• Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The True meaning of "Battleship" ... an anti-american movie...*spoiler* alert

الله اکبر

I am:
      Stressed

MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      42.17%

The True meaning of "Battleship" ... an anti-american movie...*spoiler* alert

Weeks ago, when I saw Battleship, I dismissed it as a poorly written ID4 rip-off, like so many people have. But yesterday, as I dined with my cousin, he suggested that maybe everyone got the movie wrong and that it was possible that the aliens were actually the good guys. So I went to see the movie again and this is what I found:

The aliens ARE the good guys. All the plot-holes pertaining to the aliens actions, reactions, and plans make sense once you understand that they are not fighters and have not come to invade or destroy our planet.

Let’s go into more details. When Hopper first approaches the alien ship, he gets stunned by some sort of electrical field. For all we know, he may have stuck his fingers in an alien power outlet. In fact, try this at home in your bathroom, you’re likely to suffer much worse than he did. Then the ships sound their horns to signal the aliens. And the aliens respond in a similar manner. Unfortunately, their horn is pitched too high, shattering windows and deafening humans. But they do try to answer a sound with a sound, just like the aliens in Close Encounters. At this point the humans, feeling threatened, fire at the aliens. Only then do the aliens return fire. And even then, they show considerable restraint, only slightly damaging one of the ships. It is only after the humans start behaving more aggressively that the aliens do likewise.

In fact, consistently and throughout the movie, the aliens are shown trying to avoid unnecessary violence, going out of their way to spare innocents.

Next, they find an alien on board. The alien, in a brief flash, tries to communicate telepathically with Hopper. What do we see there? Sure, explosions and war. But clearly, the alien is showing how the world he comes from has been devastated by war and how they try to escape it. The look on the alien’s face in this moment is revealing. Just after that, an alien is still on the ship. What is he trying to do? To sabotage the engine. We know that the aliens can blast the ship right out of the water if they want to, they’ve already done it twice. Yet, again, they go out of their way to cripple their opponent while inflicting minimum casualties. During this sequence the alien deliberately ignores a sailor because he is unarmed, focusing on his task.

Speaking of which, what kind of weapons do these aliens have? They have their peg launchers which, while efficient, are not even guided and actually less advanced than what we earthlings use today. The aliens themselves have no personal weapon whatsoever. The only thing that comes close is the shape shifting apparatus the chrome armoured aliens have at the end of their arm. (The other, thinner aliens in orange suits have nothing at all.) The only time we see it is in the above mentioned sequence in the ship’s engine room where it appears to be some sort of acetylene torch. In other forms, it appears the shift into some kind of tool. Whatever it is, they never use it in combat at any time during the movie.

Which brings us to the ball-drone things and probably one of the more controversial moments of the movie: the highway scene. Yes, it is probable that innocent people are killed in this sequence. However, if you look closely at the shot of the attack’s aftermath, the damage is not that extensive. It is a possibility that because the aliens need to cripple the road, they are forced to cause some collateral damage in the process. But are those the actions of aliens hell-bent on conquering and destroying a planet? If it was so, couldn’t the ball-drone go on a rampage, destroying buildings all over Hawaii? And of course, the ball-drone is shown sparing an innocent child a moment before wrecking the highway.

Later again, when the humans attack the aliens during the iconic battleship battle, what were the aliens doing? Apparently, minding their own business.

We then arrive to the most important sequence of the movie and the one which many people point to when they want to prove that the aliens are the bad guys. When the aliens try to send a signal back home to ask for reinforcements. But the truth is that we don’t know that. The characters in the movie assume that the aliens are asking for reinforcements but they have no evidence of what the aliens’ message will be and neither do we. In fact, the most likely message the aliens could send is “Don’t come. It’s a trap. The locals are hostile.”

Let’s take a look at the human characters now. The hero, Alex Hopper, is repeatedly portrayed as reckless, irresponsible, and making bad choices.
      His Japanese counterpart, Captain Nagata is a psychopath: by his own assertion, he was trained to be a military grade sniper at the age of twelve.
      Cal Zapata who is in charge of the radar station,: is a scientist. We could expect him to be clear headed, someone who bases his actions on solid facts. His very first line is “When they come, it will be like Columbus and the Indians, except we’ll be the Indians.” Even before the aliens show up, he expects them to be hostile.
      Ordy is a simple headed redneck. His first lines? Racial slurs during the admiral’s speech.
      Rihanna’s only contribution to the movie? How her dad warned her that someday we’d meet aliens and it won’t be pretty.
      All the humans characters are depicted as trigger happy prejudiced idiots. Consistently.

Now, let’s see it from the aliens point of view. They receive a message from another planet. They decide to go there, conveniently landing near the signal’s source but in the ocean so as not to scare anyone or damage anything. Unfortunately, the communication module hits a satellite and crashes. They now have no way to call back home not to mention the fact the many of their friends and comrades are dead. Having landed, they find themselves facing the assembled armed forces of the entire planet. After no credible attempt at communication (how long does Hopper wait before attempting to board the alien after hailing them? Fifteen seconds?), the humans start attacking them. And even though they show restraint and go out of their way not to harm any people, the humans repeatedly attack them with everything they have.

Yes, once you realize that the aliens are not bloodthirsty invaders bent on destruction, but stranded peaceful explorers with no ill intent, the movie makes so much more sense.

But what then is the movie about? (Here; it is worthwhile to mention that the song over the end credits is Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival, one of the first anti-war protest songs of the Vietnam era.) It is this: when America meets an alien culture it doesn’t understand, its standard course of action is to send its army blast the aliens into oblivion and award them medals for saving the world.

To cleverly insert that subtext into a movie that looks so much like a Navy recruitment clip sponsored by the DoD, that is brilliant scriptwriting.
      Last edited by HAMMER of THOR; 16-05-12 at 02:22 AM.
      HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800/Hifiman HE500 SPEAKERS: Klipsch RF7IIs/Klipsch RB81IIs/ Subs Klipsch 2xR-115SW Amps/dacs: Audio-gd nfb 11.32/H/K AVR171/Anthem mca20/Marantz SR6010 Display:Sony 42W670/Samsung 75ju6400

This too, shall pass.

I am:
      Bored

PSN ID: Memoonk
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      1.15%
      ^^^ No one's gonna read all this atleast I wont... make it interesting by adding some pics dude...

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

الله اکبر

I am:
      Stressed

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      42.17%
      HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800/Hifiman HE500 SPEAKERS: Klipsch RF7IIs/Klipsch RB81IIs/ Subs Klipsch 2xR-115SW Amps/dacs: Audio-gd nfb 11.32/H/K AVR171/Anthem mca20/Marantz SR6010 Display:Sony 42W670/Samsung 75ju6400

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Lonely

PSN ID: iCe-b0mB Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sbaqai
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      75%
      interesting will give it another watch with your POV

Scorpion King

I am:
      Happy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      39.75%
      well I agree on most of the points there, specially on the aliens not hurting unarmed persons or any other thing they didnt considered a threat. I was with my cousin and i said "wow these aliens are good, they are not attacking unless they are attacked first". But I dont understand how can u say its anti "American"???

P.S: I loved this movie!! It was a treat to watch this on a big screen, great visuals!!
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/3765395691.png

الله اکبر

I am:
      Stressed

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      42.17%
      Quote Originally Posted by sumair007 View Post
      But I dont understand how can u say its anti "American"???

!
      read the full article... it is explained in the end... showing americans as absurd and war monger... the main character being a stupid asshole... the japanese dude being a psycho... showing force when they couldn't understand the opposite party... and then being slapped medals on their chest for being such redneck assholes... the lead scientist on the platform was pretty sure beforehand that the aliens are here to kill us all... it was all pretty stupid by the american forces... the movie is not a masterpiece but if you get the subtext of it then it improves tenfold... the biggest thing shown was that the aliens were SOLDIERS... it was some sort of mining equipment they were using as their weapons were shittier than ours... you would think that aliens that advanced won't miss shit while we have heat seeking and cruise missiles...
      Last edited by HAMMER of THOR; 16-05-12 at 06:05 AM.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Happy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      86.3%
      1st thing to wonder, hollywood can't get enough of aliens. I mean okay, aliens invaded and the earthlings responded and an end to the threat. But why every single movie on the same topic? Sometimes its like Alien vs Air force, at times its Alien vs troopers and now alien vs Navy.
      Why can't they get over with it? And second thing to wonder, wow such a long article...
      I mean great job Thor. But who is up to really read it all.

Baby Jeezuz.

I am:
      Yeehaw

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      41.33%
      I think hammer got the word 'Anti-American' wrong.

Respect Ma AuthoritA!!!
      Nintendo/PSP Moderator

I am:
      Roflol

Gamertag: mani the gamer PSN ID: Manigamer Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/manigamer
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      97.97%
      i think it PERHAPS couldn't be all about the americans BUT THE human species altogether perhaps ! its IN THE NATURE .