GPU: Calibre X460G SLi
        HDD: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB / WD Blue 320GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master HAF932
        PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC 1000w
        Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Gold Edt. / Supreme FX

Deepcool Gamer Storm

Deepcool Gamer Storm

Introduction:

Deepcool, based in China, is not a very popular company to the cooling scene but it’s fairly established company. They have a big range of cooling products for Servers, Desktops and Laptops. Their main goal is to provide maintain customer satisfaction by serving customer’s ever-changing thermal needs and providing the quickest and most comprehensive service available.

Today, we’ll be having a detailed look at their all new Gamer Storm CPU Cooler. So without any further ado, let’s start it.

Packaging and the Cooler:

Deepcool Gamer Storm comes in a really nice and stiff white box. It’s surely the best coolers box I’ve ever seen. It has that sleek professional look, I am really impressed.

Front side of the box actually has a magnetic flap that holds it with the box. It has some traditional info about the cooler like some salient features, the company logo etc.

Back side of box seems to be same as the front but if you look carefully all those features aren’t mentioned here. It has some warnings and barcode back there.

After opening up the magnetic flap on top, you’ll notice that there is another flap in there. It has these two small ‘windows’ in it which give a sneak peek of the cooler and 120mm fan.

Luckily, this one was the last flap. Right under it, cooler, fan and accessory box are firmly tucked in sturdy foam. Cooler is fully secure in this packaging.

Right on the first look you’ll notice two things about the Deepcool Gamer Storm, it’s black in color and it’s one of those having traditional tower design. The whole cooler is plated with dark nickel which gives it a very nice look.

It has a total of 48 fins to dissipate heat faster and more efficiently.

It has six 6mm sintered powder heatpipes conduct heat from the processor quickly to protect it from overheating. They go all the from base up to the top fin but like most coolers they are not popped out of the top fin but Deepcool has done a really great job by hiding them under the top fin. It weighs a total of 1189g with fan, that’s one heavy cooler.

Fins from both sides are closed in order to create a wind tunnel effect in fins which helps in keeping the air directed towards the fins rather than escaping from sides.

Top most fin is almost flat with near-mirror finish surface. It has a small Deepcool logo embedded in it.

Fins are pressed onto the heatpipes for optimal cooling.

There is another little heatsink right on the upper side of base. It helps in directly cooling your processor with some accidental airflow passing by. It’s surely a great addition.

Heatpipes are soldered to the cooper base for maximum contact. Base is really flat and has reflective mirror finish.

Accessories:

Deepcool Gamer Storm comes with quite a lot of accessories. At first glance even I was terrified about how I’ll sort out that what is what but the little user manual was extremely helpful. It supports each and every Intel and AMD socket currently available.

Here is a complete list of what should be included in a retail package beside the cooler:
      • Fan wire clip x4
      • Low-noise adapter x1
      • 4-pin PSU adapter x1
      • 4-pin Y-shape adapter x1
      • Intel retention plate x2
      • AMD retention plate x2
      • AMD Backplate x1
      • Insulating washer x5
      • LGA1366 rivet nut x4
      • Hex-head nut x4
      • Washer x5
      • LGA775 backplate x1
      • Thumb screws x2
      • LGA1156 backplate x1
      • Thermal compound x1

- 120mm PWN Fan:

The included PWN fan has blue blades and black frame. Its speed ranges from 500RPM to 1500RPM producing an air flow of 66.3CFM at max. Its noise varies from 17.6~27.6dBa according to speed. It has Strong plastic frame with soft and elastic TPE cover to absorb operating vibration. This frame has this rubbery feel upon touch. It comes with a nice braided cord.

Specification:

Installation:

For the first time, we’ll be installing this cooler on a motherboard with no CPU in it. Well, actually I was so lazy to take out motherboard from my PC and take pictures so to show you guys, I installed on a board that I was previously using in my PC. In fact it’s the same board on which the cooler was tested a last week.

Anyhow, it’s an ASUS P7H55-V LGA1156 motherboard. Now, I’ll show you in details how to mount Deepcool Gamer Storm on an LGA1156 motherboard.

1st of all you need to peel off the film of the insulating cushion on back on LGA1156 back plate.

Position the back plate in line with the mounting holes of motherboard and stick it tightly onto the motherboard. Now slip the white washers onto the Hex-head nuts and fasten the nuts onto the motherboard.

As per user manual, now we need to apply thermal compound on the processor but I’ll skip this step.

As shows in picture, move the spring screws of Intel retention plate to the corresponding holes of LGA1156 socket. Like many other manufacturers, Deepcool is also using one of those all-in-one retention plates. Now, you need to secure the retention plate to the heatsink base by threading the thumb screws into the right holes.

Now, put the heatsink onto the processor, adjust an align the spring screws of the retention plate with the Hex-head nuts and thread the screws into the nuts by hand. Don’t over tighten these screws; just leave them at their natural end.

Now, install the included 120mm fan using the included fan clips and connect the fan cable 4-pin fan header onto your motherboard. Deepcool has also included extra fan clips in case you want to install another fan to increase cooling performance even further.

Even with the fan installed, i have enough space to populate 3 out of 4 memory slots on this motherboard.

Testing:

This cooler was tested against Thermalrigh Venomous X. Fans used for both coolers are Thermalright TH-FDB-12-1600, they produce 63.7CFM at 1600RPM. I have also included results obtained by the stock fan that came with cooler for you guys to have an idea that what kind of performance you should expect out of box.

To record load temperatures I ran Prime 95 (Blend) for 20mins.

- Stock Clocks Test:

- Overclocked Test:

Final Words:

Deepcool Gamer Storm proved to be a very good cooler. It was able to handle i7 870 at 4.2GHz which is quite impressive. Even with single fan installed, temperatures were well within the safe range. Unfortunately, Deepcool haven't included a second fan but they have added extra fan clips so you can mount almost any 120mm.

The most worth mentioning thing about the cooler is its looks, its black shiny color really stands among others but it’s a finger print magnet. Furthermore, paired up with blue and black fan, it looks really awesome.

It can be easily mounted to almost any Intel and AMD socket in the market, which is a big plus if you keep changing your hardware every week.

It retails for around 70USD, price is bit steep as compared to other competitors but overall it’s a great cooler.

- Pros:
      • Great performance
      • Easy installation
      • Good looks
      • Included Thermal Compound

- Cons:
      • Only 1 fan included
      Last edited by AFQ; 27-11-10 at 05:58 PM.
      A console lover is like a car enthusiast that loves the driving. A PC lover is like a car enthusiast that loves building their car as well.

The Ravager
      I am:
      Devilish

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3 , Wii , PS Vita , Xbox One , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: 3 * 30 Inch Dell Nvidia Surround
        CPU: Intel 3970 Xtreme
        Cooler: Corsair H100i
        Motherboard: MSI Big Bang X-Power 2
        Memory: 32-Gb Dominator Platnium 2666
        GPU: Quad Gtx-780 TI
        HDD: 4 - 2000gb - 2 - 1000gb hdd , 256gb SSD
        Chassis: Xigmatic Elysium Modded
        PSU: Corsair 1200i / Thermal Take 1500 Watt
        Soundcard: Sound Blaster Omni External 5.1 Thx DTS
      as always a very nice review ..top notch good read ..

Nikkon:-D7100 WITH 18-135MM / 50mm / 35mm & 70-200 /28-105 d

PG Xtremist
      PG Emeritus
      I am:
      Yeehaw

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Viewsonic vx2260wm 22inch Full HD
        CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K
        Cooler: Xigmatek The PRIME
        Motherboard: Asrock Z77 eXtreme 6 (IVY BRIDGE)
        Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8 Gigs @ 2000Mhz
        GPU: SPARKLE GTX 570 | Nvida 8400Gs
        HDD: Mushkin Callisto 60GB SSD | WD 320 GB + WD 250GB + WD 500GB
        Chassis: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Red Dragon
        PSU: Corsair 850Watts [MDPC-X Sleeved]
        Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
      Really like the Blue Touch on the Fan Looks Different
      The Thor Hammer Style Nickle plated thing looks Good nice Fins nicely packed and Great performer giving good head to head to VENX

Sexual Harassment Panda
      Associate Editor
      I am:
      Stressed

My Consoles
      PC , PS3
      excellent review but you gotta tell me where do you get this stuff from? and where does WCCFtech get their stuff from?
      Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

PG Xtremist
      I am:
      ----

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: VX2260wm
        CPU: Core i5 2500k
        Cooler: TRUE 120
        Motherboard: z68 Ext4 Gen3
        Memory: Kingston 8 GB
        GPU: GTX 580 UD
        HDD: Seagate 2TB x 2
        Chassis: Pantheon
        PSU: CM 850 Real Power PRO
        Soundcard: SB0880
      excellent review as always
      similar performance as of many other air coolers
      from reading a lot of reviews and personally using many high end air coolers, it is noticed that this the time to see an cooler with totally different performance, how? i mean all air coolers easily reaches 75~80C which of course significantly high temperature, i wish to see an air cooler which keep this temp. around 60~65C,

Master Linux
      I am:
      Happy

My Consoles
      PC , XB360
      My PC Specs
        CPU: Core i5 @ 3.6Ghz (1.2v)
        Cooler: Xigmatic Thor's Hammer
        Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
        Memory: Kingston 4gb DDR3 @ 1333Mhz
        GPU: GigaByte 7850 1-Gb
        HDD: 1 TB SG || 500gb WD
        Chassis: CM 690 Nvidia Edition
        PSU: Xigmetic 600W
        Soundcard: VIA 7.1 HD DTX surround
      It looks more like my Xigmatek Hammer thors....

“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”
      Marcus Brigstocke Find me on Facebook and Flickr .

PG Xtremist
      PG Emeritus
      I am:
      Yeehaw

My Consoles
      PC
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Viewsonic vx2260wm 22inch Full HD
        CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K
        Cooler: Xigmatek The PRIME
        Motherboard: Asrock Z77 eXtreme 6 (IVY BRIDGE)
        Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8 Gigs @ 2000Mhz
        GPU: SPARKLE GTX 570 | Nvida 8400Gs
        HDD: Mushkin Callisto 60GB SSD | WD 320 GB + WD 250GB + WD 500GB
        Chassis: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Red Dragon
        PSU: Corsair 850Watts [MDPC-X Sleeved]
        Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
      excellent review as always
      similar performance as of many other air coolers
      from reading a lot of reviews and personally using many high end air coolers, it is noticed that this the time to see an cooler with totally different performance, how? i mean all air coolers easily reaches 75~80C which of course significantly high temperature, i wish to see an air cooler which keep this temp. around 60~65C,
      this is why i say i dont expect wonders from air cooler
      water cooling is the real deal from which u can expect

PG Juggernaut
      I am:
      Bored

My Consoles
      PC , XB360 , PS3
      Good review , buddy.

King Of The Kings
      I am:
      Roflol

My Consoles
      PC , PS Vita , PS4
      My PC Specs
        Monitor: Samsung 2333T Full HD
        CPU: Intel Core i3 530
        Cooler: DeepCool Ice Matrix 400
        Motherboard: Asus P7H55-V
        Memory: Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB 1600MHz
        GPU: Sparkle Calibre X460G
        HDD: Seagate 500GB
        Chassis: Cooler Master CM690 II
        PSU: Xigmatek 500W
      Awesome Review, 10/10

PG Rookie
      I am:
      ----

well its a bit pricy and this fact should have been disclosed into the review. A review should not sound like marketing supplement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast