• Amused
  • Angry
  • Bored
  • Busy
  • Cheeky
  • Cold
  • Confused
  • Cool
  • Devilish
  • Fine
  • Hacker
  • Happy
  • In Love
  • Innocent
  • Lonely
  • Nerdy
  • Pensive
  • Roflol
  • Sad
  • Starving
  • Stressed
  • Yeehaw
  • Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks Thanks:  0
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 30

    Thread: Capacitive vs Resistive | TFT vs LCD | MWM vs Android

    1. #1
      PG Xtremist

      I am:
      Happy
       
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      1,011
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      63.95%

      Capacitive vs Resistive | TFT vs LCD | MWM vs Android

      Salaam bros,
      I have been searching for a new smartphone (actually my first one). Being a member of middle class family, I can only afford a used one only.

      But the search has been a headache.. found smartphones with all good features and specs but then it would have a resistive touchscreen. Those with capacitive touchscreens would then have only this as a good feature while others with everything right including display.. would be out of my budget.

      I have never used a touchscreen before (apart from an hour or two of playing around with iphone 3g). Are resistive touchscreens really that bad or its just me being over afraid? I definitely don't want to use a stylus. Want to do everything with my finger but that also without putting too much pressure.

      So as the main difference between resistive and capacitive displays is that one requires pressure while other works on some other kind of technology which just needs a touch. What I want to know is how much pressure? Is it really hard on the fingers as I send msgs a lot?

      Second question is that how much difference would be there between TFT and LCD displays of smartphones?

      One more to add, how much will you rate Microsoft Windows Mobile against Android?

      Thanks for your time and waiting for your replies,
      Najeeb.

    2. #2
      PG Xtremist

      I am:
      ----
       
      Steam ID: rehan751
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      1,106
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      28.83%
      Walaykum Assalam.

      I use a Nokia 5530 which has resistive touchscreen. Capacitive screens require just a slight touch to work and they are better than resistive. However it seems that u have a perception that resistive screens require a lot of pressure which is not true. There is no need of stylus as every action can be performed by finger use. I use it with my finger and I sms a lot.

      U haven't used capacitive screens much so you will easily get used to a resistive screen.

      For ur second question, TFT are LCDs as far as I know.

      For 3rd ques, Windows Phone 7 is very limited in the sense of customization although the UI is very fast. If you want a heavily customizable phone, go for Android.

    3. #3
      PG Xtremist

      I am:
      Cool
       
      Gamertag: AfzalivE Steam ID: EvilRacer
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      3,459
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      42.9%
      I used a resistive screen before a capacitive one (N97), you won't be missing out until you use a capacitive afterwards, then you'll feel resistive is not as good. The thing with resistive is that nails work better on it but that might scratch the screen.

      Go for a used Android if you want to play with the software/OS of the phone, otherwise get something else (Not WP7 though, try iPhone or Palm Pre)
      Android Developer at a tech startup

    4. #4
      PG Xtremist

      I am:
      ----
       
      Steam ID: rehan751
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      1,106
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      28.83%
      Quote Originally Posted by eViLrAcEr View Post
      you won't be missing out until you use a capacitive afterwards,
      Yes that's what I am saying

    5. #5
      PG Xtremist

      I am:
      Happy
       
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      1,011
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      63.95%
      Quote Originally Posted by rehan751 View Post
      Walaykum Assalam.

      I use a Nokia 5530 which has resistive touchscreen. Capacitive screens require just a slight touch to work and they are better than resistive. However it seems that u have a perception that resistive screens require a lot of pressure which is not true. There is no need of stylus as every action can be performed by finger use. I use it with my finger and I sms a lot.

      U haven't used capacitive screens much so you will easily get used to a resistive screen.

      For ur second question, TFT are LCDs as far as I know.

      For 3rd ques, Windows Phone 7 is very limited in the sense of customization although the UI is very fast. If you want a heavily customizable phone, go for Android.
      Quote Originally Posted by eViLrAcEr View Post
      I used a resistive screen before a capacitive one (N97), you won't be missing out until you use a capacitive afterwards, then you'll feel resistive is not as good. The thing with resistive is that nails work better on it but that might scratch the screen.

      Go for a used Android if you want to play with the software/OS of the phone, otherwise get something else (Not WP7 though, try iPhone or Palm Pre)
      I think, I should give a try to resistive one with Android though. Thank you guys for ensuring me that I won't be missing much.

    6. #6
      W'Sup, G?
      PG Emeritus

      I am:
      Fine
       
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      8,188
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      61.4%
      Dude you just go to a market and test it!
      You don't really have to apply tons of pressure to it lol....you just touch it like you normally would.

      Here's how resistive touch screens work,
      There are two transparent electric sheets above the screen, and they have a gap in between. When you press on it they come in contact and sends the coordinates to the cpu to track the touch point.

      And capacitive touch screens work on your body's electrical/capacitance properties hence they don't respond to styluses.

      I have been using 5800 and the last time I used the stylus it was when I opened the entire set for cleaning. Seriously you will never feel the need unless the screen is real crap.

    7. #7
      Crit-Monster™

      I am:
      Pensive
       
      Gamertag: ASKnASK Steam ID: ASKnASK
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      10,411
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      98.22%
      ^ There is one simple solution.

      Do NOT use a Capacitive screen if you plan to use Resistive screens long term. They WILL seem really weird and crappy once you get used to a good capacitive display.

      I used a 5530 for like 12 months and LOVED it. But once I moved to the Samsung Wave, the 5530 felt crap lol The touchscreen seemed to require a lot of pressure.

    8. #8
      W'Sup, G?
      PG Emeritus

      I am:
      Fine
       
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      8,188
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      61.4%
      Well you don't really know when you are gonna change your cellphone lol!

      Yeah it feels kinda weird when I use a capacitive touch screen, but you adjust to it.

    9. #9
      Parmanu Bomb

      I am:
      Stressed
       
      Steam ID: hussainmushahid
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      2,821
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      66%
      you guys are missing one point, capacitive touch screens have multi-touch while resistive touch screen's don't

      AFAIK all Android phones have capacitive touch screens, high end phones no longer come with resistive touch screens.

    10. #10
      W'Sup, G?
      PG Emeritus

      I am:
      Fine
       
      MainMy Activity InfoMy PG Info
      Posts
      8,188
      Daily Activity
      0%
      Lv. Percent
      61.4%
      well my 5800 has got a multi-touch piano app....though its not that accurate. But its there :P

     

     

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    All times are GMT +5. The time now is 08:30 AM.


    Back to Top Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
    Copyright © 2016 PakGamers. All rights reserved.