GPU: Calibre X460G SLi
        HDD: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB / WD Blue 320GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF932
        PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC 1000w
        Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Gold Edt. / Supreme FX

G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz CL8 4GB Dual Channel Kit

G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz CL8 4GB Dual Channel Kit

Introduction:

G.SKILL, established in 1989, is one of the most popular memory manufacturers in the world. Their main aim is to provide superior memory products with excellent after-sales services to keep pace with ever growing needs of enthusiasts. All of their memory products need to pass rigorous tests and strict quality control procedures to make their way to the consumers. In addition to that hand tested in G.SKILL labs to ensure the highest product quality.

G.SKILL is currently providing high quality desktop memory, notebook memory and solid state drives.

Today, weíll be having a look at G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600MHz DDR3 4GB Dual Channel Kit. It is rated at 1.6v with Cl8-8-8-24 timings. G.SKILL refers to Ripjaws as their ĎGaming Seriesí.

Packaging and the Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws memory comes in a transparent plastic clam shell.

Clam shell also includes a paper leaflet with some information about G.SKILL and the memory kit itself.

This particular Ripjaws Kit comes with blue heatsinks. They are small as compared to usual memory heat spreader so itíll not cause any major clearance issues with big CPU air coolers.

A hot looking red and black Ripjaws sticker is pasted onto both sides of the ram sticks.

Specifications are mentioned on the both sticks. This particular kit runs at 1600MHz with CL8 timings and 1.6v. Each stick carries 2GB of memory chips, which makes up a total of 4GB for two sticks, perfect for todayís dual channel system.

Ripjaws heatsinks are deigned to give optimal cooling to the memory chips.

Our Ripjaws Kit came with green PCB which ruins the aesthetics of the memory kit but Iíve also seen some Ripjaws kits with black PCB though color of PCB has no effect on performance of the memory. Its all about looks.

Specifications:

Test Setup:

Testing:

Like every other DDR3 memory, this kit runs at JEDEC standard (1333MHz, CL9) by default. To achieve its rated speeds, you need to enable XMP profile from BIOS. Enabling the XMP profile will take the memory to its rated speeds of 1600MHz CL8-8-8-24 with 1.6v.

Here is a shot of CPUz showing XMP, part number and other info of this memory kit.

Iíll overclock this memory far ahead of its XMP profile speeds but before we look at how well this memory kit overclocks letís have a quick look at some facts about memory overclocking and my overclocking procedure:

I selected P55 chipset to test overclocking capability this memory kit instead of Sandy Bridge (P67/H67) because with P67 you canít overclock the memory in the traditional manner. You can only adjust multiplier ratio which will change the memory speed to preset levels (i.e. 800MHz, 1066MHz, 1333MHz, 1600MHz, 1855MHz, 2133MHz and 2200MHz) but with P55 you can freely adjust the memory speed to whatever you like. Memory overclocking is a very difficult task. There are a lot of things you have to keep in mind to get the most out of it. There are many settings and you need to find the best possible combination. Increasing memory speed will not give you enough boost until you fine tune your timings too and other way around. Timings play a vital role in your memory performance. Then voltage comes into play, you canít keep on increasing memory voltage especially with X58 and P55 chipset as memory controller (IMC) is located on your processor and too much voltage can damage it. To achieve higher memory clocks increasing memory voltage only will not help, youíll need to increase IMC voltage as well. Overall, itís a very complicated and time consuming process.

- As most of you know that memory is linked with base clock. We need to change base clock in order to change memory speed (in P55 and X58 ) hence it changes overall speed of processor but weíll try to keep processor clock near 4.0GHz by changing multiplier when needed.
      - Memory stability will be tested with MemTest, itís a small but very handy tool to test stability of memory.
      - Iíll test the memory modules in Dual Channel mode.

Below is a graph showing the overclocked speeds and timings of this Ripjaws memory kit:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600MHz kit did 1335MHz at CL6 and 1570MHz at CL7. Thatís not impressive at all. Overclockability of this kit shines after CL7; we were able to achieve 1806MHz at its stock timings with a minor voltage bump, thatís 206MHz more than its stock speeds. 2024MHz at 9-9-9-24 and 2180MHz at 9-11-9-27 are also pretty good overclocks.

Letís move on to some performance testing now, weíll test our overclocked memory with a couple of different softwares.

- Lavalys Everest:

Lavalys created and developed market leading computer diagnostics, hardware monitoring, network audit, and benchmarking software solutions based on our proven, award-winning EVEREST technology.

We used Lavalys Everest Memory Benchmark tool to test read, write and copy speeds. Furthermore we also tested Latency.

Read

Write

Copy

Latency

- MaxxMEM Preview:

It tests your computerís raw memory performance, combining copy, read, write and latency tests into one global score. It contains the same Memory benchmark routine as MaxxPI does. So your reached results will be comparable to Memory/Latency benchmarks done by MaxxPI.

Memory Score

Latency Score

Total MaxxMem Score

Final Words:

1600MHz frequency is pretty much standard these days with DDR3 memory. It should be the lowest speed one should get. With the release of 2nd Generation Intel Core i Series processors speed of the memory became more important since its IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) takes full advantage of memoryís speed and latency to give a fair amount of boost in performance.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Kit we have in our hands today is a fine 1600MHz 4GB Dual Channel kit. It gives fairly good performance at rated speeds and if you are an overclocking maniac, even then it wouldnít disappoint you. It doesnít have the best overclockability Iíve seen in a while but itís not bad either.

1.6v of this kit is also an advantage as compared to 1.65v on most of the kits in the market. I know difference isnít much but still itís there.

This kit can be bought for 7000PKR here in Pakistan, which makes it a great value for money as compared to other memory kits in local market.

G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz CL8 kit gets our top pick award for great performance at an even greater price.

- Pros:
      ē Stock timings and speed
      ē Good Overclocking abilities
      ē Great looks
      ē Lifetime warranty

- Cons:
      ē Green PCB (??)

This G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600MHz CL8 and other G.SKILL products can be bought from IAMEXTREME.
      Last edited by AFQ; 25-05-11 at 02:32 PM.
      A console lover is like a car enthusiast that loves the driving. A PC lover is like a car enthusiast that loves building their car as well.

PG Juggernaut
      I am:
      Happy

My Consoles
      PC , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: HPx20 Led
        CPU: i5 750 @ 4GHZ
        Cooler: CM Hyper 212+
        Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
        Memory: Hyperx Genesis SE 4Gb Kit
        GPU: Sparkle GTX 460 Calibre Edition
        HDD: Seagate 1TB
        Chassis: CM SCOUT
        PSU: Xigmatek 500w Go Green
        Soundcard: BuiltIn
      nice job bro.keep it up...

BuRnING D3$IrE
      I am:
      Fine

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        CPU: dual core e6500 2.93Ghz
        Cooler: stock
        Motherboard: asus p5kpl
        Memory: 2GB DDR 2
        GPU: GTX 260
        HDD: 250GB
        Chassis: dont know!
        PSU: 460watt
        Soundcard: audigy 2
      nice review! keep up the good work

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      Happy

My Consoles
      PC , PS3 , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Acer g245 hq 3d moniter
        CPU: CORE i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz
        Cooler: STOCK
        Motherboard: ASUS P8h61 mle
        Memory: Corsair dominater4gb 1600 mhz
        GPU: Msi r7870 hawk edition
        HDD: seagate 500gb
        Chassis: haf 932
        PSU: Newton power 1000 watts
        Soundcard: on board
      nice review............

King Of The Kings
      I am:
      Roflol

My Consoles
      PC , PS Vita , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 2333T Full HD
        CPU: Intel Core i3 530
        Cooler: DeepCool Ice Matrix 400
        Motherboard: Asus P7H55-V
        Memory: Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB 1600MHz
        GPU: Sparkle Calibre X460G
        HDD: Seagate 500GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master CM690 II
        PSU: Xigmatek 500W
      Awesome work!

PG Xtremist
      PG Emeritus
      I am:
      Yeehaw

My Consoles
      PC
      nice review written
      and loled on green pcb thing but in performance this series got a very good reputation

[Assuming Direct Control]
      I am:
      Roflol

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3 , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 22'' P2250 (Full HD;2ms;50,000:1)|LED 15.6"
        CPU: INTEL Corei5 4570 | INTEL Core i5 3210
        Cooler: Stock
        Motherboard: Asus H87M-E
        Memory: Corsair Vengeance (4x3) 12GB Triple Channel-1600 9-9-9-24|4GB DDR3
        GPU: MSI Cyclone 460GTX OC Edition|AMD 7670m
        HDD: 1TB Seagate - Western Digital 1.5 TB + 320GB|500GB
        Chassis: CM 690 (Xigmatek Fans+Lmptrn Slot Protectors+Lmptrn FC-5)|Dell N5520
        PSU: Corsair GS800 Gaming Series 2013
      Nice Review awesome RAMS

Honest Trader
      I am:
      In Love

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Dell St2220l 1080p
        CPU: Corei5 2400 2ndGen
        Cooler: Xtrimetek
        Motherboard: P8p67
        Memory: 4 Gb Ripjaws 2133Mhz
        GPU: GTX 260 superclocked Edition
        HDD: WD Cavier Black 1TB
        Chassis: Antec Nine Hundered Chasis
        PSU: Antec 650Watt Earth Watts ( 80 plus)
        Soundcard: Creative Xtreme Music Fad1lty X-FI SB0460
      Very Awesome Review Bro

Pc And Cars Lover
      I am:
      Busy

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3 , PS Vita
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: DELL ST2420L / Samsung S20C300BL
        CPU: Core i7 4770k / Core i3 2100
        Cooler: CM Nepton 280L / CM Sphere
        Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / MSI P67A-C45
        Memory: Corsair Vengence 8gb 1600 DDR3 / Kingston KVR 6GB DDR3
        GPU: GigaByte Windforce R9 290 OC / HIS HD6790
        HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Seagate 1TB / Seagate 250GB-WD 320GB
        Chassis: CM HAF 932 / CM 690
        PSU: Corsair Ax1200 (Modular) / CM Real Power Pro 620 (Modular)
        Soundcard: Builtin
      Awesome Rams..