Chandoo
29-07-09, 10:35 PM
blu ray movies, wi fi etc are all needless tacked on things, no one gives two cents about them.

you've carefully missed out the most important thing about these devices, THE GAMES :P. An average Pakistani is in no position to pay 5000 rs per game, that more than makes up for "free online".

GoldenHawk
29-07-09, 10:37 PM
and i am the real banhammer, watch your posts.

If ur 360 died on the first day u bought it ud b sayin the same thing.

radd
29-07-09, 11:12 PM
your died, not mine. do you see me hawking 360 as the most reliable hardware ever? cause i bought mine some 2.5 years ago.

GoldenHawk
29-07-09, 11:15 PM
Ur time will come ull b singin a different tune after throwing ur 360 outta ur bedroom window:P beacuse its giving you the red stop sign every time you turn it on and as far as "the banhammer" goes even you cant ban me for giving my opinion which is based on my past experience with the 360

SolitarySoldier
30-07-09, 03:34 AM
^ Easy there bro :P.

It's obvious that 360 is not much reliable when it comes to harware prospect but people prefer it mainly because of piracy and they know thier console will last more than a year on average or 1.5 years indeed which is quiet a big time to play tons of pirated games. Some of them are lucky enough to cross 2 years and i think it's a great period of cheapy games. :P Problem is to buy it again when it finally dies. :( Some people manage to do it, some turns over to other consoles or PC.

Me think if PS3 had piracy, i would be selling more than any current-gen console in our country. Cheap games, free online play and better first party can make PS3 a better choice but... piracy in PS3 :confused: very unlikely. :(

So... you do not have any other choice but to get a 360 (Note: Wii isn't considered as a choice.:P) unless you feel happy to play few games online/offline on PS3( I feel great :8) or you really got a lot of $$$$. :P

Necrokiller
30-07-09, 03:39 AM
blu ray movies, wi fi etc are all needless tacked on things, no one gives two cents about them.
No shocker coming from you... you learn to hate anything you can't have :P

you've carefully missed out the most important thing about these devices, THE GAMES :P. An average Pakistani is in no position to pay 5000 rs per game, that more than makes up for "free online".
Wait.. didn't I say its no surprise it sells more coz of piracy? :P
You are sorely mistaken if you think an average Paki in these times can even afford a 360 :mental

For that matter, an average Pakistani is still happy with a PS2. :lol: In your very own words: "you can find more kids/adults shopping for ps2's or ps2 games in any given day in saddar, even today."

radd
30-07-09, 07:06 AM
beta if youre talking of your experience, mention IN MY EXPERIENCE. next time a quotation like this..

will net you a warning.

btw, why was this in quotes anyways? hahaha

Chandoo
30-07-09, 01:06 PM
No shocker coming from you... you learn to hate anything you can't have http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gifwait .. what ? :S

do i really need to tell you how pathetic the implimentation rate of any form of next-gen optical medium in pakistan is ? :S

oh wait, you're just being a retard for being a retard's sake :p

You are sorely mistaken if you think an average Paki in these times can even afford a 360 http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/common067.gif

For that matter, an average Pakistani is still happy with a PS2. http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/lol.gif In your very own words: "you can find more kids/adults shopping for ps2's or ps2 games in any given day in saddar, even today."topic's about the 360 in comparison to the PS3 and Wii, and in that comparison a 360 is a much easier investment, hell it's basically like a PC, you invest in it once after that you have practically free games, unlike the PS3. Or if you're lucky or a smart shopper like me, you can buy a 360 for the same price as a PS2 ;) , hell if i remember Radd's 360 also cost him 15k, and that was 2 years ago.

and yeah it's no surprise the PS2 is still the most commonly sought after console in Pakistan, it's just that awesome, but when the average ps2 owner wants to take the next step, the 360 is the next logical step, not the ps3, or the wii, just look at me and my purchase cycle.

Necrokiller
30-07-09, 01:21 PM
Oh bhai I presented a simple logic, that you get what you pay for. And for people who are interested in those features I mentioned, then PS3 does provide you alot of goodies. (now x360 isnt giving you more at a lesser price). I mentioned some scenarios where it works flawlessly for me. I don't need a HTPC in my lounge...I can just wirelessly sync and watch all my videos or listen to music through my PS3. And really, if no PS3 owner is using all those features to its full potential, then it was a poor investment. And I also don't have to force my setup in a place where I can easily connect my Ethernet wire. Really you can't say wi-fi is a useless thing. Thats ridiculous man.

Is it bang for buck? At this point, most certainly not. And I never even said one must buy the PS3 coz of those features. You just got defensive for no reason. To put it into perspective, compare the features of an Elite to an Arcade, then its price. So Arcade is a most basic, or in other words dumbed down version of the Elite, which has more features and its price is near that of a PS3. Get it?

Chandoo
30-07-09, 01:34 PM
but that's exactly what my respond to the wi fi and blu ray was.

WHO NEEDS THOSE THINGS IN PAKISTAN lol.

we are a nation of 600 mb xvid rips, we are not keen on using wi fi etc. As far as "Pakistan" goes, those extra's are a waste and the bang for buck theory doesn't apply since most of the bang is completely needless by OUR standards.

Dude, you live in canada, we know ;p

Necrokiller
30-07-09, 02:02 PM
but that's exactly what my respond to the wi fi and blu ray was.

WHO NEEDS THOSE THINGS IN PAKISTAN lol.

we are a nation of 600 mb xvid rips, we are not keen on using wi fi etc. As far as "Pakistan" goes, those extra's are a waste and the bang for buck theory doesn't apply since most of the bang is completely needless by OUR standards.

Dude, you live in canada, we know ;p

I remember when I bought a 4GB Creative mp3 player YEARS AGO... everyone was like dude what the hell will you do with 4gb of songs? And now its pretty much a standard. So don't undermine yourself and our country dude. The rate of growth amongst people might be slower, but all those things are available in Pakistan. And people who can afford it can enjoy them. Just like you got a good deal and are enjoying a next-gen console. Warna no one really 'needs' a next-gen gaming console as well. Yeh sab shashkay bhi ameeron ke hain :P And yeah, Im in Canada...but someone with a router and a PS3 can do all that in Pakistan too. sarro toh mat :P

Shyber
30-07-09, 02:25 PM
Well, I bought the PS3 for its exclusives. Certain titles I couldn't live without.

It's nice that with just 100$ more, Sony is giving my WiFi and BluRay player. Wah, kia baat hai Sony ki. But I'd rather have those 100$ in my pocket, buy a couple of games more and leave the BluRay/Wifi as additional add ons which I might buy when I have enough spare cash. Thing is, Sony is not giving us an option. They're giving great value for the money we're spending but they're being dumb really. Perhaps Sony is just desperately pushing Bluray tech otherwise PS3 could've been an able console with a DVDrom only. Sure it's nice to have a bluray player and with the proper equipment, the bluray movies are fantastic to watch but I can do that on my PC.

Thing is, I don't need it. The Wifi and Bluray. I'm cautious about latencies and it's not recommended to use WiFi for gaming purposes. And I got my PC for Blurays. So, I'd rather have my 100$ back. Can I? No. Sony is losing money on this. MS is making money on this. Their accessories are over-priced. They're making money over it and at the same time giving the consumer an "option". That's intelligent.

Necrokiller
30-07-09, 02:34 PM
Dude, you seriously telling me besides movies you will never see benefits of Blu-ray in games? No really, are you being serious? MGS4 HELLO? I agree, SOMETIMES its better to have an option. But then again they didn't care for it. In my opinion, its better this way. Now how stupid was the $200 HD-DVD add on on the X360? Wasn't it? They lost the war, and no one was looking forward to buy such an expensive add-on anyway. And don't complain about Wi-Fi...these consoles were never targetted for our Country anyway.... and in other countries, take it from my personal experience, playing online through wi-fi is the SAME as ethernet. That is why wi-fi is considered a huge feature..atleast in this part of the world..and hopefully there as well when internet speeds get better. In the long run, you will appreciate it that its all built-in..and not having to worry about add-ons. Add-ons add to the mess and is not aesthetically pleasing anyway :P

r3aper
30-07-09, 03:21 PM
ok so after reading through all 4 pages, it can easily be said that if you are a non-earning-student-type-gamer then 360 is the best bang for the buck for you!
But if you have some cash to spare why waste it on a console on which you can't game on for more than 2-3 hours, you have other choices which will return good value for your money.
If you are saying that a ps3 game costs 4 grands it refers to the fact that 360 is only good because it has teh force of the pirates with it?I mean what other reason you have to chose 360 over PS3?All you guys are talking about is piracy...and nothing else...

In the end it all depends how much heavy your wallet is...with cash ofcourse <__<

And btw what the heck is arsal talking about in the OP? :S weird!

Chandoo
30-07-09, 03:22 PM
And people who can afford it can enjoy them.5 thousand rupees per every new game. :P

No dear, not everyone who isn't the son of a magistrate can enjoy this in Pakistan.

MGS4 HELLO?MGS4 = 1 disc = 32 GB = 5000 rs.
Lost Odyssey = 4 discs = 28 GB = 350~400 rs depending on who you get it from.

where exactly does the advantage lie here ? :S

Thing is, I don't need it.pretty much, that statement sums up most of the PS3's features nicely.

these consoles were never targetted for our Country anywayso what's your point of argument then ? :S topic's about Pakistan, and since most of the PS3's key features are kinda useless in Pakistan, why bother.

Now how stupid was the $200 HD-DVD add onyeah it was stupid, THAT'S WHY NO ONE FREAKING BOUGHT IT :lol:

Your arguments in this topic are compeltely off-base as far as Pakistan goes, as a Pakistani PS3 owner has already said pretty much the same thing I have about things being useless for the most part, don't bring the foreign perspective here, since that's not what we're talking about to begin with.

All you guys are talking about is piracy...and nothing else...uh .. yeah ?

we are talking about the state of gaming in Pakistan afterall, we don't have any official releases of these things here, we take what we can get

USUF
30-07-09, 03:24 PM
why waste it on a console on which you can't game on for more than 2-3 hours
THIS....is a very common misconception about the Xbox 360 mai frend....

r3aper
30-07-09, 03:36 PM
THIS....is a very common misconception about the Xbox 360 mai frend....^but phir bhi yar...you have that fear always dancing on your head...no?

we are talking about the state of gaming in Pakistan afterall, state of gaming in Pakistan is somewhat different to the state of cash in YOUR wallet xD

we don't have any official releases of these things here, we take what we can geteven in the ps2 era many ppl used to buy official games, and nowadays ppl who can AFFORD it get original games be it a 360 or a PS3

I mean what other reason you have to chose 360 over PS3?All you guys are talking about is piracy...and nothing else...
Mujh ko jawab day dhakur!

Chandoo
30-07-09, 03:44 PM
^but phir bhi yar...you have that fear always dancing on your head...no?No. No you don't. My 360 is nearly 8 months old now, i've been gaming relentlessly on it, hell i'd say in these 8 months my library and game time on the 360 is way higher than my respective ps2 time when it was 8 months old.

state of gaming in Pakistan is somewhat different to the state of cash in YOUR wallet xDare you saying that buying 5000 rs games is a common practice ? really ?

even in the ps2 era many ppl used to buy official games, and nowadays ppl who can AFFORD it get original games be it a 360 or a PS3
care to name one active PAKISTANI person on PG who'd rather choose original 360 games over pirated one's ? :S with proof.

Mujh ko jawab day dhakur!dude, that would take the topic to a whole new discussion level :lol: but here are a few quick one's, and remember, most of these are someone's personal preference based only, don't take these as canon.

- Better library of exclusives.
- Much bigger library of games
- Better versions of multiplat games
- Piracy (lol)
- Ease of availability and repairs if need be it.
- Cheaper base price point from the get to (completely excluding piracy, a base Arcade 360 is 200$ less than a PS3).

etc etc.

USUF
30-07-09, 03:50 PM
@ r3aper, almost 2 months have passed since i (myself) fixed the Xbox 360 and have been playing on Xbox LIVE since....Averaging over 6 hours a day...usually those six hours are spent in one sitting....

Necrokiller
30-07-09, 03:57 PM
5 thousand rupees per every new game. :P
Enough PS3 gamers on PG. :P

MGS4 = 1 disc = 32 GB = 5000 rs.
Lost Odyssey = 4 discs = 28 GB = 350~400 rs depending on who you get it from.
where exactly does the advantage lie here ? :SThe fact that you can't get MGS4 on X360 :lol:

pretty much, that statement sums up most of the PS3's features nicely.
don't bring the foreign perspective here, since that's not what we're talking about to begin with.
Foregin perspective? Really? I didn't know people there are SO backwards that they don't even use routers. Hell, I didn't know there is ONE PC per household now. Wasn't that like 10 years ago or something? And alot of people showing off their HDTVs here... and they can't watch blu-ray movies on it? You need to be in Canada to do all that? tum kabhi pakistan ko taraqqi nahi karne doh ge :lol:

And dude...im not arguing. I stated the reasons why PS3 is expensive... and you just backfired for no reason.

GoldenHawk
30-07-09, 03:58 PM
My 360 rrod when i was on the very end of ME i was plain 4 2hrs straight the 360 dsnt exactly fail my adapter overheated followed by the menacing RLOD
so you playin a 360 4 6hrs straight is a very big NO.

r3aper
30-07-09, 04:01 PM
No. No you don't. My 360 is nearly 8 months old now, i've been gaming relentlessly on it, hell i'd say in these 8 months my library and game time on the 360 is way higher than my respective ps2 time when it was 8 months old.
Hmm thats sound great!
I myself will buy a 360 waiting for my studies to get over actually after BBA will get a new PC and then will get the 360 most prolly
So its not like i hate the 360 i am stating the facts......

are you saying that buying 5000 rs games is a common practice ? really ?
I wrote the word AFFORD in caps for a reason <_<

care to name one active PAKISTANI person on PG who'd rather choose original 360 games over pirated one's ? :S with proof.
I remember few threads in the marketplace....khair forget it

Bottom-line is(for me atleast) That a 360 is a wiser investment for an average paki gamer

Once you get a job that pays you well dont tell me you are not gonna buy a PS3?There are few games that just can't be missed!

amaga
30-07-09, 04:02 PM
1st of all,NOW we cant say that"ps3 is faliled in pak"

n 2ndly i agree with these point of 360's success

piracy
cheap consoles(19k)
n 360 arrived 1 year b4 ps3 too.thast y MS got good mart in pakistan too.

but thats true,ps3 lambi doorh ka ghora ha.as we all can see that NOW ps3 have aloot exclusives n v strong line up.n in next year we can see sum more excelent title.so y now we cant say that is fail in pak.^_^

Shyber
30-07-09, 04:09 PM
- Better library of exclusives.
- Much bigger library of games
- Better versions of multiplat games
- Piracy (lol)
- Ease of availability and repairs if need be it.
- Cheaper base price point from the get to (completely excluding piracy, a base Arcade 360 is 200$ less than a PS3).

- Better library of exclusives; Very subjective. I'd pick MGS4, Uncharted series, GOW, anything by Isomniac, Jaffe's projects, Ueda, Killzone2, Infamous etc together over anything else. You may add in Versus to this list till the time comes :P

- Much bigger library of games: Quality over quantity, anywhere and everywhere.

- Better versions of multiplat games : And to think you argue with PC gamers over resolutions and better filters :P Might've been an issue in the past but recently, for major releases, the differences are neglible.

- Piracy (lol) : Gold. (y)

- Ease of availability and repairs if need be it: Erh what? The only ease might be the cost, otherwise on a hardware level the PS3 is a better quality machine.

- Cheaper base price point from the get to (completely excluding piracy, a base Arcade 360 is 200$ less than a PS3): Not just cheaper, but cheapest. IMO, that's what make everything about 360 so awesome. It's cheap with everything it gives!

We can argue on this forever. I mean, 360 isn't a complete solution for all my troubles. Though it's perfect for me to get to play the most games, on release, for almost free. The initial investment on the console was less than even my Speaker setup :P

But, I just can't live without a PS3. Over the years, I've developed a taste and liking for Sony first party titles. I still find its exclusives better, but that's my taste. What I need is a console that does everything a PS3 does, with a 360 like pad, DS3 like battery life and charging, piracy and proper ports and a price tag of 300$. Oh and cross game invites and voice chats on the PSN. Perfection achieved. For now, I'll have to keep BOTH, a PS3 and 360 to satisfy all my requirements.

PS: Right now you can buy any PS3 game seal pack for 4500Rs, used for anywhere between 1500 and 3500 and you can always sell you game back. So you can enjoy the PS3 games and not really have to be a wadera or something to "afford" it. Obviously piracy is best but the costs are rather manageable for any middle classer who's earning enough.

Chandoo
30-07-09, 04:22 PM
The fact that you can't get MGS4 on X360 http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/lol.gif

you can also not get lost odyssey on the PS3, tit for tat ? :P

And dude...im not arguing. I stated the reasons why PS3 is expensive... and you just backfired for no reason.

there is no backfiring, just the list of your features for why a ps3 is "worthy" is pretty much non-existent for a pakistani. Which is what this topic is all about :P

Once you get a job that pays you well dont tell me you are not gonna buy a PS3?There are few games that just can't be missed!

dude once i get a job that pays, i'll be opening a saving's account, not spending 5000 rs each month for a PS3 game :p

and trust me, when shyber gets married in the coming months (:D) he'll stop gaming on the PS3 as well. Parewaar ki sewa sab se pehle.

- Much bigger library of games: Quality over quantity, anywhere and everywhere.

actually i'd use the ps2 vs xbox argument here, more quantity = more chance of quality items in there.

but recently, for major releases, the differences are neglible.

noooooooooot quite, look up ghost busters, also, the Vesperia PS3 demo that's out in the JPN PSN is actually a whole lotta pixels less than the 360 version, and ultra blurry (Quinix filtering) to boot.

The differences are still there.

DS3 like battery life

dude, you srsly need to buy a 500 rs chinese charger thing, the 360 pad eats up batteries like a fat girl eats cake. The battery pack is the way to go.

r3aper
30-07-09, 04:37 PM
dude once i get a job that pays, i'll be opening a saving's account, not spending 5000 rs each month for a PS3 game :p

ahh......nevermind!

I for one will not do the same.... <_<

SolitarySoldier
30-07-09, 05:33 PM
I totally agree with Shyber here. Some ppl just can't live without PS3 exclusives, same case with me. And getting PS3 games isn't such a big issue, it IS but not much as you can get PS3 games in Rs.1000 as well. :P Then there are some great exclusives of 2007 which cost only Rs.1500. Likewise, 2008 games cost around Rs.2500 and i think getting used games on PS3 is the best deal. :)

And yeah, just cut that Rs.5000 PS3 game philosophy. :P I never bought a Rs.5000 game on PS3, never. :8

just look at me and my purchase cycle.

Now that's your cycle and doesn't applies on anyone. Look at mine. :P I got PS3 after my golden PS2 time. :D

Chandoo
30-07-09, 05:35 PM
another benefit of the ps3 folks, wait 1 year for 1 thousand price reduction, wait 2 years for 2 thousand :P

khasho
30-07-09, 06:56 PM
well in word it can be understood why Xbox 360 succeeded : PIRACY

I like PS3 why because I am a big fan of japanese style of games and I love them specially.....Yakuza series....Metal Gear Solid 4...Loved Rogue galaxy and I think White Knight Chronicles series would be more awesome...Final Fantasy versus XIII not a fan of turn based rpgs....Demon Soul.....Afrika....also love Heavy Rain( One of the best adventure games I have seen )...Uncharted series......If all of these games are on Xbox360 than I would definitely buy it but that seems impossible.....not a fan of GOW series because i don't get mindless violence..but that is my opinion..

I only liked two Multiplatform games DMC 4 and RE5...both of them sucked big time...and i know RE5 better on 360 but RE5 is the worst resident evil I have ever played even though I played it 1000 times...I know RE6 will also suck...But that is only my opinion...

Shyber
30-07-09, 06:58 PM
you can also not get lost odyssey on the PS3, tit for tat ? :P

My dear God...tell me you just didn't call Lost Odyssey an MGS4 equivalent. :|
Lost Odyssey is mediocre at best bhai. Surely you know that. I hope it was a "lulz" thing, but it was too much for me to not comment on :P

and trust me, when shyber gets married in the coming months (:D) he'll stop gaming on the PS3 as well. Parewaar ki sewa sab se pehle.

Well, we'll see about that. I know how to manage my time ;)

noooooooooot quite, look up ghost busters, also, the Vesperia PS3 demo that's out in the JPN PSN is actually a whole lotta pixels less than the 360 version, and ultra blurry (Quinix filtering) to boot.

Abey just watch them side by side yourself, not on some recording, and you'll see. Minute differences man, if you're such a perfectionist then I'll seriously recommend a PC to you :P

dude, you srsly need to buy a 500 rs chinese charger thing, the 360 pad eats up batteries like a fat girl eats cake. The battery pack is the way to go.

Nah, not a prob. I got some Sony Nickel Cads for it and they give 14 hours easily. Mind you, 14 hours means a week for me and having two sets with one on the cradle while other in the pad takes care of that.

Chandoo
30-07-09, 07:16 PM
Abey just watch them side by side yourself, not on some recording, and you'll see. i did, actually, saw Vesperia shots straight out of the frame-buffer, and i can confirm that it was blurry as fuck, the 360 version has blur as well, but the ps3 demo was waaaaaaaay too much.

I'll seriously recommend a PC to you
I'm pretty sure neither vesperia, lost odyssey, or mgs 4 are available on the PC ;P
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gif

My dear God...tell me you just didn't call Lost Odyssey an MGS4 equivalent. http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/wassat.gif
Lost Odyssey is mediocre at best bhai. Surely you know that. I hope it was a "lulz" thing, but it was too much for me to not comment on http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gifit's the subjective library thing i mentioned in the original post ;)

eg if you're usuf, and you have a PS3, you'll probably be cutting your wrist when you realize you can't haz recon on the PS3. :p

Shyber
30-07-09, 07:32 PM
http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gif
it's the subjective library thing i mentioned in the original post ;)

What?! You're serious? o_O
And I was beginning to believe that you were neutral. If Lost Odyssey can be an MGS4 equivalent by being exclusive on the 360 then you're a brain-taste-bud dead fanboy :P

Chandoo
30-07-09, 07:39 PM
read this part again.

eg if you're usuf, and you have a PS3, you'll probably be cutting your wrist when you realize you can't haz recon on the PS3. :p

Just because you regard something as such, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well, i'm sure there are those RPG nuts out there who'd rather have LO than MGS4. Hell i've read a lot of people complain about MGS4 being an over rated POS as well ;) not that i wouldn't want to play it if i had the opportunity to.

but then again, with you and MGS4, i'm sure saying anything like gears, GTA episodes, alan wake, splinter cell, halo (el o el) etc isn't going to be enough either.

Nomad
30-07-09, 08:15 PM
There is ONLY ONE reason why 360 is selling better than PS3 in Pakistan, PIRACY. Nothing else.
All those bigger library, more exclusives, trend, online, culture, better multiplatform or ANY other reason given does not matter AT ALL. Just answer a simple question

"If PS3 had piracy while 360 didn't, would you have bought a 360 instead of PS3?"

I don't think even Usuf would have bought a 360 in that case ;). He wouldn't have had much trouble saying goodbye to Halo :lol:

Considering how much piracy matters to us, it is really surprising how good PS3 is doing in Pakistan. Let's face it, NO console other than PS3 could have existed in Pakistan without piracy.
Calling it a failure is not justified in my opinion when even without piracy it is doing better than the best selling console in the world which does support piracy (for any brain dead person, I'm talking about Wii here).

As far as why 360 isn't as successful in Pakistan as PS2 is concerned, there are two reasons for that. One factor is brand recognition. And the other factor, which is even more important, is RROD.
People in Pakistan are just not as accustomed to 360 as they are to Playstations. After Playstation 1 and 2, Playstation has become another name for a game console (just like Saga used to be). Older people might get confused if you say console, but they would easily understand if you say Playstation. I know of instances when people had to be told that 360 is the Playstation from Microsoft :wink2:

When 360 was launched it started capturing the Pakistani market at a rapid pace, especially when PS3 wasn't pirated. But RROD gave it a really bad name. Almost every early 360 owner had to face RROD. No console before 360 had such a low durability rate. People want cheaper games, but they don't want to buy a new console every six months either. So in the period when 360 was supposed to gain popularity, it actually started gathering bad reputation as well.

Before launch of FALCON I visited many shops asking for 360 prices. Many of those shopkeepers told me that they have stopped selling 360s because it can fail within a month or even a week. Even the shopkeepers who had some in stock clearly said that they won't be responsible if it breaks.

I believe if 360 had launched with something as reliable as a Jasper it would have been a real success in Pakistan and it would have become a house hold name by now, just like a Playstation.

Shyber
30-07-09, 08:55 PM
read this part again.

Just because you regard something as such, doesn't mean everyone else has to as well, i'm sure there are those RPG nuts out there who'd rather have LO than MGS4. Hell i've read a lot of people complain about MGS4 being an over rated POS as well ;) not that i wouldn't want to play it if i had the opportunity to.

but then again, with you and MGS4, i'm sure saying anything like gears, GTA episodes, alan wake, splinter cell, halo (el o el) etc isn't going to be enough either.

You're missing my whole point. Just talk about yourself. You prefer Lost Odyssey over MGS4?

And about Nomad's point, well, I think PS3 is the only machine ever in Pakistan that has made shopkeepers sell legit games at the scale they're selling it. Shops in Saddar, never before I had seen them set up so many "Genuine" games on their shelves before.

Kane
30-07-09, 09:10 PM
Yaar ek hi waja hai cheap gaming and thats all no need for qaseedas!

CerebralTiger
30-07-09, 09:13 PM
the 360 pad eats up batteries like a fat girl eats cake.

Fat Princess would like to have a word with you....:P

USUF
30-07-09, 09:15 PM
I don't think even Usuf would have bought a 360 in that case http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/wink.gif. He wouldn't have had much trouble saying goodbye to Halo Rofl, how am i dragged into such a mess by people is beyond me ;)

I am just going to answer nomad bhai's post here....

I was actually all set to buy a PS2 back in 2005...But then my cousin from Canada came, bought his Xbox with him an showed me halo 2....

and i was sold....

Halo 1 was ok....But Halo 2 was ridiculous. I still think Halo 2 had a bigger impact upon me than Halo 3. Hardcore Halo fans will attest to that...

Even if i had a PS2 back then i would have still bought the Xbox for that game only...And thats just what i did. Even though i knew a little bit about the Xbox not having many/better games...It all comes down to preferrence...

Like Chandoo with his RE5, Nomad Bhia with his Crysis and Uncharted, and Fawad bhai with his MGS4....

I got some Sony Nickel Cads for it and they give 14 hours easily. I got Energizer rechargeable batteries for 250, they last a little over 20 hours w/ vibration ON. And note that i only play shooters all that time... Hence alot more battery power is consumed....

ace23
30-07-09, 09:17 PM
For me Xbox 360 really stinks. I bought it a year ago and after 4 to 6 months it started showing errors (E73,E74........).Got it fixed for 7000 then after 2 months got rrod .Xbox 360 really sucks DONOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT!!!!!Now im gonna throw it in the garbage:rip: and buy PS3.PS3 rulzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Kane
30-07-09, 09:18 PM
Ek baar ps3 par piracy start hone do and mark my words on this that xbox will thrown out of every house like hell!

Ranger Taffles
30-07-09, 09:19 PM
The reason i bought PS3 over 360 because of its free online............and many Pakistanis are not aware of that.....once ppl will get to know more of PS3 and when it will be affordable.........360 might get forgotten...........CONCLUSION: PS2 FTW!!!!!!!!!

Kane
30-07-09, 09:20 PM
after that i will see to it that how many people are gonna buy some cheap silicone with endless problems.once piracy started on ps3 and within two months xbox 360 will be taking its last breath on paki market!Mark my words on that one!

radd
30-07-09, 09:27 PM
let me put this in a nursery rhyme.

3 little consoles wanted to go to pakistan 3 little consoles

1 was a wuss and waggled out and 2 little console go onwards to pakistan 2 little consoles

1 spent too much money on hairgel and couldnt buy the plane ticket and only 1 little console reached pakistan

and that one little console couldnt take the pressures and rrod out

Chandoo
30-07-09, 09:58 PM
I think PS3 is the only machine ever in Pakistan that has made shopkeepers sell legit games at the scale they're selling it. Shops in Saddar, never before I had seen them set up so many "Genuine" games on their shelves before.but it's not a matter of choice, is it ? :p

even before the PS3 you could still buy SOME original things in saddar, the PS3 has just sort of main-streamed it a little. But that's just a show of how powerful the playstation brand is.

You're missing my whole point. Just talk about yourself. You prefer Lost Odyssey over MGS4?dude, i understand that everyone thinks everything is about me, i know i'm that awesome, but let's think about the other people who don't like those kind of game s :p

@usuf

nomad BHAI, fawad BHAI and just chandoo ...

>_>

GoldenHawk
30-07-09, 10:01 PM
let me put this in a nursery rhyme.

3 little consoles wanted to go to pakistan 3 little consoles

1 was a WUSS and waggled out and 2 little console go onwards to pakistan 2 little consoles

1 spent too much money on hairgel and couldnt buy the plane ticket and only 1 little console reached pakistan

and that one little console couldnt take the pressures and RROD OUT

ok arguement done even radd just said the the 360 rrod out the wii was a wuss so that keeps the ps3 in first

Shyber
30-07-09, 10:04 PM
dude, i understand that everyone thinks everything is about me, i know i'm that awesome, but let's think about the other people who don't like those kind of game s :p

I know you and the level of fanboyism in you but YOU equating LO with MGS4 is really a new low. Shocker.

BTW, your quote was for necro, right? That guys has never laid his hands on a jrpg and strictly hates that genre. Talk about fail quoting :lol: AND subjective from a minority.

Chandoo
30-07-09, 10:39 PM
Talk about fail quoting http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/lol.gif AND subjective from a minority.

But subjective none the less, surely you can't deny that there MIGHT BE people that completely hate MGS4's guts :p

I know you and the level of fanboyism in you but YOU equating LO with MGS4 is really a new low. Shocker.oh god shyber let that go already lol, i wasn't comparing those games !!! like i've already said before even if i use more popular names as example, none of them are going to be impactful to you at all compared to MGS :P

I wasn't comparing "THE GAMES", I was comparing "Hey, one game as an exclusive for another, tit for tat". Besides, the next one is going multiplatform anyway, eh ? why bother looking at the old when you've got the new to look forward to.

http://i26.tinypic.com/258qqkw.jpg

Let it go Shyber, the hate, the anger, the suffering.

:p

Shyber
30-07-09, 10:44 PM
You still don't get my point. How COULD YOU!?
You, of all people, comparing MGS4 to crap.

Sure, people hate MGS4, no biggie for me. But someone like you had to resort to using its name with....eugh.....LO is PREPOSTEROUS.

Nomad
30-07-09, 10:46 PM
Let it go Shyber, the hate, the anger, the suffering.
You know what happened to guy in the game who said this? :P

CerebralTiger
30-07-09, 10:47 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/258qqkw.jpg

Besides, the next one is going multiplatform anyway, eh ?

LOL....funny how neither of these two are going to star in that multiplatform game, eh?....:P

Shyber
30-07-09, 10:49 PM
This is good, isn't it?

r3aper
30-07-09, 10:53 PM
Shit has just hit the FAN, fawad bhai is pissed chandoo is a goner! :p

And on the other hand i have got my script for the next comic!

Chandoo
30-07-09, 10:56 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/332qnts.jpg

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:UvFHasl4CzXW1M:http://kiddo.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/exclamation-point-for-kiddo-t.jpg

http://www.shin-otaku.com/blogimage2009/20090602-metal-gear-solid-rising.jpg

Shyber
30-07-09, 11:00 PM
Shit has just hit the FAN, fawad bhai is pissed chandoo is a goner! :p

And on the other hand i have got my script for the next comic!

Nah, am not pissed. Just shocked at the degree of betrayal.

Chandoo
30-07-09, 11:03 PM
oh gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd, i know i'm never going to hear the end of this at all future meetup's lol.

dude i don't think MGS4 is a bad game :p it's a great game in-fact, but lost odyssey isn't that bad either.

this is even worse than the time i dissed killzone :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/chandoog/gaf/25piuck.gif

Shyber
30-07-09, 11:10 PM
dude i don't think MGS4 is a bad game :p it's a great game in-fact, but lost odyssey isn't that bad either.

NO. Wrong Answer.

Kane
30-07-09, 11:11 PM
ah some people never accept the truth!

Chandoo
30-07-09, 11:11 PM
MGS4 is my holy grail and i pray before it each night before sleeping !

spare me dude :P

http://www.bestdamnpodcastever.com/blog/playstationsmash.jpg

Shyber
30-07-09, 11:16 PM
Pray before it running on youtube I presume :P

Kane
30-07-09, 11:17 PM
in short Mgs 4 is not good enough!(only because konami has bleeded 360 fanboys dry for years).Except this mgs 4 is bearable game!

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 01:31 AM
Me never played Lost odessey but as a reader i think it's a good game but when compared to MGS4, it SUCKS!!! <_< IMO, games which can be compared with MGS4 are only available on PS3 (considering PS3 and 360 only) and i would love to name 2 games, LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. :)

Chanderson here just coming up with lame fanboyism excuses although Shyber bro and Nomad bro cleared it up but Chanderson finding it hard to understand. :P

Chandoo
31-07-09, 01:50 AM
Me never played Lost odessey but as a reader i think it's a good game but when compared to MGS4, it SUCKS!!!

huh ?

and I'm the one coming up with the lame fanboyism excuses ? :P

Kane
31-07-09, 01:56 AM
some body tell me how anyone can compare Oblivion to crysis!:confused:
@issue creator:baby:

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 02:08 AM
huh ?

and I'm the one coming up with the lame fanboyism excuses ? :P

Yeah me a MGS4 fan but when if you want MGS4 vs. Lost Odessey, I'm sure i can get more people on my side. :P You shall see some metacritic. :P

Common yaar, Lost Odessey isn't the one who can beat MGS4, surely not. We can talk about Gears 2 etc. :P but in this case, MGS4 owns easily!.

Chandoo
31-07-09, 02:09 AM
1. i never "compared" the two games
2. you still haven't played it, for all you know when you do you'll forget all about MGS4.
3. please stop because i'm pretty sure shyber is stalking closeby with a knife in his hand aiming for my throat.

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 02:17 AM
1. i never "compared" the two games
2. you still haven't played it, for all you know when you do you'll forget all about MGS4.
3. please stop because i'm pretty sure shyber is stalking closeby with a knife in his hand aiming for my throat.

1. Fine.
2. And you haven't played MGS4 yet and i don't need to tell ya what's MGS4 :P
3. Then i should do some more cuz i would love Chanderson vs. Shyber. :D

Chandoo
31-07-09, 02:19 AM
2. And you haven't played MGS4 yet and i don't need to tell ya what's MGS4 http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gif

i played it on youtube, wait you mean CONTROLLING it ? you can DO that ? :o

Kane
31-07-09, 02:26 AM
Yaar mgs4 is a great game but comparing it with an rpg is senseless.

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 02:28 AM

This is the time Shyber, DO IT!!! :P

You should do it for every game, no? Why bothered to watch the ending of crisis core? It's even longer than any MGS4 cut-scene almost :P. Why not playing RE5 on youtube? <_<

Chandoo
31-07-09, 02:35 AM
dude RE5 has just an hour of cutscenes at most lol, if anything that game could have used a lot more of them.

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 02:49 AM
Whateva, i don't have any problems with longer and more cut-scenes in any game. MGS4 is recieved by me same as other games with short cut-scenes. It's not an issue and i won't be an issue for you as well if it landed on 360 but "unattainable dreams are of the best kind." :P

I hope MGS: Rising would contain longer cut-scenes compared to MGS4 and i will advice you to play it on you tube as well. :lol:

Chandoo
31-07-09, 03:24 AM
why are we even talking about an ancient game, the future of the series is what awaits us, and it's looking like a good future :D

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 03:38 AM
Of course me too desperately waiting for Rising. But i doubt that upcoming future(Rising) may not be better than the golden past(MGS4)

Snake>Raiden, anyday. But Rising can be better. After all, everything depends on story, presentation, cinematics and gameplay like it is in MGS4. Kojima can do it again but it's not necessary that he should beat his every previous game. :P

Kojima rocks! :D

Kane
31-07-09, 09:08 AM
Of course me too desperately waiting for Rising. But i doubt that upcoming future(Rising) may not be better than the golden past(MGS4)

Snake>Raiden, anyday. But Rising can be better. After all, everything depends on story, presentation, cinematics and gameplay like it is in MGS4. Kojima can do it again but it's not necessary that he should beat his every previous game. :P

Kojima rocks! :D
totaly agreed Mgs4 is master piece nothing can beat it!
Mgs4 is something what we say a legend!

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

@issue creator Rising is not released yet but i can still say i wont even get close to mgs 4 in sales and in quality.Mark my words on this one.

Bad Mofo
31-07-09, 09:38 AM
godamn, i missed out another dangal!

anyway, there were some interesting points raised in the first 3 pages of this thread;

- i think the country as a whole was going through better economic times back when the ps2 was at it's height. or am i wrong?

which just means more people could buy consoles for their kids. which meant that there were ps2 game cd's being sold at my local general store!

i mean, sure, the ps2 might have been for 12k and the 360 is for 20k minimum, but the dollar was at rs. 60 then and it's at rs. 82 now. plus you gotta factor in inflation.

plus, does everyone in pakistan have high-def televisions? it makes a huge difference in what a game looks like. sure, the x360 still looks better even on sd, but not as good as it can on hd. that also makes people think there isn't a huge difference between the two.

one thing is for sure though, the ps3 has failed in pakistan. there's a couple of reasons for that as well:

- piracy.
- the price of the console: sure it's got a lotta bells and whistles. but no one in pakistan wants to buy a blu-ray disc. and i don't see them being copied on a large scale anytime soon.

Radical
31-07-09, 09:56 AM
When 360 became freely available in Pakistan it already played pirated games & it had lots of games released by that time too plus it offered HD visuals veeerrrrrrryyyy cheaply as it was compatible with any crt monitor, PS3 had a bad lineup to start with, the games were of poor quality too compared to what 360 was offering, it was EXPENSIVE! & there is no piracy on it STILL!! & 360 STILL owns it in multiplat games!

Shyber
31-07-09, 11:09 AM

Consider this as an official warning. Trolling won't be tolerated on PG. Specially from ex super mod ex mod ex global mod now mod. You don't wanna be orange now, do you? :P

Man, beginning to hate your favorite game just because it ain't on the console you own. Wow. You disappoint me :crying:

USUF
31-07-09, 11:16 AM
Man, beginning to hate your favorite game just because it ain't on the console you own. Wow. You disappoint me The war has changed :P:P:P

@usuf

nomad BHAI, fawad BHAI and just chandoo ...

>_>
Rofl hahahahahaha, you made it sound even funnier :P Miti paleet ho gaie yaar...

awesome!

Shyber
31-07-09, 11:27 AM
The war has changed :P:P:P

More like the lota has turned :P

amaga
31-07-09, 11:28 AM
why are we even talking about an ancient game, the future of the series is what awaits us, and it's looking like a good future :D

:hah:

v nice chandoo:blah2:

Radical
31-07-09, 11:59 AM
WAR has changed! indeed as it has come to a truce with MG: Rising so i suggest you fanboys also drop this B.S, just enjoy games on what ever gaming machine you have & respect other peoples choice of gaming too.

Chandoo
31-07-09, 12:43 PM
Man, beginning to hate your favorite game just because it ain't on the console you own. Wow. You disappoint me :crying:

show me a post where i said i hate MGS4 please, fun and lulz are all good but accusations without anything to back them up is just plain wrong big bad admin dude.

Shyber
31-07-09, 01:08 PM
show me a post where i said i hate MGS4 please, fun and lulz are all good but accusations without anything to back them up is just plain wrong big bad admin dude.

I said beginning to hate, not hate. :P
And I'm accusing you because of your new found criticisms of the game, and its general mockery. Something you used to defend so much and now going against it.

Chandoo
31-07-09, 01:30 PM
And I'm accusing you because of your new found criticisms of the game, and its general mockery. Something you used to defend so much and now going against it.but MGS4 has long cutscenes, we've been saying that for well over a year now lol, i didn't JUST start saying it either :p maybe you're thinking that because i'm in the opposite camp now ;)

and is taking the name metal gear and lost odyssey in the same sentence really that much of a criticism ? c'maan.

Shyber
31-07-09, 02:03 PM
but MGS4 has long cutscenes, we've been saying that for well over a year now lol, i didn't JUST start saying it either :p maybe you're thinking that because i'm in the opposite camp now ;)

Nah, it was your tone becoming negative. I'm sure am not the only one to notice :)

and is taking the name metal gear and lost odyssey in the same sentence really that much of a criticism ? c'maan.

It was a pretty weak comparison, but this has been dragged long enough.

USUF
31-07-09, 02:08 PM
Big bad admin dude can't haz no r3c0n :P

360 is cheap
PS3 is expensive
Piracy Rules!
MGS4 =/= LO

On to the trash-bin now :D:D

J/k

Chandoo
31-07-09, 02:44 PM
Nah, it was your tone becoming negative. I'm sure am not the only one to notice http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/smile.gif

doublefacepalm.gif

and today we learned that even the cool, calm and collected shyber can over react at times.

PG just went from " diss halo, get banned" to "diss MGS4 get banned" :P

USUF
31-07-09, 02:51 PM
" diss halo, get banned"
lol, when the hell did i ban anyone for dissing Halo? :P

Chandoo
31-07-09, 03:04 PM
it's happened on multiple occassions in the past, probably before you became a mod, but yeah it's definitely happened.

Shyber
31-07-09, 03:59 PM
PG just went from " diss halo, get banned" to "diss MGS4 get banned" :P

lol. Awh cmaan, you know I don't ban anyone so easily ;)
Besides, you're overlooking the whole point. Countless people on PG have had exhibited their dislike for MGS4 and that's perfectly ok. But you my dear recently had a change of view. Hence my reaction.

Kane
31-07-09, 04:22 PM
mates i have already given u the reason why is chandoo continously mocking the mgs and that reason is that konami is bleeding xbox 360 fanboys dry from years.Chandoo got xbox and so did the influenza and the itch which is in the every 360 console fanboy!
@chandoo:baby:

(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20leoHighlightsIFrameClose%28%29;)

(javascript: leoHighlightsIFrameClose();)

Chandoo
31-07-09, 04:37 PM
ah yes, konami is bleeding the xbox fans dry by bringing the next metal gear to the 360 too.

@kane :baby::baby::baby:
@moron replies :baby::baby::baby:

Kane
31-07-09, 04:46 PM
ah yes, konami is bleeding the xbox fans dry by bringing the next metal gear to the 360 too.

Have u read my earlier posts read them if u havent!there is a lot of explaination about ur next genration mgs!:wink2:
@chandoo:baby::baby::baby:
@pointless shit :baby::baby::baby:
@itch about mgs 4:Chilli::Chilli::Chilli:

(javascript: leoHighlightsIFrameClose();)

Chandoo
31-07-09, 04:50 PM
your explinations are just as stupid as the rest of your posts kane, if konami was bleeding 360 owners dry why would they bring the next game to the 360 ? you have not explained why konami would bring the next metal gear to the 360 if they want to bleed the 360 fans dry.

@kane:baby::baby::baby:
@stupid explinations:baby::baby::baby:

Kane
31-07-09, 06:10 PM
your explinations are just as stupid as the rest of your posts kane, if konami was bleeding 360 owners dry why would they bring the next game to the 360 ? you have not explained why konami would bring the next metal gear to the 360 if they want to bleed the 360 fans dry.

@kane:baby::baby::baby:
@stupid explinations:baby::baby:
Do u realy believe new mgs shit which is coming is gonna beat mgs 4 legacy or even sales!If u think so then u realy are a :baby:

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 06:15 PM
it's happened on multiple occassions in the past, probably before you became a mod, but yeah it's definitely happened.

Yeah, i can confirm it. :P

Nah, it was your tone becoming negative. I'm sure am not the only one to notice :)

Right. :P

Consider this as an official warning. Trolling won't be tolerated on PG. Specially from ex super mod ex mod ex global mod now mod. You don't wanna be orange now, do you? :P

:banana:
Hehe, we had all the lolz last night, nothing serious. But Chanderson behaving weird on MGS4. :P But surely he doesn't hates MGS4, he just don't like long cut-scenes. :P

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Do u realy believe new mgs shit which is coming is gonna beat mgs 4 legacy or even sales!If u think so then realy are:baby:

Surely. :8

Chandoo
31-07-09, 07:02 PM
even baadshah knows Rising will at least sell more copies than MGS4, that much is certain, konami loves money that's why the game is coming to the 360 too, more sales guaranteed :8

also, WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT METAL GEAR IN A PAKISTANI ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION !!

it's all your fault shyber.

Radical
31-07-09, 07:02 PM
MGS - its cutscenes = MGS - Kojima.

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 07:12 PM
even baadshah knows Rising will at least sell more copies than MGS4, that much is certain, konami loves money that's why the game is coming to the 360 too, more sales guaranteed :8

also, WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT METAL GEAR IN A PAKISTANI ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION !!

A game releasing on 3 platforms can have more sales compared to an exclusive game, that isn't rocket science. :P

It's your fault lol. Calling MGS4 a you tube show is surely not the best you can do. :P

Shyber
31-07-09, 07:18 PM

Nah, I just couldn't stand it being compared to something like LO. Specially by you!

Radical
31-07-09, 07:22 PM
& now we gonna talk about LO?? :lol:

SolitarySoldier
31-07-09, 07:32 PM
No please! :P There's a lot of other stuff to be compared with MGS4 but LO isn't the one out of them. :P

Nomad
31-07-09, 07:43 PM
Rising will at least sell more copies than MGS4, that much is certain, konami loves money that's why the game is coming to the 360 too, more sales guaranteed :8
Nothing is guaranteed. It might, but nothing is written in stone yet.

MGS4 sold more copies on PS3 than MGS3 did on PS2. And PS2 had a much larger userbase than PS3 and 360 users combined. It's a niche product which only fans can appreciate.

Chandoo
31-07-09, 08:34 PM
MGS3 didn't do so well because it launched in the same time frame as games like GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, Half Life 2 etc. Where as MGS4 had a completely empty time slot with no real competition to deal with.

It's a niche product which only fans can appreciate.4 million units sold on a system as fledgling for sales as the PS3 is not a niche item.

Shyber
31-07-09, 08:42 PM
MGS3 didn't do so well because it launched in the same time frame as games like GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, Half Life 2 etc. Where as MGS4 had a completely empty time slot with no real competition to deal with.
4 million units sold on a system as fledgling for sales as the PS3 is not a niche item.

Just one month after GTA4, no?

Radical
31-07-09, 10:56 PM
Oh yeah the 'two behemoths' almost released side by side :D

Chandoo
31-07-09, 11:56 PM
one month is still one month of clear sales.

for comparison's sake halo 2, hl2 and MGS3 were all released in November 2004, and San Andreas was released in the last week of October 2004, essentially November 2004.

and GTA 4 was April, MGS4 was June, that's two months actually.

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 12:57 AM
and GTA 4 was April, MGS4 was June, that's two months actually.

1.5 months at the most and GTA games keep selling great for continuous months.

GTA IV WAS a sales threat to MGS4 and everyone knows MGS4>GTA IV :8

Chandoo
01-08-09, 01:02 AM
GTA IV WAS a sales threat to MGS4 and everyone knows MGS4>GTA IV http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/cool.gif

but then again, GTA IV did manage to sell a lot more than MGS4, and is reviewed higher as well :8

Kane
01-08-09, 01:05 AM
but then again, GTA IV did manage to sell a lot more than MGS4, and is reviewed higher as well :8
Mgs 4 is a ps3 exclusive but gta 4 is on 3 major platform u cant even understand u noob:baby:!

Chandoo
01-08-09, 01:09 AM
that's exactly the point isn't it kane.

MGS Rising is coming on three platforms, and it will sell more than MGS4 just because of that.

you just pwnt your own ass kane, hahahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

kane = :baby:http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/baby.gifhttp://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/baby.gifhttp://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/baby.gif

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 02:24 AM
LOL, you both guys are awesome. Thanks for fun. :P

@Chanderson, MGS4 sold more than GTA IV on PS3 says Wiki and as for metascores, GTA IV is leading cuz of it's hype <_<. Ask those who had played both games (like me), MGS4> GTA IV. Note: That doesn't means GTA IV is bad. It's one of my fav's :8

Chandoo
01-08-09, 02:31 AM
@baadshah, but here within lies the beauty of the concept of the game going multiplatform doesn't it ? more platforms means more sales, it's better for the future of the metal gear franchise as well :8

why don't you guys think of the franchise as a whole and stop the single game fanboyism, don't you want the metal gear series to continue ? :8

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 02:44 AM
@baadshah, but here within lies the beauty of the concept of the game going multiplatform doesn't it ? more platforms means more sales, it's better for the future of the metal gear franchise as well :8

why don't you guys think of the franchise as a whole and stop the single game fanboyism, don't you want the metal gear series to continue ? :8

Why would i have any problems with MGS going multi, i would like it every year. :8 But we were talking only MGS4 and GTA IV. :P Ok let's do Rising now.

Brotha! I don't even mind MGS going on Wii or even DS. I just want MGS and everyone knows Rising is gonna be a great game and this time it may achieve more sales, very much possible. So what's bad? I don't have any issue. Let's do a MGS4 port on 360, i won't mind. :P I was just saying that MGS4 is better than GTA IV and that's me, other's have thier own choices.

BTW, Raiden was my fav. character in MGS4 after Old Sakne. :8

Chandoo
01-08-09, 02:46 AM
Let's not forget about MGS Peace walker for the PSP, Hideo Kojima's personal project and being made by the MGS4 team itself.

That game is going to be a full MGS game as well, the proper sequel to MGS3 and the prequel to the original Metal Gear, starring Big Boss (who's a lot cooler than old snake)

only the awesome guys who own PSP's will get to play that one. We're so awesome aren't we ? :8

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 02:53 AM
Let's not forget about MGS Peace walker for the PSP, Hideo Kojima's personal project and being made by the MGS4 team itself.

That game is going to be a full MGS game as well, the proper sequel to MGS3 and the prequel to the original Metal Gear, starring Big Boss (who's a lot cooler than old snake)

only the awesome guys who own PSP's will get to play that one. We're so awesome aren't we ? :8

Oh yeah, teh Peace Walker :D I really want to see MGS4 team on PSP. Though Peace Walker is a PSP game but I'm equally interested in it as i am in Rising. I'm so lucky i can play 2 more MGS's after the awesome MGS4 :D

PSP owner's are so gifted lately and I'm so happy to get one. Peace Walker for PSP's only. :8

Shyber
01-08-09, 07:14 AM
one month is still one month of clear sales.

for comparison's sake halo 2, hl2 and MGS3 were all released in November 2004, and San Andreas was released in the last week of October 2004, essentially November 2004.

Only San Andreas was on the PS2 amongst these. Situation is quite comparable and GTA4 was a much bigger title than SA at that time. Also, you're ignoring the PS3's weak userbase a little too easily.

But useless thing to talk about. I'm sure they got professionals for this analysis and estimates and the reason Rising is going multiplat is because they're targeting sales. Thinking that Rising wouldn't outsell MGS4 would be wrong.

Am sure whoever got MGS4 will definitely get Rising on the PS3 and then the huge userbase of 360 will kick in and make sure they make lotsa $ on it. I just hope the game lives up to the MGS name it's carrying. Topping MGS4 can get pretty difficult for Rising but that's hard to comment on since we know nothing about it yet. MGS4 had 10 years of making behind it and Snake as the main character. Am not saying Raiden ain't cool but an MGS without Snake/BB is like a PG without Chandoo.

Radical
01-08-09, 07:26 AM
Dudes don't forget how Kojima reacted when that m/s guy said 'Solid Snake' , Rising is another Metal Gear sure but it ain't Metal Gear Solid & i don't think there will be another Metal Gear Solid :crying:

Shyber
01-08-09, 07:35 AM
I'm sure Kojima wouldn't let a game with "MGS" in its name get wasted. But then again, we've also seen Portable Ops :|

Radical
01-08-09, 07:40 AM
Yes he is very cautious now...

USUF
01-08-09, 11:26 AM
Topic: Why 360 won and PS33 failed in Pak

Disscussion: "MGS > LO" , then "MGS > GTA" , "MGS4 didin't get a chance to sell alot because of GTA 4"

Yes, i am on pakgamers.com alright ;)

Radical
01-08-09, 11:35 AM
Topic: Why 360 won and PS33 failed in Pak

Disscussion: "MGS > LO" , then "MGS > GTA" , "MGS4 didin't get a chance to sell alot because of GTA 4"

Confirmation that the thread has been infected with 'the chandersonz virus' ;), btw this particular roundtable article has been discussed enough for now, though the discussion is still incomplete cause the race is still on! :p

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 12:01 PM
USUF whatever the topic title states is not the final verdict or the definitive truth. Members gave their perspective in the article and now its open to discussion, which is the point to post it in the first place. But yeah, the thread derailed coz some people were not open to other sides of the story, or perhaps they wanted to re-enforce their view in any case.

Personally, I don't see the need for such a topic anyway. Its a shrine for xbots really haha (lulz). Is the answer such a mystery really? Comparing an age old and long ago pirated, but still strong, DVD format to a new and most certainly the next step in optical media (Blu-Ray) is kind of silly, as the main reason for piracy on the X360, and its success, is the media format (other reason are subjective).

Blu-Ray torrents can be found everywhere... the only wait is for a mod-chip to arrive and be fully integrated within the PS3. That is only reason why the slow rate of success is perceived as failure in Pakistan. Which is quite wrong. Irrespective of the media (DVD vs Blu-ray), the price for a newly released game in North America is same on the X360 and the PS3 i.e. $69. I mention that because if you take that into account, the prices for games on both consoles in Pakistan would be same as well, if the X360 wasn't pirate friendly or PS3 was cracked whatever. Other reasons such as online play and exclusive games differs from person to person so lets not even go there. Why? Because if a guy doesn't like HALO (forgive me for saying that USUF lol), or Fable, Forza etc. then why would they buy X360? Just because statistics say its selling more? I don't think so. Maybe coz its cheap for multi-platform games.

And since foreign perspective is frowned upon on PG, why is the success of X360 (or any game for that matter) judged by sale numbers in foreign countries anyway? lol How ironic. Its cheap so obviously more people are buying it in Pakistan, im not denying that. But where is the statistical data everyone talks about for Pakistan? It would surely help because the actual numeric difference would decide if its just selling less, or is a total failure. Two completely different things.

With all that negativity towards the PS3, and the 'useless' features it holds for people in Pakistan, I'm shocked to see so many people own one here at PG alone.

Chandoo
01-08-09, 01:01 PM
With all that negativity towards the PS3, and the 'useless' features it holds for people in Pakistan, I'm shocked to see so many people own one here at PG alone.what's more shocking that even those PS3 owners freely talk about the useless-ness of said features, innit ? :P

the price for a newly released game in North America is same on the X360 and the PS3 i.e. $69. 59.99$ actually, maybe you're talking about Canada.

Because if a guy doesn't like HALO (forgive me for saying that USUF lol), or Fable, Forza etc. then why would they buy X360? Just because statistics say its selling more? I don't think so. Maybe coz its cheap for multi-platform games.that's basically it, isn't it. Eg, older PG members would know i've been saying since 2007 that i would most likely play Resident Evil 5 on launch, but i was not keen on purchasing a 360 either, but then i found a really good price point and, well, went for it.

but when you take in the foreign prespective in account as well, surely you're not going to say that the ps3 is a bigger success now, look at your own home land/continent, the 360 hardware/software sells tremendously more compared to the PS3, even though everything sells at the same price there.

doesn't that just mean that the "advantages" of blu ray and most of the PS3's beneficial features are considered useless world wide ? especially since there are 99$ stand alone blu ray players available in the market as well.

But where is the statistical data everyone talks about for Pakistan? It would surely help because the actual numeric difference would decide if its just selling less, or is a total failure

visit saddar, abdullah haroon road etc, all the data you need can be sampled there. of course we don't have our own versions of NPD here, but that's besides the point :

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 01:34 PM
doesn't that just mean that the "advantages" of blu ray and most of the PS3's beneficial features are considered useless world wide ? especially since there are 99$ stand alone blu ray players available in the market as well.

Worldwide? Umm NO WAY man. You have no idea the amount of people who just buy the PS3 coz its a 'better Blu-ray player with added functions of next-gen gaming'. Trust me, people like that DO exists here :mental . And that was a huge selling point for the PS2 as well, a DVD player built in. You can say its over-priced, people will always welcome a price drop, but now you say that even outside Pak the extra features are useless, is something very fanboyish (for the lack of a better word).

look at your own home land/continent, the 360 hardware/software sells tremendously more compared to the PS3, even though everything sells at the same price there.
Talking about Canada, the difference is not as huge as United States. Not at all. And take Japan now, the Xbox 360 has POOR sales compared to PS3, even though PS3 is still expensive there. Same price can be related between games, not the hardware itself. I mean, as of beginning of 2009, the Japan sales figure for Xbox 360 is low enough to label it as a failure there. But not so much in other countries.

Sire Ahsan
01-08-09, 01:41 PM
PS3 phail in Pakistan = No one ... and I mean NO ONE wants to pay 1000s for a game when they are used to piracy since the time of games on floppy discs and those sega cartridges etc!

All the other reasons are a farce. Piracy hoti aaj people would have got PS3s just as much as X360s here!

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 01:42 PM
PS3 phail in Pakistan = No one ... and I mean NO ONE wants to pay 1000s for a game when they are used to piracy since the time of games on floppy discs and those sega cartridges etc!
Ahsan, you're telling us all PS3 owners here are using it as a decoration piece? :P

Sire Ahsan
01-08-09, 01:49 PM
No one WANTS to pay ... if games were available pirated, you would have got them instead of the originals for sure! The people who own PS3s here have jobs and are mashAllah quite rich!

Had the PS3 been cracked ... X360 sales would have plummeted! Anyone who had got an RROD would have gone "Screw this man, Ill get the PS3, atleast it will never die on me". In Pakistan its ALL about the piracy! PS3 ka copied game 250rs ka bhe hota to PS3 bahut bahut bahut bikta! I bet you wont find many or even a few people who use ORIGINAL games on the X360s!

If PS3 was pirated it would have won hands down in Pakistan. FREE ONLINE ... NO RROD ... its a winning combo if it had been chipped!

Chandoo
01-08-09, 01:50 PM
dude obviously japan isn't the xbox's strong suite lol, it's been like that since day 1, saying japan is a victory for the PS3 is saying like how i'm more awesome than most PG members, totally obvious. :P

but then again, it's not like the PS3 is doing "well" in Japan either, weekly sales put the PS3 at what, 12k units sold per week ? that's still pretty low. Comparatively when you see US numbers, the 360 outsells the PS3 by the margin of hundreds of thousands of units each month, easily making up and over taking the gap Japan makes.

but now you say that even outside Pak the extra features are useless, is something very fanboyish (for the lack of a better word).

but that's just it, isn't it, especially for a tech savvy place like the states, if the PS3 was really considered such a technical marvel there, it wouldn't be lagging behind in the sales department so much, just 150k units sold last month, that doesn't speak volumes.

Ahsan, you're telling us all PS3 owners here are using it as a decoration piece? http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/../images/smilies/tongue.gif

No, but pretty close, many PS3 owners on PG have only got libraries of 3~5 games at max, and even then they take mighty precautions (or in some people's cases coughbaadshahcough wait months upon months until their game drops a thousand rupees or so) that sums up to a hefty sum, compared to that the average 360 pakistani owner has a whole bunch more of games.

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 01:54 PM
Its only a matter of time. Thats exactly what I'm trying to say. And Xbox 360 has the lead so far, no doubt. But to label PS3 as failure is pretty harsh. If 360 was still selling more even if PS3 was modded, then it would be a failure.

Which also brings me back to something I said before. You get what you pay for. PS3 is expensive coz it has alot of shit packed under the hood. Sadly theres no choice unlike MS gave us.

saying japan is a victory for the PS3 is saying like how i'm more awesome than most PG members, totally obvious. :P
No you're not :P Anyway, that example was to demonstrate that sales figures shouldn't matter to any GAMER. It shouldn't influence anyones decision in any way.

but that's just it, isn't it, especially for a tech savvy place like the states, if the PS3 was really considered such a technical marvel there, it wouldn't be lagging behind in the sales department so much, just 150k units sold last month, that doesn't speak volumes.
Like I said before, its totally valid to say its over-priced.

12k units sold per week ? that's still pretty low. Comparatively when you see US numbers, the 360 outsells the PS3 by the margin of hundreds of thousands of units each month, easily making up and over taking the gap Japan makes.
Its ALL about the price yaar. Doesn't make the console itself better or worse. C'mon man am I asking for too much for you to understand? Now if someone can enlighten us by sharing the Xbox 360 Elite vs PS3 sales figures, that would atleast give us some perspective on the real deal.

Sire Ahsan
01-08-09, 01:56 PM
No, but pretty close, many PS3 owners on PG have only got libraries of 3~5 games at max,

And all those are only the exclusives ... because those people just buy the multiplat games for the PC or X360 (Anyone who has a PS3 has those or atleast one of those) ... !

Piracy in a way meant PS3 is just simply not for us! I buy games with loose change ffs! ... and atleast here im not going to collect for TWO months just to buy one game instead! No one is!

To be very honest ... the cost of having 5-6 games on the PS3 gets you a PC or a X360 ... so even if it does RROD or you need to upgrade your PC, you still are better off with those things because you still can play a whole lota more games in the same expenditure!

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 02:02 PM
but then again, it's not like the PS3 is doing "well" in Japan either, weekly sales put the PS3 at what, 12k units sold per week ? that's still pretty low. Comparatively when you see US numbers, the 360 outsells the PS3 by the margin of hundreds of thousands of units each month, easily making up and over taking the gap Japan makes.

USA population = more than 305,000,000
Japan population = around 150,000,000
:P

No, but pretty close, many PS3 owners on PG have only got libraries of 3~5 games at max, and even then they take mighty precautions (or in some people's cases coughbaadshahcough wait months upon months until their game drops a thousand rupees or so) that sums up to a hefty sum

Heh, What's bad if you are so happy with your 3~5 games? :P And you can exchange them anytime to play more games. 3-5 games are more than enough when you also got MP to deal with. :8

Chandoo
01-08-09, 02:50 PM
hey badshah, we're getting the exact same LBP (your words, not mine :8) on the PSP for free too :8

@necro, i don't think anyone labels it as a "failure", but seeing the complete turnaround from the ps2 days is worth noting.

SolitarySoldier
01-08-09, 02:53 PM
hey badshah, we're getting the exact same LBP (your words, not mine :8) on the PSP for free too :8

I know lol, why reminding again and again. :P Exact as in gameplay. :8

Told ya if i felt LBP PSP> LBP PS3, i can sell the PS3 game anytime. :wink2:

Sire Ahsan
01-08-09, 03:21 PM
Anyone whos going to use the "Japanese" card on the PS3 mind explaining the PS2 sales in Pakistan ?

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 03:26 PM
Anyone whos going to use the "Japanese" card on the PS3 mind explaining the PS2 sales in Pakistan ?
Don't take everything literally. I used that only to explain another point. If I must answer your question, then its piracy. Piracy didn't invade PS3 yet. But did so in the PS2 era.

@Chandoo, You might wana look into changing the thread title, to keep things fair. Times have changed, the level of games developed has changed, the architecture is getting more and more complex. PS3 is still not pirate friendly. Many factors come into play. Too soon to even consider it a 'failure'. But since you seem to have knowledge about alot of sources, I would really like you to tell me the Xbox 360 Elite sales figures (genuine request if u will pliss).

I remember Victor Lucas putting the complexity of PS3 into perspective, "Xbox 360 is like ONE 11-gallons jug. PS3 is like ELEVEN 1-gallon jugs".

Chandoo
01-08-09, 03:33 PM
they don't label them separately in sales or quarterly reports, but obviously the arcade probably sells more than the elite's, still worth noting that all those bundles that get gulped up by the populace are elite's, never arcade's. So the demand is there.

but then again, isn't that just smart marketing on MS's part ? introducing a cheap entry level system that can play every game just fine, it just lacks some features that are optional, not mandatory for any game, sure the ps3 could have done something similar as well if it's blu ray drive wasn't as slow as a snail and the game's didn't require mandatory installs.

Even if MS sells those arcade's at a loss, it's all about getting the installed base as large as possible for the software to sell.

I remember Victor Lucas putting the complexity of PS3 into perspective, "Xbox 360 is like ONE 11-gallons jug. PS3 is like ELEVEN 1-gallon jugs".

one xbox 360 is the same as 11 ps3's ? :P

Necrokiller
01-08-09, 03:40 PM
they don't label them separately in sales or quarterly reports, but obviously the arcade probably sells more than the elite's, still worth noting that all those bundles that get gulped up by the populace are elite's, never arcade's. So the demand is there.Thats my point. Im pretty sure Elite sales are very low compared to Arcade. So feature by feature its not a fair comparison at all. Wouldn't things be different if Elite was the only console available?

but then again, isn't that just smart marketing on MS's part ? introducing a cheap entry level system that can play every game just fine, it just lacks some features that are optional, not mandatory for any gameAgreed. Ofcourse it is. Whats better than to give the users some choice? But let me tell you, PS3's raw power and all its extras, [like Crysis :P], are ahead of its time. When things become more common in every household (like Blu-ray playback and such), and eventually the PS3 could play pirated games, then only will you realize what a beast it is.

one xbox 360 is the same as 11 ps3's ? ROFLMAO! Thats not what it means. You need to be able to have some understanding of how the hardware works under the hood to understand that.

Radical
01-08-09, 05:19 PM
Well i personally don't keep the games with me, imo one should trade or sell the game after he's done with it & it STILL has market value :wink2: online MP games are an exception though.

Kane
01-08-09, 06:03 PM
Even if MS sells those arcade's at a loss, it's all about getting the installed base as large as possible for the software to sell.

First they make cheap silicone and then they reduce the size of its chip manfacturing process(65nm).
Still somebody thinks that they are selling it in loss then he is .............. i have already stated many times!lol

Ms does not know anything about loss.
Its sony who always gives quality,satisfaction and value to their customer!

Chandoo
01-08-09, 10:57 PM
wow kane lol, enough with the dumb trolling please, you're already on borrowed time as it is, listen to the friendly warning.