GPU: Calibre X460G SLi
        HDD: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB / WD Blue 320GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF932
        PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC 1000w
        Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Gold Edt. / Supreme FX

Kingston HyperX LoVo DDR3 1600MHz CL9 4GB Kit & HyperX Black Fan

Kingston HyperX LoVo DDR3 1600MHz CL9 4GB Kit & HyperX Black Fan

Introduction:

Kingston Technology Company, founded in 1987, is world’s independent memory leader with more than 2,000 memory products in every field. Kingston offers memory solutions for pretty much every machine that requires a memory from computers, servers and printers to MP3 players, digital cameras and mobile phones.

In 2002, Kingston launched new HyperX line of high-performance memory modules. HyperX modules are specially engineered for PC enthusiasts and Overclockers.

In March 2010, Kingston diverted a bit from their sole purpose of HyperX memory and launched HyperX LoVo, or Low Voltage memory, ideal for users who can benefit from lower power and reduced heat. LoVo modules also lower ambient noise to give users a better HTPC experience.

They are especially designed for power conscious users. Unlike, traditional DDR3 memory which are rated at 1.5-1.65v, HyperX LoVo memory kits are rated to run at 1.25v and 1.35v depending on the kit you choose. Low voltage memory kits not only benefits power conscious users but overclockers and PC enthusiasts also found them interesting. By increasing the voltage to 1.5-.165v these kits can be overclocked pretty high as compared to the kits which are already rated at 1.5-1.65v.

Kingston is offering them in following variations:

These kits are specially optimized for Intel P55 Chipset.

Today, we’ll have a detailed look at a member of HyperX LoVo family of memory kits - KHX1600C9D3LK2/4GX. It’s rated to run at 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) with only 1.35v.

Apart from memory, we’ll also have a quick look at Kingston HyperX Black fan. I was initially released in blue color but recently Kingston launched it in black color to match industry’s ‘all-black’ trend.

Packaging and the Memory:

Something that is supposed to save the environment in one way or other is usually green. Since, HyperX LoVo is doing pretty much the same task so it comes in a green and white themed box with nature friendly cartoons over it. You can easily identify from the packaging that this thing is environment friendly but I am not sure if only the cartoons are environment friendly or the packaging itself is made up of some environment friendly paper.

Anyhow, the front of the box gives a nice glimpse of the memory modules and oh-mate they are also green!!

Back of the box states some of the key features of the memory along with a little sticker which shows product number, bar codes and other stuff like that. Kingston has really gone ahead on saving the world, small logos show that the packaging is made up of 80% recycled paper and it’s printed with Soy ink.

It also states that this kit is 100% tested and its covered by Kingston’s Lifetime warranty and free technical support.

The memory modules come packed in a black plastic shell with transparent top.

Kingston also included a Warranty and Installation Guide with this kit.

Like I mentioned earlier, Kingston LoVo memory modules comes with green colored heat spreaders. Basically, these are the same heat spreader Kingston has been using in most of the HyperX modules; the only key difference is the color. LoVo modules have green instead of light blue. Heat spreaders on these modules aren’t that bulky, they are simple are small because with low voltage operation memory chips don’t need any kind of aggressive cooling.

As you can clearly see, this is a dual channel kit. Each module contains 2GB of memory chips. They are rated to run at 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) at 1.35v on any P55 motherboard.

Both sides of the heat spreaders are same except the sticker. One side holds the sticker with Kingston LoVo logo and other technical information.

Kingston LoVo comes with traditional green colored PCB but for the first time the green PCB is looking good. Nothing else could have looked better than this.

Let’s move onto the HyperX Fan now. It’s being shipped with a couple of HyperX T1 kits but you can also buy it separately for only 23USD. The one we have here is the separate unit in black color.

It comes in a nice black and bluish-white box with a little area on front through which you can sneak onto the fan itself.

Back of the box describes the main features in a number of different languages.

HyperX Fan comes with an installation guide and 4 thumb screws which are need to install it. Installation is pretty easy and quick.

Unlike the initial one, this new one comes with an all-black anodized finish.

HyperX Fan comes with two 60mm clear fans that are wired together and into one 3-pin fan header.

The fans have 4 LEDs each which are blue in color. They are rated for 12 Volts and draw up to 0.16 Amps each. They operate at a whisper quiet noise level of 25dBA. The fans can be easily removed for cleaning purposes as they are attached to a metal frame which slides into the top body.

The stand or holders also have the same finish as rest of the fan body. They come with this ‘X’ shaped cut which adds quite a lot of glamour to them.

With the holder installed it should look like this. It has ‘HyperX’ accents all over.

When it’s up and running, it adds a lot of bling to the rig and looks really good.

Specifications:

Test Setup:

Overclocking and Testing:

Like every other DDR3 memory, this kit runs at JEDEC standard (1333MHz, CL9) by default. To achieve its rated speeds, you can enable XMP from BIOS. This particular memory kit features 2 XMP profiles, Low Voltage and Ultra-Low Voltage. The Low Voltage one runs at 1600MHz CL9 at 1.35v, the Ultra-Low Voltage runs at 1333MHz CL9 at only 1.25v.
      Here is a shot of CPUz showing XMP, part number and other info of this memory kit.

I’ll overclock this memory far ahead of its XMP profile speeds but before we look at how well this memory kit overclocks let’s have a quick look at some facts about memory overclocking and my overclocking procedure:
      Memory overclocking is a very difficult task. There are a lot of things you have to keep in mind to get the most out of it. There are many settings and you need to find the best possible combination. Increasing memory speed will not give you enough boost until you fine tune your timings too and other way around. Timings play a vital role in your memory performance. Then voltage comes into play, you can’t keep on increasing memory voltage especially with X58 and P55 chipset as memory controller (IMC) is located on your processor and too much voltage can damage it. To achieve higher memory clocks increasing memory voltage only will not help, you’ll need to increase IMC voltage as well. Overall, it’s a very complicated and time consuming process.

- As most of you know that memory is linked with base clock. We need to change base clock in order to change memory speed hence it changes overall speed of processor but we’ll try to keep processor clock near 4.0GHz by changing multiplier when needed.
      - Memory stability will be tested with MemTest, it’s a small but very handy tool to test stability of memory.
      - I’ll test the memory modules in Dual Channel mode.

Below is a graph showing the overclocked speeds and timings of this LoVo memory kit.

Kingston HyperX LoVo overclocked pretty well for a ‘power-saving’ memory kit. Once the voltage is turned up to traditional value of 1.65v this kit turns into a beast.

It can reach a little over its rated speed with CL7 timings with voltage increased to 1.65v. Crosses 1800MHz with CL8 and reaches almost 2100MHz easily with CL9 timings.

With tuning the timings a little bit more to 9-11-9-27, its reaches a whooping 2270MHz.

Let’s move onto the performance testing part now.

- Lavalys Everest:

Lavalys created and developed market leading computer diagnostics, hardware monitoring, network audit, and benchmarking software solutions based on our proven, award-winning EVEREST technology.
      We used Lavalys Everest Memory Benchmark tool to test read, write and copy speeds. Furthermore we also tested Latency.

Read

Write

Copy

Latency

- MaxxMEM Preview:

It tests your computer’s raw memory performance, combining copy, read, write and latency tests into one global score. It contains the same Memory benchmark routine as MaxxPI does. So your reached results will be comparable to Memory/ Latency benchmarks done by MaxxPI.

Memory Score

Latency Score

Total MaxxMEM Marks

Final Words:

Kingston HyperX LoVo, it’s not really meant for hardware enthusiasts or hardcore overclockers. It’s here to save the world by saving some power. It may not make a big difference in overall power consumption of your rig but it’ll surely do its bit. Mainly, it can be computers where you do want performance but keeping the power consumption to the lowest level like home data servers or HTPCs. It has two XMP profiles, 1st one offers 1.35v and 2nd one gives a super low 1.25v.

Both of the XMP profiles are weak for a performance user but if you really want to get performance out of this kit, it’ll give what you want. With voltage turned up to 1.65v, this ‘green’ kit can reach almost 2300MHz, which is really impressive for such a kit.

HyperX LoVo is a different kind of product. It may not be that popular among overclockers and enthusiasts but it surely has a place in market. Such kind of products can never be neglected. I hope Kingston comes up with more ‘green’ kind of products.

It retails for around 120USD. Furthermore, it’s backed up by Kingston’s Lifetime warranty with free technical support.

- Pros:
      • Low power consumption with XMP profiles
      • Kingston’s Lifetime warranty
      • Overclocks pretty well

- Cons:
      • Comparatively bad performance with XMP profiles
      Last edited by AFQ; 08-01-11 at 04:32 PM.
      A console lover is like a car enthusiast that loves the driving. A PC lover is like a car enthusiast that loves building their car as well.

King Of The Kings
      I am:
      Roflol

My Consoles
      PC , PS Vita , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 2333T Full HD
        CPU: Intel Core i3 530
        Cooler: DeepCool Ice Matrix 400
        Motherboard: Asus P7H55-V
        Memory: Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB 1600MHz
        GPU: Sparkle Calibre X460G
        HDD: Seagate 500GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master CM690 II
        PSU: Xigmatek 500W
      Great Review Again. Keep up the good work

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      Roflol

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung LED s20b300 20"
        CPU: Intel core i5 4430
        Cooler: stock
        Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H
        Memory: Gskill ripjaws 4gbx3=12gb
        GPU: Sapphire R9 270x dual x OC
        HDD: Seagate barracuda 1 tb
        Chassis: Xigmatech utgard
        PSU: Thermaltek lite power 600 watts
        Soundcard: built in 7.1 ch
      ram packing is beautiful although ram themself are also beautiful from both physically and performance point of view
      you have done superb job

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      Bored

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Dell E2209W 22" LCD
        CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 @3.4 GHz
        Cooler: Stock
        Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
        Memory: 12 GB Kingston DDR 3 @1600 MHz
        GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC Windforce 2x
        HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250 GB 7200.10
        Chassis: Standard
        PSU: Cooler Master 460 Extreme Power Plus
        Soundcard: Built-in
      nice review

Banned
      I am:
      In Love

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: V7 17"LCD
        CPU: INTEL CORE2DUO E7500 [email protected]
        Motherboard: ASUS P5G41T-M LX
        Memory: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333
        GPU: xfx GTS 250 core edition 512MB
        HDD: SEAGATE 250 GB SATA
        Chassis: COOLER MASTER CHASSIS CM GLADIATOR 600
        PSU: Silverstone strider 500W SST-ST50F-ES
        Soundcard: REALTEK HD AUDIO
      awesome review

??error??
      I am:
      Fine

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Dell 24" ST2410 (1080p)
        CPU: Core i5 750
        Cooler: CM Hyper 212+
        Motherboard: ASUS Maximus 3 Formula
        Memory: GSkill Tridents 2x2GB 2000MHz
        GPU: Galaxy GTX580
        HDD: WD 500GB Caviar Blue
        Chassis: CM 690
        PSU: CM Real Power 700W
        Soundcard: SupremeFX X-Fi
      Nice review AFQ
      Didn't like the rams though

Death Core
      I am:
      Starving

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: ACER H235H 1440P HD LCD. 23".
        CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
        Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14 Big ass Tri Fan Cooler
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA=Z97X-SOC Force
        Memory: Kingston Savage 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11
        GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980/970
        HDD: Seagate Baracudda 500GB + Kingston Hyperx3K 90GB SSD
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
        PSU: Xigmatek 1000W PSU
      Aww Soooo Cuttee.

Great review AFQ'z. I like the heatsink color combination. :O

G@M3R
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC , XB360
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: ViewSonic VX2260wm / Sharp 21" LCD
        CPU: Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6Ghz / C2Q 9550 @ 3.0Ghz
        Cooler: Cooler Master N520 / Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard / Lamptron FC-5
        Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E / Asus P5K / A4Tech X7-750BF Mice
        Memory: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB 3 x 2GB / Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz 2GB
        GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti / Sapphire HD5850 1GB
        HDD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB / WD 1TB Black + WD Blue 750GB X 2 / WD Blue 640GB / WD 1.5TB Green
        Chassis: CM 690 MODDED / AstoSys Red Bull
        PSU: Corsair TX-650W / CM 460W / Creative T6100
        Soundcard: SB X-FI XtremeMusic / SB Audigy 2 ZS
        OS: Winows Xp Sp3 / Windows 8 x64 / Win 7 Build 7600 x64
      So these were ur new 'suspicious' rams Nice review. Rams are kinda average but then again these are not meant for enthusiasts anyways. But still reaching 2200Mhz+ is good

★★ ApprenticeS´ MasteR ★★
      PG Emeritus
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Asus N56VJ
        CPU: Intel i7 3630 QM @ 2.4 GHz
        Motherboard: Asus HM76 N56VJ
        Memory: Hyundai 8GB 1600 MHZ CL 10
        GPU: nVIDIA Geforce GT 635M 2GB
        HDD: Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB
        PSU: Asus N56VJ 53Whr Battery Pack
        Soundcard: Onboard
      reaching 2200 on these rams is simply great afaq
      n i really love kingston mem fan ... very gud n simple design ...
      overall rams r great read write n copy r simply awesome n latency of 35 ns is mind blowing ... at just 1.65 ...

AFQ
      Overclocked
      Hardware Reviewer
      I am:
      Cool

My Consoles
      PC , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Dell ST2310 23" Full HD LCD
        CPU: Core i7 870
        Cooler: Thermalright Venomous X w/ TH-FDB-1600 Push-Pull
        Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus III Formula
        Memory: GeIL Ultra PLUS 2000MHz 4GB
        GPU: Calibre X460G SLi
        HDD: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB / WD Blue 320GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF932
        PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC 1000w
        Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Gold Edt. / Supreme FX
      It overclocks pretty good but i was expecting a little bit more out of it considering the stock voltage.
      A console lover is like a car enthusiast that loves the driving. A PC lover is like a car enthusiast that loves building their car as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast