Thread: How to move apps to SD card on a galaxy note 2

PG Founder
      PakGamers Founder
      I am:
      Fine

My Consoles
      XB360 , Xbox One , PS4

How to move apps to SD card on a galaxy note 2

So, I got this samsung galaxy note 2 and found that you no longer allowed to move apps installed on your internal memory to the SD card and now the SD card is pretty much available for music and movies only. chainfire[dev~blog] - Is Google blocking apps writing to SD cards ?

I was out of android scene, and now I saw this...I am kind of pissed-off cause I bought a 64G SD card for installing apps and blah (not for movies and music), and I can't use any app to move data to SD card over the stock phone. I have done a quick research on XDA-Developers and found that the only possible method is using "Directory Bind" and for that you have to root your phone [TOOL] DirectoryBind - move data to external_sd (GameLoft, Shadowgun etc.) ROOT req. - xda-developers

So, is any android expert here tell me step by step easy to do process, which allows me to move the apps from the internal memory to SD card? I don't want to get into much shit as my primary phone is still the iphone all I need is this one feature. Or is this possible that I remove the currently installed apps and install them directly on the new SD card? :S I didn't know that samsung/google has done this retarded thing by blocking the apps installation on the SD card.

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC
      Hi,

Phone internal memory of Galaxy Note is sufficient for installing atleast 300-400 appz. There is Move to SD card option in almost 95% of applications now. If Application data is huge then in 99% of applications it will automatically install in Memory card or internal huge memory...

You can go to Settings> Apps> Choose Move to SD card... Isnt that available for almost all appz except Google apps which take only 1-2% of space or less...
      Last edited by JJDoctor; 25-10-12 at 09:53 PM.

PG Founder
      PakGamers Founder
      I am:
      Fine

My Consoles
      XB360 , Xbox One , PS4
      Quote Originally Posted by JJDoctor View Post
      Hi,

Phone internal memory of Galaxy Note is sufficient for installing atleast 300-400 appz. There is Move to SD card option in almost 95% of applications now. If Application data is huge then in 99% of applications it will automatically install in Memory card or internal huge memory...

You can go to Settings> Apps> Choose Move to SD card... Isnt that available for almost all appz except Google apps which take only 1-2% of space or less...
      Thanks for your reply mate, I am not a new android user, I think you didn't visited the mentioned link! Google and samsung has removed the "Move to SD card" feature in the latest build of jelly bean, no application now can move data to SD card which we used to have on a stock phone, secondly Note 2 right now only available in 16G capacity and out of which only 10G is user useable and my new out of the box phone already have about 3GB of apps installed (FIFA 13 = 1.28GB etc) which I can't move to the SD card

PS: I know not all the apps are moveable, but I can't move any app at all..tried everything..nothing..looks like I have to go down towards the directory bind method (which is not very good as it will swap the internal memory with the external one and hence decrease the apps performance as internal memory reading speed is far more faster than the SD card)

Mobile King !
      I am:
      ----

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: ASUS 17.3 Full HD
        CPU: Core i7 3610QM
        Cooler: Dual CPU + GPU
        Motherboard: Intel
        Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
        GPU: NVIDIA 660M GTX
        HDD: 1.5TB 7200RPM
        Chassis: ASUS G75

Re: How to move apps to SD card on a galaxy note 2

http://galaxynote2root.com/galaxy-no...asiest-method/

Rooted mine using this.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC
      Quote Originally Posted by iNF3RN0 View Post
      Thanks for your reply mate, I am not a new android user, I think you didn't visited the mentioned link! Google and samsung has removed the "Move to SD card" feature in the latest build of jelly bean, no application now can move data to SD card which we used to have on a stock phone, secondly Note 2 right now only available in 16G capacity and out of which only 10G is user useable and my new out of the box phone already have about 3GB of apps installed (FIFA 13 = 1.28GB etc) which I can't move to the SD card

PS: I know not all the apps are moveable, but I can't move any app at all..tried everything..nothing..looks like I have to go down towards the directory bind method (which is not very good as it will swap the internal memory with the external one and hence decrease the apps performance as internal memory reading speed is far more faster than the SD card)
      sorry for that. i didn't read carefully.. Actually i myself didn't use jelly bean as i didn't go beyond 4.0.4 ICS. Never knew this issue with latest builds..

your best bet would be to use the New MicrosdXC cards which have ultra fast read/write speeds. i remember one costing 48$ for 32gb. then you can use the mentioned root application patch in your mentioned link...

- - - Updated - - -

P.S : i saw GL to SD card app which seem to work same way from Google play.
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.slf.ListglApp&hl=en&referrer=utm_so urce%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3D gl+to+sd

$heeda Pastol
      Global Moderator
      I am:
      Busy

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 933BW Plus 19" || 16:10 || 1440x900
        CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.8Ghz
        Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 (2 Fans)
        Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
        Memory: 4x4GB DDR3 - GSkill Ripjaws || 9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v
        GPU: MSI GTX680 TwinFrozrIII OC || GPU Clock 1100Mhz || Boost Clock 1200Mhz || Memory Clock 1680Mhz
        HDD: Seagate 2TB (ST2000DM001) & 1TB (ST31000524AS) @ SATA II 6GB/s || WD Green 640GB (6400AACS)
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF922 - Mid Tower
        PSU: Corsair HX1000
        Soundcard: Integrated Realtek ALC889
      So, is any android expert here tell me step by step easy to do process, which allows me to move the apps from the internal memory to SD card?
      First thing first. You'll have to ROOT your phone to be able to do that.

"Easy Process" you say? Well ... it can't get easier than this.
      [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V1.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, EFS, Flash Stock Image + MORE - xda-developers

Or is this possible that I remove the currently installed apps and install them directly on the new SD card? :S
      Nope. No way to do that.

But you can move your apps to SDCard with "Directory Bind" as mentioned in opening post by you.

However, i would recommend not doing this with every app as ordinary apps will barely give you any storage related problems (If an .apk package crosses 50MB or so, devs make the rest of the data "SDData" anyway ... so either way you are safe). SD Data should be your main concern ... which means try ONLY GAMES to move to External SDCard.

I didn't know that samsung/google has done this retarded thing by blocking the apps installation on the SD card.
      There wasn't any such method in past either (.apk package would still install in internal memory, while it was SDData which was moveable to Internal SDCard, not even external). However, users had the option of doing so (move to External SDCard) with "Apps2SD" software, which ofcourse required ROOT.

SDcards are slower than internal flash memory anyway (except the latest high performance sdcards which redefined the standard). Then they use a different filesystem. So yeah i think there are some valid reasons for not doing that.

الله اکبر
      I am:
      Stressed

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: sony kdl-42w670... super low input lag
        CPU: i7 2600k@stock
        Cooler: cm vortex plus
        Motherboard: asus p8p67
        Memory: 4gb vengence
        GPU: evga gtx 560ti
        HDD: many...
        Chassis: haf 922 red
        PSU: cm gx 750
        Soundcard: audio-gd amp/dac 11.32,klipsch speakers rb 81-iis,amp celestion av1000 & hps hifiman he500,jvc s500
      congrats on the phone... but you have to ROOT... if you do not root an android then what is the point of buying it in the first place??:P

PG Founder
      PakGamers Founder
      I am:
      Fine

My Consoles
      XB360 , Xbox One , PS4
      Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER of THOR View Post
      congrats on the phone... but you have to ROOT... if you do not root an android then what is the point of buying it in the first place??:P
      Thanks...well as I said this is my secondary phone but anyway after doing some research I found that there are only two solutions are available:

- Directory Bind (swap your internal memory with the ext one..though it's not recommended as ext memory have a slow read speed + other instability issues)
      - Titanium Back (bank and restore your current apps on SD..I have saw much but heard about it a lot on Xda-developers)

I will go with the titanium back as I just want to move few pre-installed games like FIFA 13 which is using 1.28GB of internal memory, plus there's this GL2SD card app which will be useful for future installation of gameloft products as mentioned by @JJDoctor.

Lost Somewhere
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC
      I m currently using GL2SD and man its awesome must have app for HD gamers and it not only move gameloft games but others games too.

Life King:Zaselim
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3 , Xbox One , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 32" HDTV and Viewsonic Pro8200 Full HD Projector (150" to 160")
        CPU: quad core 2.66
        Motherboard: XFX 680 sli
        Memory: 4gb ddr2 800mhz
        GPU: Geforce GTX 560
        HDD: 300gb, 250gb,80gb,500gb = 1130gb
        PSU: Cooler Master 700W
      i also have the same proble, bro.. I bought 64gb sandisk mobile ultra 200x class10 uhs speed class 1 for 8300 Rs from Hafeez centre lahore. i have a rooted note 2. i tried apps2sd, data2sd, move2sd but everytime i select the app to move its info window opens and i nkow i suppose to have an option "move 2 sd" but i don't, only the "force stop, uninstall, clear size and cache i think."Now i'm going to try that bind method hope it doesn't harm my phablet or anything, cause i just had bootloop issue when i installed chinfire3d and i didn't know note 2 doesn't support it. Thanks to God i didn't lose my data after installing the rom which by accidently was the same as my note 2 had.So, bind method isn't harmful, is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast