MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      41.53%

SilverStone RAVEN RV02B

SilverStone RAVEN RV02B

Introduction:

Founded in 2003, SilverStone is an established leader in its field. Their elite team of engineers has been providing innovative products ever since; along with top notch after-sales services. Their main aim is to provide first class aesthetic appeal with integration of advanced technologies that are functional and making them enjoyable to use.
      SilverStone’s philosophy is to ensure that their expertise is delivered to all products with consistency, in response to user’s needs and with maximum user satisfaction. Their products are made from high quality raw material and are crafted to utter perfection.

Today, we’ll be having a detailed look at their innovative RAVEN RV02 computer chassis. After releasing the ground-breaking RAVEN RV01, the first retail chassis to utilize the 90 degree motherboard mounting layout, SilverStone’s RAVEN team quickly went back to the drawing board to create another chassis with even more mass appeal. The resulting RAVEN RV02 is smaller, lighter, and higher performing.

Packaging and the Case:

SilverStone RAVEN RV02 comes in a pretty large all-black box. Front of the box covers six main features of the case. Apart from that it boasts about the 90 degree motherboard mount. Front of the box also got a picture of the front of the case.

Back of the box shows a picture of the case with side panel opened and explains main features of the internals in 11 bullet points.

RAVEN RV02 comes secured in a large cloth bag which is further secured by Styrofoam spacers.

-Exterior:

SilverStone RAVEN RV02 is made up of solid matte black plastic outer shell and body is made up from 0.8mm steel. Plastic material used in this case got a very ‘exclusive’ feel. You will be thinking twice before touching it but it isn’t that prone to scratches. Overall, the feel of the chassis is very solid.

Looking at the front of the case, it feels very simple with a lot of straight lines, simple black RAVEN logo at the bottom and a white plastic part on top which actually illuminates in blue color when system is powered on. There is a little red LED in it which acts as HDD activity LED. There is no place for any fans or ventilation on front of the case.

Both side panels of the case are made of steel with no place for fans or ventilation. It gives a very clean look to the case. There is a variation of this case which comes with an acrylic window on the right side panel.

Since, this case features a 90 degree rotated motherboard panel so there is no traditional sorts of fan holes or I/O back plate on the back of the case. Back of the case carries nothing more than a fan slot for PSU ventilation. This fan slot is geared up with an easily removable and washable dust filter. It’ll not let any dust particles to get into your PSU and when the filter gets dusty doing its job, you can always take it off and wash it.

Apart from that, there is a little hole on the top part which is for the power, display and other cables to reach to the back of motherboard or PSU.

Top part of the case seems to be a bit complicated as compared to other sides of the case. It’s the busiest part of the case. It carries a big hole and two mesh panels for ventilation.

This top panel is easily removable. No tool is required for this purpose. Removing this panel reveals the business part of the case.

I/O panel of the motherboard and back side of the PSU will end up in this part of the case. It also carries a 120mm fan with grill for exhaust. This fan rotates at 950RPM and produces 18dBA of noise. Most of the air will be exhausted from the upper part of the case.

Near the 120mm fan, there are 3 switches to control bottom fans of the case. These switches allow high and low speed variation.

There are 8 expansion slots on this case which opens up the possibility of 4-way GPU configuration.

You’ll find a power button, a reset button, 2 USB 2.0 ports, an audio-out jack and a microphone jack on the top the case.

Side panels can be taken off by removing 4 thumb screws (two for each panel) which are holding the side panels on the top side of the case.

-Interior:

Interior of the RAVEN RV02 is all matte black. As I mentioned earlier it’s made up of 0.8mm steel. Quality of the paint is what you’d expect from SilverStone – TOP NOTCH. It totally justifies the usual premium you have to pay for SilverStone products. Most of the fan cables and front panel cables are already routed to make the system assembly process a bit easier.

You can install up to four 5.25" drives in this case. These can be mounted without the help of any tool thanks to SilverStone tool-less mechanism. All you have to do is press the button from the upper part, insert in the 5.25" drive, press the button down and you are done.

Raven RV02 can accept up to three 3.5" hard drives though the mounting system is bit shady. Hard drives are installed in a metal caddy which is secures with the help of four thumb screws on each side.

Undo the thumb screws and caddy slides out and now you can install the drives with the help of provided screws. With drives installed, you need to slide the caddy in and secure it with thumb screws. This caddy is rigged up with anti-vibration grommets to dampens any kind of vibration produced by hard drives.

RAVEN RV02 comes with three 180mm intake fans pre-installed at bottom. They are rated at 700rpm with 18dBA at low speed and 1000rpm with 27dBA at high speed. These are the fans which make most of the air flow of the case.

Here is a diagram from SilverStone which shows the working of stack effect which is used in this case. This type of cooling reduces the chance of hot air being trapped inside the case. It’s the most natural way of cooling as hot air rises upwards.

Bottom 180mm fans come with dust filters which are easily removable and can be washed when needed. Speed of these fans can be controlled with the help of the control switches present on the top of the case.

RAVEN RV02 carries ample amount of holes in motherboard tray for cable routing purposes.

It also comes with a large cutout for cooler retention plate.

Expansion cards are secured with the help of simple screws. You might be thinking that why SilverStone didn’t use ‘tool-less’ approach here. That’s because considering the design and orientation of board tool-less mechanism wouldn’t have been sufficient to secure big video cards. Raven RV02 can take expansion cards up to 12 inches long which means that you can install pretty much any consumer level card in this case.

Let’s have a look at pre-installed wires of the RAVEN RV02. The LED light on the upper front of the case uses a molex plug. It can be simply plugged into you power supply and it’ll turn on once you turn on your PC.

Other front panel cables include power switch, reset switch, HDD LED, AC’97/HD Audio cable (depends on the capability of your motherboard) and a front USB 2.0 extension cable.

All four fans use 3pin connector for power.

Accessories:

SilverStone Raven RV02 comes with a respectable accessory package. It includes:
      • A well detailed manual
      • Multiple 3pin to molex convertor
      • Two radiator brackets
      • A power supply strap
      • A bag full of different kind of screws
      • An SSD bracket
      • A 5.25” to 3.5” plate
      • A 5.25” to 3.5” bracket
      • A bunch of reusable wire ties
      • A power supply bracket

SilverStone included each and everything you’ll need to install you hardware in this case.

Specifications:

Assembly:

We’ll start the assembly process with the power supply. Power supply is secured in with help of four screws, a power supply strap and a power supply bracket. With all these things properly installed you shouldn’t be worried about you power supply in any way. Power supply of pretty much any length can be installed in this case. You can route all the cables to the back of the mother board tray through the nearest hole.

After this you should install the hard drive in its caddy and secure it in the case as installing it after motherboard would be an issue. However, SilverStone claims that you can do it even with motherboard installed. Here you can see the instruction to do it that way but I think it would be better to install the hard drives first.

Now, motherboard can be installed in a very traditional manner onto the pre-installed spacers with the help of included screws.

All you have to do now is install your expansion cards, plug in all the cables and you are good to go. This is how our test system looked with everything hooked up. You can notice that all the cables are nicely routed to the back of the motherboard tray.

You can use provided cable ties to clean up the cable mess if needed. This is how backed of our system looked like with all the cables tucked in with help of cable ties. There is ample space at back to place cables if needed.

This is how the business end of the case will look with everything installed.

With all the cables plugged in.

This is how the front LED looks when system is turned on.

Final Words:

SilverStone has done a phenomenal job with RAVEN series. 90 degree rotated layout not only gives your system and out-of-the-world look but it also helps a lot in cooling. The stack effect works with the natural phenomenon of flow of the air and keeps your hardware well ventilated. It’s clear that engineers at SilverStone have put great efforts into this case.

In our system, RAVEN RV02 managed to keep temperatures 2-5C lower than Cooler Master HAF932. Apart from temperatures, noise level has also lowered considerably as compared to Cooler Master HAF932 even with the fans set at high speed. It is pretty amazing how SilvetStone managed to give such great air flow with only 4 fans. Less number of fans is one of the main reasons behind less noise.

Construction quality is great as always. All the materials used are catering high quality and strength. Black paint seems to be long lasting and scratch resistant.

Design of the RAVEN RV02 is very simple and futuristic at same time. The front LED makes the case stand out among others.

Installing the hardware was an easy and simple job as opposed to what it seemed to be initially considering the innovative design of the case. The only drawback I noticed is the placement of the hard drive caddy. You can’t take out hard drives without taking off the motherboard in this particular model but SilverStone recently launched a new revision of the case in which this issue has been resolved.

No support for USB 3.0 on front panel might be an issue for some users but i don’t think USB 3.0 have made its way deep into our lives as yet to make it a deal breaker but I would surely suggest SilverStone to find a solution to this issue.
      All in all RAVEN RV02 is a great case. It offers great cooling and functionality with innovative looks and design.

This great case from SilverStone gets our 'TOP PICK' award.

-Pros:

• Excellent build quality
      • Innovative design
      • Great looks
      • Awesome cooling
      • Simple but effective fan controller
      • Great cable management capability
      • 4 fans included
      • Dust filters on all intake fans
      • Low noise operation even on high speed
      • Anti vibration grommets on HDD cage

-Cons:

• No USB 3.0 support on front panel
      • Not-so-good HDD bays
      • Supports only 3 hard drives

SilverStone RAVEN RV02 can be bought from AstronTech for a modest price of 15,500 PKR.

A console lover is like a car enthusiast that loves the driving. A PC lover is like a car enthusiast that loves building their car as well.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Yeehaw

Steam ID: mcfuckingcrazy
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      81.83%
      Simplicity at its best.Can i has it?? Its so epic.Nice review

PG Juggernaut

I am:
      Roflol

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      29.83%
      O_o
      One Great Case!

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Pensive

Gamertag: TotaLOverd0sE
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      46.5%
      Superb review dude!

The pictures look amazing, the DSLR seems to have paid off really well.

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Devilish

PSN ID: muhd86
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      90.54%
      so this is what u got .epic review nce pics ...

Nikkon:-D7100 WITH 18-135MM / 50mm / 35mm & 70-200 /28-105 d

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Fine

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      6.37%
      is that a new cam?...I'll also get a DSLR (only if a lottery pops out..)...B-E-A utiful pics brother!...
      Last edited by LiV3 WiR3; 27-03-11 at 09:39 PM.
      YiPPiE-KAi-YAY Mocker futher!

PG Xtremist

I am:
      Happy

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      67.35%
      nice review..........

PG Xtremist
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Yeehaw

Steam ID: sunny945
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      54.39%
      after a long break you come with a very well written review
      i really like the review as well as case its self its look,cable management, cooling every thing is perfect

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

after a long break you come with a very well written review
      i really like the review as well as case its self its look,cable management, cooling every thing is perfect

King Of The Kings

I am:
      ----

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      29.83%
      best review anyone did on pg and these images are just fantastic

PG Xtremist
      PG Emeritus

I am:
      Yeehaw

Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      7.08%
      Nicely explained detaild review u didnt showd the beauty shots of the case though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast